Wikiposts

Ex Expats

Old May 4th 2012, 9:25 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex Expats

Perhaps if the claim had been made that too much of the Med coast had been covered in concrete blocks, it would have been more believable. But Spain is a huge country, and away from the bigger cities it's still incredibly beautiful. I can understand why people avoid the north and central Spain, if they don't speak the language, or they want the Med climate. And yes, you can search out a nasty quarry or mine, just like most countries. But much of the place is a joy to see.

Old May 4th 2012, 9:28 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
'God loves a trier' (tryer?) is one of my favourite sayings, although I can't even spell it.

Well, I've tried. We've got visitors at the moment, two ladies from Surrey. They went out last night and made their way to a KFC outlet for a meal, passing a dozen Spanish and international restaurants on the way.

Hard as I tried, I couldn't make any sense of it, yet they came back happy and we spent the midnight hours sitting on the terrace, with suitable ammunition, to discuss the finer points of life. It was mainly about Poles in Crawley, and I was educated.

Never mind the stunning scenery in beautiful places around the world, when it comes down to it it's only about fried chicken and those diabolical Poles nicking work from the industrious English.

I've travelled a bit, but I've never been to Poland. I'm going to make amends if I can.
I've seen some marvellous pictures of Poland. I'm sure it's worth visiting.
Old May 4th 2012, 9:37 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

... and I have a Polish friend.
Old May 4th 2012, 11:40 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I've been to Poland three times - to Szczecin up near the Baltic (not recommended in December), once to Warsaw and once to Jelenia Gora in the South near the Czech Republic.

Warsaw is a fairly typical eastern European capital - some really nice bits but much of it not so good. Jelenia Gora is a country town and very nice apart from one enormous hotel catering mostly for Germans who seem to think they own that part of Poland.

The Russian prostitutes were spectacularly beautiful.

That was in the mid '90's over a period of two years and it was changing rapidly - I often wonder what it's like there 15 years on.

It is one of my favourite countries in the world because of the people.
Old May 4th 2012, 11:43 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

...and I have a Polish housekeeper.

Quite a tasty young thing,
...... unlike the country and most of it's people who I find a little drab.

The place does have a few redeeming features however and the Poles are generally good grafters.

Maybe I should also mention the drivers who provided me with my most memorable, if not endearing recollections.
Forget the Spanish,French Germans and Italians, they are all ultra-cautious by comparison with the Poles who at times seem positively suicidal.

Having had the dubious experience of sampling life and near death on Polish roads, it surprises me not to hear that they were considered by far the most courageous and fearless pilots of WW2.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; May 5th 2012 at 12:10 am. Reason: ADD ON
Old May 5th 2012, 1:03 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Having become an ex-expat myself in December 2011, I know some others on this forum are also in this position.

It would be interesting to know, who is an expat, who is an ex-expat, and who is a pre-pat (someone who hasn't got to Spain yet)?

Bit of fun, I thought.
Despite the thread being turned into another Spain good UK dire contest again, I like the thought behind it.

Expat -living abroad

ex expat - living home again

pre expat- not abroad yet

pre ex expat - hoping to move back home again

armchair expat - dreaming with no real hope of moving

whinging expat - living abroad and moaning non stop

whinging ex expat - living back home and moaning non stop.

prepared pre expat - making good plans for the move

nonprepared pre expat - hoping to move and wing it

I am an ex expat myself.
Old May 6th 2012, 4:42 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Having become an ex-expat myself in December 2011, I know some others on this forum are also in this position.

It would be interesting to know, who is an expat, who is an ex-expat, and who is a pre-pat (someone who hasn't got to Spain yet)?

Bit of fun, I thought.
I am also an ex-expat but still look in on here to stay in touch with friends I have made on this site
Old May 6th 2012, 10:08 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of fun, I thought.
Well I'm an ex-expat, been back 4 years now.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:12 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
'God loves a trier' (tryer?) is one of my favourite sayings, although I can't even spell it.

Well, I've tried. We've got visitors at the moment, two ladies from Surrey. They went out last night and made their way to a KFC outlet for a meal, passing a dozen Spanish and international restaurants on the way.

Hard as I tried, I couldn't make any sense of it, yet they came back happy and we spent the midnight hours sitting on the terrace, with suitable ammunition, to discuss the finer points of life. It was mainly about Poles in Crawley, and I was educated.

Never mind the stunning scenery in beautiful places around the world, when it comes down to it it's only about fried chicken and those diabolical Poles nicking work from the industrious English.

I've travelled a bit, but I've never been to Poland. I'm going to make amends if I can.
when back in the UK for a week I spent all my cash in KFC - far superior to McD's

quite honestly nowhere else for a meal other than a couple of good fish and chip takeaways, everywhere else is Indian, Pakistani, Romanian, Lithuanian and I just wanted a quiet meal with no outrageous spices flying around.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:18 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I've been to Poland three times - to Szczecin up near the Baltic (not recommended in December), once to Warsaw and once to Jelenia Gora in the South near the Czech Republic.

Warsaw is a fairly typical eastern European capital - some really nice bits but much of it not so good. Jelenia Gora is a country town and very nice apart from one enormous hotel catering mostly for Germans who seem to think they own that part of Poland.

The Russian prostitutes were spectacularly beautiful.

That was in the mid '90's over a period of two years and it was changing rapidly - I often wonder what it's like there 15 years on.

It is one of my favourite countries in the world because of the people.

you will find they arent there anymore - all seemed to have moved to my ex home town, with their own shops, their own vodka (couple of guys blew themselves up making the stuff last year), and when visiting one of the rare laundromats was accosted by a prostitute in the middle of the day as I was getting in my car. She was almost as old as me but looked older.

Old May 9th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

1. An expat used to be a pat (specially if he's Irish).
2. It always sounds like an expat won't be participating or joining in with the local people. Understandable perhaps if you are living in a converted pigsty outside some moribund pueblo, but most of Spain is educated, modern, European. Join in - don't be a British expat, be a Spanish expert.
Old May 9th 2012, 9:57 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
...and I have a Polish housekeeper..
Is her name Magda
Old May 9th 2012, 10:08 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Is her name Magda

Err no, ???
Must admit you have me flummoxed with that one.
Old May 9th 2012, 5:45 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
1. An expat used to be a pat (specially if he's Irish).
2. It always sounds like an expat won't be participating or joining in with the local people. Understandable perhaps if you are living in a converted pigsty outside some moribund pueblo, but most of Spain is educated, modern, European. Join in - don't be a British expat, be a Spanish expert.
Funnily enough, we've had quite a few discussions on this forum between expats living in converted cattle sheds on the outskirts of some moribund pueblo and others in saturated expat areas. The former always claim to be living in 'real' Spain, while the latter eat fish and chips in the sun and play bingo.

But the bingo players vote in local elections and we now have fish and chips eaters as councillors in Spanish town halls.

I find it a strange divide and absolutely normal for those brave foreigners who come to live in the sun. Good luck to both groups.
Old May 9th 2012, 7:53 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by HBG
Funnily enough, we've had quite a few discussions on this forum between expats living in converted cattle sheds on the outskirts of some moribund pueblo and others in saturated expat areas. The former always claim to be living in 'real' Spain, while the latter eat fish and chips in the sun and play bingo.

But the bingo players vote in local elections and we now have fish and chips eaters as councillors in Spanish town halls.

I find it a strange divide and absolutely normal for those brave foreigners who come to live in the sun. Good luck to both groups.

....and all points in between the cattle sheds and fish and chip shops.

Likewise the Spanish,... some in very peaceful rural areas, ..others in concrete blocks in big cities with their own bingo halls and takeaways close by.
Little doubt they all consider it to be the "real" Spain, so why not the expats ?
Each to his/her own,... live and let live.

Anyway who wants those rowdy townies running around the campo disturbing the peace ?

Fortunately we only see them here at weekends during good weather in this area of mainly Valencian weekend homes, then by late Sunday evening its back to peace and tranquility again.

To be honest, I don't really object to them venturing onto my patch, they're a lovely friendly bunch really and it's nice to see just a little bit of life once in a while out here in the sticks,... as long as they don't overstay their welcome of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.