Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Expats Heating Allowance - Justified?

Expats Heating Allowance - Justified?

Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:16 pm
Banned

Davidindevon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expats Heating Allowance - Justified?

I am interested to hear how you retired expats can justify being paid this allowance. I would argue that only residents in the UK should be entitled to it. You chose to move abroad so all you should get is your pension and nothing else!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:25 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expats Heating Allowance - Justified?

Originally Posted by Davidindevon
I am interested to hear how you retired expats can justify being paid this allowance. I would argue that only residents in the UK should be entitled to it. You chose to move abroad so all you should get is your pension and nothing else!
I don't get it - I'm not old enough

do you live in Spain?

if not, then you have no idea how very cold it can get in the winter & how expensive it is to heat the houses, so I'd say it's needed possibly even more here than in the UK - I know it cost my dad less to keep his house in the UK at a constant 25º+ than it costs us to get ours up to around 20º

in any case - it's a moot point - the EU says it's an entitlement & essentially part of the pension.........
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:29 pm
Banned

How on earth can you need it more than in the UK? You gave the game away by saying it costs your Father more to heat his house in the UK than it does you in Spain! My argument won methinks.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth can you need it more than in the UK? You gave the game away by saying it costs your Father more to heat his house in the UK than it does you in Spain! My argument won methinks.

I'll have a glass of whatever it is you're drinking.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to read Lynn's post again, carefully this time!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:37 pm
Banned

By way of explanation for my first reply re your Father it would be more expensive to you if you had to keep your home at 25% for an extended period of time. It was expats in Spain who complained to the EU that the poor mites were not getting their heating allowance like their UK counterparts. Pathetic money grabbers. They had better hope that the EU does not give them a haircut!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:39 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

so you also think that the Poles, Lithuanian's etc that get paid Child Benefit for children that have never been in the UK shouldn't get that payment either ?

WFA isn't just given to those in Spain but to Brit expats in every country of the EU, so look forward to seeing you trying to wind them up across BE Europe - especially as the number of people receiving it was increased on instructions from the EU

ttfn
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:44 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

no... that's exactly the opposite of what I said...

It cost him LESS to keep his house in the UK MUCH WARMER (like a flippin greenhouse!) than it costs us to just about keep the chill off ours here in Spain
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:44 pm
Banned

You are absolutely right they should not get that money. I chose the Spain Forum on which to post my opinion purely because it has the highest number of UK expats. For your further information UK expats, wherever they reside, should only be entitled to their pension, full stop.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:45 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I'll have a glass of whatever it is you're drinking.
pass me a bottle ....
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how people thing Spain is warm and sunny all year round.

This is the reality - and Seville is in the south! In the north it's even colder.

Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

You are absolutely right they should not get that money. I chose the Spain Forum on which to post my opinion purely because it has the highest number of UK expats. For your further information UK expats, wherever they reside, should only be entitled to their pension, full stop.
in your opinion .............
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:50 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

considering you only joined the forum 9 days ago you have upset alot of people in a very short time.
but you really must give those in France and Italy the opportunity to make response as well. After all, they all need a good laugh and an opportunity to shake some warmth into their frozen bodies

Last edited by Domino; Mar 28th 2013 at 2:57 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:54 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Funny how people thing Spain is warm and sunny all year round.

This is the reality - and Seville is in the south! In the north it's even colder.

http://www.ecuadorciencia.org/images...lla-nieve2.jpg
odd isn't it..... must be those holiday programmes
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:55 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The whole arguement about heating allowance where you are etc etc is avoiding the issue.
The WFA shlould be scrapped, the UK OAP increased by £5 week.
Those under pensionable age where ever they are would lose it.
Those in real need without income sufficient to pay UK tax would see no change again where ever they are.
It is an allowance not a right and could be removed by government when ever they wanted.
As part of the OAP it is permanent and would increase by the annual % rise in pensions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.