British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Eurovision. There. Someone had to say it! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/eurovision-there-someone-had-say-670289/)

jdr May 30th 2010 2:39 pm

Re: Eurovision. There. Someone had to say it!

Coming last in Eurovision just goes to prove that British music is in a different class, and always will be to that crap show. :rofl:

HBG May 30th 2010 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 8599584)
Coming last in Eurovision just goes to prove that British music is in a different class, and always will be to that crap show. :rofl:

British music is still in a different class and years ago we won the contest regularly. European people voted for our music and us because they liked us.

Then they started to realised that we didn’t really want to be in Europe, we nailed our colours to the American mast with Thatcher and Reagan and Blair and Bush, and the Europeans hated us for it. The Germans still respect us for historical reasons, and the Poles loved us for the same historical reasons.

But that respect and love is dying fast, the new kids on the block from the eastern part of Europe don’t have any time for us and don’t vote for us any more. Maybe our music is declining too, the Rolling Stones are getting old and I can’t see the Europeans taking to Susan Boyle.

We need a revolution.

jackytoo May 30th 2010 8:41 pm

Are we bovvered, so the eastern europeans don't like us...tough shit. Does that mean they will stop milking the UK for benefits:huh:

Fred James May 30th 2010 8:50 pm

What really annoys me is that the BBC set up yet another phone in series to choose the singer for the Eurovision contest, complete with creepy Lord Lloyd Webber and even creepier Graham Norton. They did this only for the viewing figures and the program was totally funded by the public phoning in.

They only selected an unknown (X-Factor) style newcomer to sing the song which was only written after the singer had been chosen.

The songwriters were (allegedly) good at doing this and presumably got paid large sums for doing it.

The end result was a crap song which no one in the UK had voted for.

It is time the UK withdrew from this farce or spent some money on a professional singer who could compete.

I seem to remember that dear old Cliff won it for the UK some time ago - surely we can find a UK artist that could do the job?

SaritaBarcelona May 30th 2010 8:52 pm

Re respect and disliking us, fair point, but on this very same forum there was a thread saying that English language music is dominating Spain and the rest of the world, so I don't think it is dying out! I was talking to a Spanish friend today and he said that songs in English and Spanish are the best there are. I have always thought this too, both languages sound good sung, unlike certain others (sorry French, Catalan, German...).

Re Eurovision I noticed at the end that the appalling German "winning" song i.e. the most catchy of a bad bunch was written and composed by two people with very Anglo Saxon names... I have been wondering for years what are the criteria for this contest and it is just ludicrous (even though I don't actually care as such!) that we are beaten by countries like Belarus, for heaven's sake!