Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licene

exchanging driving licene

Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default exchanging driving licene

I'm looking to exchange my UK licence to a Spanish one, not just having it endorsed. I've read some of the old threads and I'm a bit confused. So my question is, just how do I go about it, what paperwork do I need, and, where do I go, I see my local trafico seems to be in Alicante. Can I get a gestor to do some of the work for me? Also does anyone have any idea of what the cost will be.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licene

There is info here as to what you need.

http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_...20LIECHENSTEIN)

I think it is about 17.80 euros. I would advise you to use a gestor as Trafico offices have a reputation for not being user friendly and have even refused to exchange a licence! Make sure the gestor does not insist on a medical certificate as you do not need it at the time of exchange - only when you renew the licence. A gestor should charge about 30 euros.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:33 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Fred, now all I have to do is find one in my area. Anyone any ideas?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

We recently went thro the same mental loop on this topic and then consulted a friend in La Guardia who sent this to me:

According to the european directive 91/439/CEE, you should change your licence, but that directive was changed, is up to you if you want to change it. Spain goverment wants you to change it, but that is not good for you because you will enroll in our points system if you commit a traffic infraction. In your case I will kept the UK licence.
Please check this link of the EU
http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/e.../index_en.html

extract:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXCHANGING OF DRIVING LICENCE
INFORMATION ON COMMUNITY LAW
If holders of driving licences changed residence or place of work from one Member State to another they used to have to exchange their licence within one year (Directive 80/1263/EEC). This obligation was abolished on 1 July 1996 and exchanging of driving licences has been voluntary since then.

In the event of voluntary exchange, loss or theft, the Member State in which holders have taken up their normal residence will issue the person concerned with a Community model driving licence for the corresponding category or categories without requiring that person to take a theoretical or practical test.

So we've decided to keep the English ones. If we lose them, we'll have to apply to the Spanish authority - as DVLA will never send replacement licences out of the UK. The other bonus with keeping the UK licence is that at age 70 - with a Spanish licence you have to take a medical every year or 2, but with an English one it's less frequent, I believe.
I hope this helps.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:48 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that, unless you have had your licence endorsed and all the details entered on the Trafico database, you will not be able to get a replacement Spanish licence.

This is what the EU website says on the subject:-

You are resident in an EU- or EEA-Member State other than the state which issued the licence. In this case, you may not ask for a duplicate of your original licence. The Member State of normal residence issues a new licence on the basis of the information in its possession.

You will also need to have medicals in accordance with Spanish law, not UK law. You will find some information about this on this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510111