Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Expat pensions could be frozen post-Brexit

Expat pensions could be frozen post-Brexit

Old Dec 8th 2018, 4:20 pm
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat pensions could be frozen post-Brexit

I do not see how reciprocal agreements have anything to do with the UK government paying the same rate to state pensioners who have paid in exactly the same whether they are in the UK or elsewhere. It’s a con and a scam.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another thread wherein the pathetic sentiments of British envy apply.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn

I thought the new universal pension was around £150 per week ???
John when it first came in it was around £155 however with inflation increases it is now just over £164 if you get full amount many don't.
https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/what-youll-get
Old Dec 8th 2018, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Yet another thread wherein the pathetic sentiments of British envy apply.
Lost me on the envy? Surely it's a discussion?
Old Dec 8th 2018, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Lost me on the envy? Surely it's a discussion?
Unfortunately, no.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If you are resident overseas then why are you still paying tax in the UK? At the very least you should be setting it off against Spanish tax under the Tax bilateral? (another reason you shouldn't still expect the UK to continue to pay benefits )
per ejemplo, Government pensions
Old Dec 8th 2018, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevesainty
per ejemplo, Government pensions
I thought we were talking about the state pension - not indexed linked final salary government pensions.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Many have contributed well in excess of 35 years NI contributions. Pay income tax on gross UK pension incomes, yet have their state pension frozen..... a disgrace
Old Dec 9th 2018, 7:50 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately that is not how the state pension was and is set up in law. Unlike a private pension which builds a fund which is drawn down after retirement (and is supported by investment and interest). The NI contribution (and other taxes) pay for current pensions and benefits. As you say you were promised a certain pension when you retired and I am sure that's about what to got. The problem is that it is no longer indexed as of right but only in certain territories which have a bilateral agreement with the UK to continue the subsidy. If you leave the UK you are no longer contributing economically to the UK but to your new host country. Spain and others seems to recognise this and that their citizens will also benefit in the UK so a reciprocal bilateral deal is very likely. If you want to blame someone then if you are not getting an indexed pension then you should blame your host country and not the UK.
On that first statement, it's often said that the UK always uprates pensions where we have a bilateral social security arrangement with the country of residence, which makes it sound as though if you don't get the increase, it's probably the fault of the host country. In fact, the default UK position is not to pay the increase unless it's legally obliged to and the arrangement is far more specific than just a bilateral SS agreement - witness the position between UK and Australia and Aussie Govt pronouncements on the matter. Like this, for example :

Why has Australia terminated the agreement?

Australia has terminated the Agreement because the UK Government refuses to change its policy of not indexing pensions in Australia, even though it does index pensions paid in some countries with which it has Agreements.

The Australian Government has made considerable efforts over the last decade to get the UK to re-negotiate the Agreement to address the indexation problem but the UK has refused all our efforts.

Termination of the Social Security Agreement with the UK - Information for Prospective Migrants

- which shows that there was a bilateral SS agreement in place when the UK decided to cease indexing pensions for its citizens in Australia.

The other sentence I highlighted is compromised, in my opinion, by the asymmetry between the numbers of citizens resident on either side in receipt of pensions from their home country (and I suspect that as time goes by that asymmetry might well get worse) ie the difficult country insofar as recognising the benefit of a bilateral deal goes probably wouldn't be Spain (and, of course, Spain is just one of 27).

Last edited by Red Eric; Dec 9th 2018 at 8:00 am.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Isn't it simply that in the longer term with an ageing population state and public sector pension costs will become unsustainable and that has to be recognised sooner rather than later.
Originally Posted by johnnyone
I see this as a far bigger risk to the long term economy than brexit.

That isn't the point I referred to in my quote? It was the term benefit being used for state pension !
As for ageing and state pension yes many people do live longer not all. The problem I see is that successive governments have ignored this for years but leaving it untill the pot was running dry. They dealt with this by increasing retirement age quite quickly. Had they started way back when they should have then the increases could have been far less noticeable to the pensioners and achieve same result .

Last edited by Rosemary; Dec 11th 2018 at 1:56 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Dec 9th 2018, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought we were talking about the state pension - not indexed linked final salary government pensions.
We were but then mention was made that ex pat pensioners don't pay income tax which somehow made it right they should lose the right to annual inflation increases in state pension. A large number are in fact tax payers for various reasons including having been employees of the state who make the rules.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 8:20 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

We were but then mention was made that ex pat pensioners don't pay income tax which somehow made it right they should lose the right to annual inflation increases in state pension. A large number are in fact tax payers for various reasons including having been employees of the state who make the rules.
Taxation rules vary from country to country. It would all depend on where you are tax resident. Don’t see what it’s really got to do with the UK government using any excuse it can make up to scam expat state pensioners.

I paid in the same amount as everyone else
Old Dec 9th 2018, 9:00 am
Account Closed

We are - to which I contributed over 40 years in contributions, in addition to the contributions I made to the Government pension scheme.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Expatrick
We are - to which I contributed over 40 years in contributions, in addition to the contributions I made to the Government pension scheme.
Snap
Old Dec 9th 2018, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Snap
45 years to both and only get the full SP because several years carer's allowance just made up for my contracted out service!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.