Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Expat 'society'

Expat 'society'

Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expat 'society'

I wonder if anyone else has experienced what we have here.

We live inland from Costa Blanca / Gandia and, therefore, our expat community is reasonably small. It seems here that there is a lot of back-stabbing, name-calling, general gossiping amonst the british with very few having a good word to say about their fellow countrymen.

Is this a general situation for expats in Spain? or is it just parculiar to here?

Also, I'm beginning to think that it takes a particular 'type' of person to be an expat in Spain - do we all need to be misfits and is that why we don't seem to integrate well?

I think also, it may be my paranoia kicking in but perhaps I'm one of these misfits as well - or is it just everyone else?

Thoughts please.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat 'society'

I don't think it is general but I do think it happens, I also think there are several types of people who are ex pats and one lot don't like t'other much. A type of snobbery I suppose.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:32 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not the norm.
There are those ,as in the UK, who are obsessed with one-upmanship,....better house,better,car,better everything right down to a bottle of wine,and whatever posh restaurant they were in for their last meal...........whilst there are others who are happy with whatever they have,....rich or poor,....and just get on making the best of their everyday life without giving too much thought to such things.

Fortunately almost all the ones I have met have been in the latter group.
Seems you have been very unlucky with your vecinos.
Around my way good neighbours are even advertised as a plus point with the properties, but I can only say they have all been fantastic,.....the Spanish,who almost look on neighbours as family and a few Brits scattered a distance away, but also salt of the earth, friendly and helpful.
I reckon its difficult to put a true value on good neighbours but I count myself very fortunate and consider them worth their weight in gold.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:55 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

... and people ask me why I came back from a country I love to death.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

We live inland from Costa Blanca / Gandia and, therefore, our expat community is reasonably small. It seems here that there is a lot of back-stabbing, name-calling, general gossiping amonst the british with very few having a good word to say about their fellow countrymen.

Is this a general situation for expats in Spain? or is it just parculiar to here?

Also, I'm beginning to think that it takes a particular 'type' of person to be an expat in Spain - do we all need to be misfits and is that why we don't seem to integrate well?

I think also, it may be my paranoia kicking in but perhaps I'm one of these misfits as well - or is it just everyone else?

Thoughts please.
I've met quite a few of that mentality in Denia. Some of them seem to follow each other around the world and have met previously in Africa and Hong Kong.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Not a good advert for your community
I certainly wont drop my clogs there.
Lets face it most of us come to espana to get away from keep up with the Jones.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
Lets face it most of us come to espana to get away from keep up with the Jones.
Oy!!!!! Dont bring me into it!!!

Theres a lesson to be learned. When I lived in England I picked my friends carefully. Some people I just wasnt interested in befriending. Some poeple were a pain, and some (as mentioned above) were backstabbers etc.

So why when I come to Spain would I want to change things. I pick my friends carefully here and only mix with people I like.

Though to be honest I dont see much of what the OP mentioned around here, and we're not far from Gandia either
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:51 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
... and people ask me why I came back from a country I love to death.
Well, ...tell us why?
Because you ended up in a situation as in post no.1,...?
...in which case there were surely other alternatives.
Would be genuinely interested to hear your views.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:51 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

We thought we had chosen our friends carefully, but clearly not!

It's not really a big issue, we'll just stick more with our Spanish friends rather than expats - no bad thing really.

It's just such a shame to see a community in such turmoil "who said what about whom and why ...".

Ah well, head down time.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

We thought we had chosen our friends carefully, but clearly not!

It's not really a big issue, we'll just stick more with our Spanish friends rather than expats - no bad thing really.

It's just such a shame to see a community in such turmoil "who said what about whom and why ...".

Ah well, head down time.
there's a lot of it around here too - they say if you donn't know someone then you know someone who does!!

we've been on the receiving end of totally untrue gossip & have heard dreadful things that we know to be untrue about people we know

a lot of the gossip mongers have packed up & gone though in recent months
Old Aug 14th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

a lot of the gossip mongers have packed up & gone though in recent months[/QUOTE]

Good riddence to them I say.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 7:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
a lot of the gossip mongers have packed up & gone though in recent months
Good riddence to them I say.[/QUOTE]

you said it
Old Aug 14th 2009, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

Thoughts please.
no, youre not alone. i have found it too in a small expat community. the problem here has petered out somewhat as many have left. it all boiled down to the same thing here - work. if you could be directly termed as competition in any way, you were stabbed in the back. happened to me, over something i'm not even involved with work wise. but i also knew 2 friends, who both got slated really badly by others in the same line of work, and once the chinese whispers start.... everyone started panicking for the small ammount of work around, and the bitchiness came out.
we stopped going to any of the places frequented by this twots
DD
Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:07 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Well, ...tell us why?
Because you ended up in a situation as in post no.1,...?
...in which case there were surely other alternatives.
Would be genuinely interested to hear your views.
No you wouldn't but I will tell you anyway.

One of the things that amazed me about Spain and compared to other countries I have lived in it happened a proportionately higher amount of time there, was that for a country that was supposed to be a better life, a better place to be, their new beginning, there are a lot of very unhappy, miserable, depressed, nasty, snide, two faced expats.

Just saying like. Once I moved away from the Urb Ghettos life improved exponentially, but while there it was living hell.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

I think it boils down to "fish & ponds"
In the U.K. little fish big pond, when they get here they think
they are big fish in a little pond,full of their own self importance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.