Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Expat pensions could be frozen post-Brexit

Expat pensions could be frozen post-Brexit

Old Dec 10th 2018, 6:33 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat pensions could be frozen post-Brexit

Yes, it would be very difficult for many reasons, but the law recently changed to allow it. Prior to that you had to be returning permanently.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 7:10 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Extract from Govt. Policy paper, a few days ago -
Hmmmmm - can't help noticing the rather vague and ambiguous wording of this one :
20. We will continue to push the EU and Member States to secure these rights as soon as possible, which are in the mutual interest of all our citizens. Where it is in our control, the UK will also continue to preserve certain rights of UK nationals in the EU, for example by continuing to pay an uprated UK state pension to eligible UK nationals living in the EU. 4
"continuing to pay … eligible UK nationals" - so where does that leave those who have contributed but aren't yet in receipt of their pensions or who have contributed but aren't UK nationals? And what are the criteria for eligibility? "Where it is in our control" - I think my previous post on the situation between UK & Australia speaks volumes on that matter.

Not that I'm trying to be alarmist or anything, nor pre-judging the issue. It's just that the devil is in the detail - call me a cynic but there seems to be plenty of get-out room there.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Hmmmmm - can't help noticing the rather vague and ambiguous wording of this one :

"continuing to pay … eligible UK nationals" - so where does that leave those who have contributed but aren't yet in receipt of their pensions or who have contributed but aren't UK nationals? And what are the criteria for eligibility? .
​​​​​​I was of the belief that the criteria for eligibility was those that were legally resident in an EU country on Brexit date 29 March which has now been extended to end of transition date? Hence the term "preserve ,right" so if you are under state pension age on reaching it you can get health care S1 and pension etc. Of course in time that may change but i believe that was the agreement in first phase of negotiations Dec/Jan last year.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn

How on earth would you do that? At about the same time they moved funds to GP practices to fund hospital consultant appointments. So you need to be referred by a GP TO GET THE FIRST CONSULTATION. After that you would be OK but the hospital would need an address to send follow on papers to. It seems to be a conundrum to me.
I presume the assumption is you would return and be able to use an address of a property you have retained, stay with a relative or rent somewhere. There is no way you could expect them to let you live in the hospital or be responsible for accommodating you. It is certainly better than it was before when you didn't get this, difficult or not.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be more than happy even to be able to vote in my home country,every vote counts I think & could make a difference to decisions that went before.I've not been used to a free bus etc. so won't be bothered but being allowed to open a bank account,get the winter fuel allowance & not have my little bit of English pension frozen would be enough.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 12:54 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
​​​​​​I was of the belief that the criteria for eligibility was those that were legally resident in an EU country on Brexit date 29 March which has now been extended to end of transition date? Hence the term "preserve ,right" so if you are under state pension age on reaching it you can get health care S1 and pension etc. Of course in time that may change but i believe that was the agreement in first phase of negotiations Dec/Jan last year.
Was that the agreement that was immediately dismissed in some quarters as all completely renegotiable?

I had a feeling it wasn't really the finalised position and the withdrawal agreement would supersede it in any case but I suppose it would be worth looking at the exact wording used in both those docs. Although given that the cover provided by the ECJ for wrangling time was going to run out after 8 years (if I remember correctly), even something as definite-sounding as the above might be of scant consolation to some, depending on how much one trusts future UK governments to stick by agreements made. Historically, they don't have a fantastic record on welfare matters.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Was that the agreement that was immediately dismissed in some quarters as all completely renegotiable?

I had a feeling it wasn't really the finalised position and the withdrawal agreement would supersede it in any case but I suppose it would be worth looking at the exact wording used in both those docs. Although given that the cover provided by the ECJ for wrangling time was going to run out after 8 years (if I remember correctly), even something as definite-sounding as the above might be of scant consolation to some, depending on how much one trusts future UK governments to stick by agreements made. Historically, they don't have a fantastic record on welfare matters.
No it wasn't superseded however it does all depend upon the phase that has just finished and was to be voted on tomorrow, of course that is all up in the air now. If there is a deal done then the rights are preserved if no deal who knows .As for the future again who knows like always if it happens you deal with it or return.

Last edited by Rosemary; Dec 10th 2018 at 2:34 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Dec 14th 2018, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It is worth noting that all UK state pensioners, using the S1 system, receive full Spanish healthcare. This is funded directly to Spain by the UK and the current cost is around €4000 per person per year.
I believe the 'per person per year' flat payment scheme ended several years ago and that now Spain bill the NHS for the actual cost of treatment on a per patient/per incident basis.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 6:17 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I had confirmation of the payments and the amounts involved direct from the UK department of health about a year ago. What you are describing is a different system, possibly the EHIC. If they did it on a per incident basis, it would be far too complicated for pensioners who live here. For example, in my case I generated 5 individual costly incidents yesterday - and that was just for checkups!
Old Dec 18th 2018, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Just in -

From UK Govt.

Doesn't work, so

I am a UK national living in the EU. Will I still get my State Pension?

Yes.

Will UK nationals continue to get their State Pension uprated under no deal?

The UK leaving the EU will not affect entitlement to continue receiving the UK State Pension if you live in the EU, and we are committed to uprate across the EU in 2019 to 2020. We would wish to continue uprating pensions beyond that but would take decisions in light of whether, as we would hope and expect, reciprocal arrangements with the EU are in place.

Will UK nationals continue to get their benefits transferred to EU countries including child benefit and disability benefit?

Yes.

Will I still be eligible for my in-country benefits paid by the host country?

In the unlikely event the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the UK will call on the EU and its member countries to continue their commitments to EU citizens and protect the rights of UK nationals living in EU countries.

We want UK nationals to be able to stay in the EU countries that they live in when the UK leaves the EU, and for their rights to employment, healthcare, education, benefits and services to be protected.

I live in the EEA, and have an annuity or personal pension from a UK-based firm. Will I still be able to get payments from my annuity or personal pension?

If you live in the EEA and have an annuity or personal pension with a UK-based firm, your firm should have made plans to make sure you can still get payments from your annuity or personal pension, even if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

If your firm needs to make any changes to your annuity or personal pension or the way it provides it, your firm should contact you.

If you have any concerns about whether you might be affected you should contact your firm.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Dec 18th 2018 at 2:38 pm.