Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ex pats in Spain to lose winter fuel payment

Ex pats in Spain to lose winter fuel payment

Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex pats in Spain to lose winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
Sorry, but I will disagree with your attitude.... I have paid into system all my life..

I have worked is a variety of jobs...mainly military...but like others who have come over to live in Spain, we came for better weather, a better way of life etc, etc, etc...and yes, we have struggled like many other couples..

What people forget, is that we are beholden to the powers that be, in Whitehall...it does not matter who is in power, but cuts have to be made and we have to accept them.....as someone else has said, the pain has to be spread... WFA is just a benefit and it is not a necessity for those of us, who choose to live in another country, that many months of the year is much warmer than the UK...Remember, for those of us who have come to Spain, it was our personal choice, so we have to accept the cons and if that means losing the WFA, so be it..
And I still pay UK income tax on my paltry private pension, but there is nothing I can...
I know that we all have to accept, we have no choice, but my comments are aimed at those who think the whole world revolves around them, and it is all about me, me, me, and if I can do without so can everyone else. It’s not always as simple as that.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:28 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha
I know that we all have to accept, we have no choice, but my comments are aimed at those who think the whole world revolves around them, and it is all about me, me, me, and if I can do without so can everyone else. It’s not always as simple as that.
I agree it is not that simple, but it has to be because government policies cannot be made based on individual circumstances.

The majority have to be the major consideration.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
No not really, they are affecting the locals, ie unemployment benfit, used to be cut after a certain period on the dole to 60 percent of what they were first getting when they became unemployed, now since the cuts it has been cut down to 50 percent.

As for help in the home and stuff like that, expats on the costas have a few local charities that help people who are unable to do for themselves, so most don´t go to social services.

Social services have been cut for the elderly and there was not much help there in the first place.

Schools are facing dire cuts, parents are having book grants cut, and in a lot of cases have to supply things like toilet paper for the schools, as they have no money.

Have you not seen the indignados, I don´t think many pensioner or othern expats join them as the cuts do not seem to affect them in the same way
According your logic British pensioners do not notice the cuts in Spain. Is that what you are saying? Then why are there many going back to the UK?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Domino
think you should talk to the likes of the DM who always look for a poker to hit the expats in Spain, but never anywhere else.

benefits should be targetted at those in need. but what do you do about those who don't know about their right to same ? (and there are many in that category) or those who don't want to be a nuisance (almost as many).
They are the last of the generation who remember Means Testing for anything and don't want to go through that indignity.

the newer generations will grab anything they can get - then try to take it off them

like bob i still have my uniform, somewhere, and all this crappy attitude towards us and those we fought for as did our fathers is just not acceptable.
pay up and shut up.
It's nothing to do with the past.

It is all about the present and what governments can afford to do in the present.

I am an old person but I don't take the view that I am owed things by the current generation.

There could be an argument that the current generations that didn't live through wars weren't part of the generations that caused wars.

People, governments and more to the point benefits systems as that is what this is all about need to address present day problems and social issues.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

According your logic British pensioners do not notice the cuts in Spain. Is that what you are saying? Then why are there many going back to the UK?
Maybe they are just unhappy in Spain, maybe it's the pull of family, maybe they have lost their life partner and feel stranded and alone, maybe they are totally hacked off with things like the 720, or Spanish Inheritance Tax etc etc

They sure wont be making that difficult decision based on the fact that they are going to lose £200 or £300 quid a year.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, but maybe they are basing the decision on the cuts in Spain. Read my comment again.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, but maybe they are basing the decision on the cuts in Spain. Read my comment again.
You have ignored the answers above that he cuts in Spain are generally not affecting ex pat pensioners directly, at present.

They maybe eventually affect them indirectly by such things as the 720 if that turns into some sort if revenue generating machine, but it isn't that at present it's simply an asset declaration.

Or if there is an increase in crime, i.e. knock on effects of austerity.

None if that is the same as direct cuts though.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Opps double post. Sorry folks.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paying towards prescriptions, paying for a ride to hospital for non-emergency treatment, closure of hospital beds and units, 4000 plus (and rising by the day) in Albacate waiting for eye operations. This is what I know of. Similar is happening all over Spain.These are cuts in the health service. Surely they affect British pensioners. In fact everybody, but I am only talking about British pensioners at the moment. And it can only get worse.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paying towards prescriptions, paying for a ride to hospital for non-emergency treatment, closure of hospital beds and units, 4000 plus (and rising by the day) in Albacate waiting for eye operations. This is what I know of. Similar is happening all over Spain.These are cuts in the health service. Surely they affect British pensioners. In fact everybody, but I am only talking about British pensioners at the moment. And it can only get worse.
Those are indirect problems though.

Also the above are the same as are going on in the UK, France, Portugal etc so I don't really see how they make much overall difference to if an expat stays or goes. The whole of Europe is under the cosh in terms of providing public services and the implications of public sector cuts. It's quid pro quo.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:57 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennieJ
You have ignored the answers above that he cuts in Spain are generally not affecting ex pat pensioners directly, at present.

They maybe eventually affect them indirectly by such things as the 720 if that turns into some sort if revenue generating machine, but it isn't that at present it's simply an asset declaration.

Or if there is an increase in crime, i.e. knock on effects of austerity.

None if that is the same as direct cuts though.

I try and avoid posting after midnight, but I have ten minutes left. You're a perceptive lady but I wonder at your motives.

Two minutes have gone, because two dogs have distracted me. One is 15 years old and is staring at me, the other is five months and is biting my ankles.

One minute to go. Good night.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Healthcare is an indirect problem? I think for a pensioner that is one big worry. And you get a lot more help in the UK, with the cuts, but I do not want to get into a discussion on the NHS or the rest of Europe now. Goodnight.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I fully agree that the UK has to face cuts and yes one of those is the WFA for expats of which I am as yet not one as I have small properties UK and Spain and am currently more UK than Spain but intend being half and half and may one day become resident Spain. So as I said earlier if when I reach an age to get WFA if still not Spanish resident I will be able to get it but do still intend to winter mainly in Spain. Now some will say well you shouldn't claim it then but tell that to the rich politicians that still take it but enjoyed it when George made is announcement.

Also when you talk about cuts again tell that to the shirkers and there are some (NOT ALL I MAY ADD) that have screwed the UK system for years and are bleating like stuck pigs now they are being looked at. Like a guy I know personally who has a super enhanced war pension for an injury that dos not actually stop him working but he is better off claiming than working. I remember when he got the injury and it was little more than stupidity on his behalf and self inflicted but he gets the lot tax free pension disability car. He is now worried because they say he could work and have cut some of his benefits in my view they should take the lot and give it to the poor lads and lasses coming back without limbs etc. There are plenty playing the same card as re the forces it depends when the alleged injury occurred as to who is responsible to prove liability.

There are 2 sides to everything I will never miss something I have never had and as I said earlier one good thing about this that makes it fairer is they have made it across the board not the old way of continuing to pay those that claimed in the UK prior to becoming expats but not those that hadn't. The UK and Europe is in a mess a lot of it through the miss management by the governments and by some of those that cheered when he made his announcement.

I wonder what the press would say if some elderly expat is found to have died in Spain say because they couldn't pay to heat their property. I would imagine that there are plenty now given the changing circumstances fall in the pound that are really struggling to get by but are unable to sell up and head back as many have.

As I said a lot earlier I never expected to get this top up I did expect to get my pension at 65 and my wife to get hers at 60 but sadly she has to wait a further 6 years and me only extra 5 months, I do feel that she and women like her have been let down much more than losing this that we never expected. Lets face it Labour only brought it in along with many other silly things to woe voters.

Last edited by bobd22; Jun 27th 2013 at 10:03 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HBG
I try and avoid posting after midnight, but I have ten minutes left. You're a perceptive lady but I wonder at your motives.

Two minutes have gone, because two dogs have distracted me. One is 15 years old and is staring at me, the other is five months and is biting my ankles.

One minute to go. Good night.

I don't really have any motives tbh (not sure if that is good or bad) just the ramblings of a hopefully still agile mind.

I like dogs. So goodnight to you and goodnight to them.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:05 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that of the 4000 waiting for eye ops in Albacete there will not be a huge number of British expats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.