Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Expats outnumber Spanish in 15 CB Towns!!

Expats outnumber Spanish in 15 CB Towns!!

Old May 6th 2007, 10:03 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expats outnumber Spanish in 15 CB Towns!!

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Shouldn't the word "slowly" be between the words "english" and "at" in the above matt?
There was nothing slow about the colonel!
Old May 6th 2007, 10:06 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
There was nothing slow about the colonel!
You called him colonel, a little bit polite really so maybe your terminology needs to increase so that you labelled him correctly. I will start you off with ignorant pig - too mild I agree but it is a start.

Rosemary
Old May 6th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Lionda cant agree more. I really found myself using my spanish last night when i was out with some spanish speaking people. I found myself learning more, they were even telling me slang words and stuff like that. It was brilliant. They agreed that if you stay in a British circle you'll never learn the spanish unless you discipline yourself to get lessons, get CDs, watch spanish TV, and generally learn it. For the CDs i would recommend the Michele Thomas ones. He explains things very well. And from having that on in the car for the month leading up to me coming here, i was able to speak a bit of spanish last night and was told I spoke more spanish than some english people who have been here 10 years. So thats good i guess hehe.

I feel i want to learn the spanish otherwise im cut off. I know its not going to happen overnight, but day by day hopefully it'll get better. And its great just being able to say stuff like "no hoy muchas gracias, manana possible. buenos dias amigo adios". Rather than 'no' to people trying to sell me stuff hehe. OK bad example hehe
hey online amiga where do you get this cd from I've heard a few people mention it?
Old May 6th 2007, 10:11 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeanc
hey online amiga where do you get this cd from I've heard a few people mention it?
Sorry Jean I know that Andrew will answer but you can get it at Waterstones, Smiths etc but I bought mine from E-bay so much cheaper.

Rosemary
Old May 6th 2007, 10:14 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
You called him colonel, a little bit polite really so maybe your terminology needs to increase so that you labelled him correctly. I will start you off with ignorant pig - too mild I agree but it is a start.

Rosemary
He was just one of the old school British types, still had his head in the Empire and nothing would ever change him.

Thats why he still hired Brits to work for him.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:23 am

Sorry Jean I know that Andrew will answer but you can get it at Waterstones, Smiths etc but I bought mine from E-bay so much cheaper.

Rosemary
Another good system is Synergy Spanish which is very reasonable and can be downloaded onto your computer. This course is set out as written exercises and recordings so that you hear it too. There was a link on BE a little while ago so you should be able to find it easily.

Rosemary
Old May 6th 2007, 10:31 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I have told this story before but where I used to live in Spain used to be very Spanish, in fact it used to be a haven for Northern Spanish wanting some southern sun, (lots of Basques) but fairly close by was a very old Expat enclave, on that site there was a place I used to do some work on and the guy there was a retired army guy, had lived out there for 20 odd years, and honestly did not speak a single word of Spanish, he used to SHOUT English at the Spaniards he had to deal with.

Yep, that'll get it!
I know people like that..................'I've been coming in this bank/bar/shop for 20 years...isn't it about time they learned to speak english!!'
Old May 6th 2007, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I know people like that..................'I've been coming in this bank/bar/shop for 20 years...isn't it about time they learned to speak english!!'
This type of person makes me ashamed of being the same nationality.

Rosemary
Old May 6th 2007, 10:36 am
Straw Man.

That is EXACTLY what he used to say!

I went to the local market once, he spotted me and called me over.

When I got there he said to me "This bloody woman cant understand a bean of what I'm saying!"

"been coming to this market for 15 years now, you would have thought she would have learnt at least some English by now!"

He just didn't get it!
Old May 6th 2007, 10:40 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

That is EXACTLY what he used to say!

I went to the local market once, he spotted me and called me over.

When I got there he said to me "This bloody woman cant understand a bean of what I'm saying!"

"been coming to this market for 15 years now, you would have thought she would have learnt at least some English by now!"

He just didn't get it!
I get so annoyed with people who complain that, say, telefonica don't have english speaking operators (in fact they do), or they can't get hold of them

I have been known to point out to people in supermarkets or wherever that if they were spanish in england, do they honestly think there would be someone to speak to them in spanish?

I'm quite popular in our local Mercadona.............
Old May 6th 2007, 10:46 am

I get so annoyed with people who complain that, say, telefonica don't have english speaking operators (in fact they do), or they can't get hold of them

I have been known to point out to people in supermarkets or wherever that if they were spanish in england, do they honestly think there would be someone to speak to them in spanish?

I'm quite popular in our local Mercadona.............
My Spanish is still in its infancy but would never have the expectation of people learning English to make it easier for me. In fact we find that the neighbours try hard to use simple words spoken clearly and wave their arms about alot to help us with communication. If we expected them to learn English I think they would just ignore us and that would be a disaster as we want to talk with them.

Rosemary
Old May 6th 2007, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future

interesting one this! my 2 children are spanish born and returned to the uk 10 years ago and remained proud of their "Spanishness" and always keen to tell school pals etc. Now we are returning back to Spain so do they inflate the expat or the Spanish population?? suppose they are technically expat expats!!
Old May 6th 2007, 9:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

My Spanish is still in its infancy but would never have the expectation of people learning English to make it easier for me. In fact we find that the neighbours try hard to use simple words spoken clearly and wave their arms about alot to help us with communication. If we expected them to learn English I think they would just ignore us and that would be a disaster as we want to talk with them.

Rosemary
What direction are they waving their arms ?

Old May 7th 2007, 8:10 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
My hubby should get on well over there then as he already talks with his arms
Old May 7th 2007, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by jdr
What direction are they waving their arms ? http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/9.gif

One of the old ladies was not totally convinced that we understood her when she said that she was having chicken for lunch. So she started making clucking noises, flapped one arm and made her other hand into a chickens comb.

Amuses us still to remember it.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.