Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate worries

Exchange rate worries

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 8:39 am
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice
Default Exchange rate worries

Just looking at the rate today and its around the 1.47 mark yet last week it around 1.52 at one stage. These seem like big swings to me and make a big difference when switching big sums like I will be. What is the lowest you can remember it being, and the highest I suppose to soften the blow

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Mr Impish will become famous soon enoughMr Impish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Exchange rate worries

1.47 you will be lucky, its 1.45 and you will be lucky to get that.
The high and low for the last 12 months is 1.52 to 1.42, generally its been 1.47/8 most of the time. My guess would be hang on a bit and look for a bit higher but if it was that easy, I'd be a currency trader and I'm not.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

You may find this site good as you can enter the dates you want to look at the history of the euro and away you go.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
Just looking at the rate today and its around the 1.47 mark yet last week it around 1.52 at one stage. These seem like big swings to me and make a big difference when switching big sums like I will be. What is the lowest you can remember it being, and the highest I suppose to soften the blow

Hi,
Be careful i went to change at 1.50 and found it had dropped to 1.48 so held back, eventually had to change at 1.3958 loss of £8000.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:14 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Sorry to but in, but are you talking about the tourist rates,or the rates you get for larger sums of money for say buying property,there is a big difference.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

1.39's as low as I remember, 1.5089 is the highest.

I told you how to safeguard your r/ex and cover yourself against any drops on your other thread
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

I did our first payment on our apartment several years ago in the days of 1.60euros to the pound.
I needed to buy £25,000 for the deposit & that day the rate was 1.57 because La Caixa took forever to forward my new account details I ended up getting 1.53 . That was in the days before I realised eeverythingin Spain takes at least twice as long.
I suppose it's all swings & roundabouts
I bought £ 10,000 worth the other week before the rate nose dived & I got 1.51
Should keep me in Rioja & Cruz Campo for the year
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking to buy a decent amount of euro ie 20,000 or more
you should not get a rate any worse than 1/2 percent below professional
market rate ie 1.4800 proff rate 1.4725 u deal at.if you are quoted worse shop around . Rate shot up above 1.5000 mainlyon surprise Bk england rate hike
in Jan with impression of more to come. But with recent stock market
falls worldwide peoples higher rate expectations being reigned in ,so gap between GBP and EURO rates maybe not being as wide as thought.That was main driver for upward move in GBP/EURO rate.
I by the way was an FX Dealer for 15 years and market continue to and always will move sometimes in mysterious ways.Market in last year or so remain most comfortable in 1.47 1.48 range .anything above that is good buying opportunity below 1.45 would probably wait if poss.