Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Eurovision. There. Someone had to say it!

Eurovision. There. Someone had to say it!

Old May 30th 2010, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eurovision. There. Someone had to say it!

So Wuz Algo Pequenito robbed? Do the Spanish you know watch avidly and care? Is it treated with the same dirision as in the UK? Did any of you watch from beginning to end? I watched the first two, thereby having heard Daniel, but went and watered the garden, blah blah.
Old May 30th 2010, 8:27 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eurovision. There. Someone had to say it!

Originally Posted by fionamw
So Wuz Algo Pequenito robbed? Do the Spanish you know watch avidly and care? Is it treated with the same dirision as in the UK? Did any of you watch from beginning to end? I watched the first two, thereby having heard Daniel, but went and watered the garden, blah blah.
Most of the Spanish I know, dont give a monkeys

They are more interested in Lorenzo, Pedrosa, Alonso and other wheelie type people.
Old May 30th 2010, 8:57 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Most of the Spanish I know, dont give a monkeys

They are more interested in Lorenzo, Pedrosa, Alonso and other wheelie type people.

I'm astonished that so many Brits apparently do care, and get indignant when (allegedly) all the ex-eastern blok communist countries vote for each other! However nothing wrong with those who take it as a bit of harmless fun - just don't invite me to your party - I'd sooner watch paint dry!
Old May 30th 2010, 9:01 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I'm astonished that so many Brits apparently do care, and get indignant when (allegedly) all the ex-eastern blok communist countries vote for each other!
You must have some strange British friends. I have never known a Brit who cared
Old May 30th 2010, 9:12 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You must have some strange British friends. I have never known a Brit who cared
I suspect they wouldn't be a friend if they were bothered by who won Eurovision! But, you've obviously been away a long time from the UK. A lot of people (admittedly driven by the media) were getting upset by the EE countries voting for each other. In fact it's supposed to have persuaded Terry Wogan to retire from commentating on it (in truth I think he was starting to think of retirement anyway). Also, having a Eurovision party was meant to be quite popular - I can't say for sure as I avoided any such conversation or invite anyway.
Old May 30th 2010, 9:21 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect they wouldn't be a friend if they were bothered by who won Eurovision! But, you've obviously been away a long time from the UK. A lot of people (admittedly driven by the media) were getting upset by the EE countries voting for each other. In fact it's supposed to have persuaded Terry Wogan to retire from commentating on it (in truth I think he was starting to think of retirement anyway). Also, having a Eurovision party was meant to be quite popular - I can't say for sure as I avoided any such conversation or invite anyway.
I think the issue of the EE countries voting for each other is not just exclusive to Eurovision.

And I dont think that the British are really that concerned about the Euroviosion contest in itself, it is just that they feel that it is "not fair play" to vote for neighbours simply because they are neighbours.

This sort of thing goes on in ice skating and other "judged" sports, and this causes a lot of conflict with the followers.
Old May 30th 2010, 9:53 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

It's nothing more than a festival of buttkissing, political backscratching and payback.

To my delight, I hadn't realised it was on until the evening it was on, and I didn't watch it. I still have no idea who won.
Old May 30th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

But, you've obviously been away a long time from the UK. A lot of people (admittedly driven by the media) were getting upset by the EE countries voting for each other.
I doubt many in the UK knew it was on the TV last night and cared even less it was on or who won. Theres plenty to do without watching that carp.

Saturday night is a night out in case you have forgotten.
Old May 30th 2010, 10:05 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I doubt many in the UK knew it was on the TV last night and cared even less it was on or who won. Theres plenty to do without watching that carp.

Saturday night is a night out in case you have forgotten.
I'll have you know that watching carp is most relaxing, especially the fancy Japanese ones.
Old May 30th 2010, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I'll have you know that watching carp is most relaxing, especially the fancy Japanese ones.
... and possibly more entertaining than Eurodrivelbackscratchvotingfiascovision! mind you, that streaker (Not - what do you call a run-on who seems harmless?) was entertaining. Should have got points all for himself!
Old May 30th 2010, 11:27 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
... and possibly more entertaining than Eurodrivelbackscratchvotingfiascovision! mind you, that streaker (Not - what do you call a run-on who seems harmless?) was entertaining. Should have got points all for himself!
I thought the UK entry really excelled himself to get all of ten points.
Didn't watch it,just heard the score.
Saw a flash of him on the news a couple of days back.
Apparently rated at 175 to 1 against and the Worst competitor in the history of the Eurocarp comp.....probably right.
I forecast Nil Pois,..so amazed he done quite so well.
To think of the amount pop talent thats come out of the UK in the last 50 years,..and they post an entry as sad as that.
Old May 30th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

what's a eurovision
Old May 30th 2010, 12:54 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It being a Saturday night and a special occasion too, we went to a posh restaurant on Guardamar beach, where we had booked a table with beach and sea views. We had been before and the restaurant is in a beautiful setting, and serves superb, though expensive food.

We were a few minutes late due to nearby roadworks and panicked in case we had lost our table. Our greeter and waitress were waiting at the door and led us through to the room with large windows and views to die for, especially as the sun was just setting.

We were the only customers, just the two of us, surrounded by attentive staff. And so it remained all evening.

The staff who weren’t involved in looking after us, most of them, were intently watching some music show on a far-way television in the reception area.

We watched the people walking the beach with lengthening shadows and enjoyed our expensive meal. I finally asked our attentive waitress why everyone else was watching the TV. She seemed startled at my question and told us that the Eurovision song contest was on the TV.

It was still on when we got home and I had a quick look to see where we were placed, then switched off. What a far cry from the heady days of Sandie Shaw singing her heart out while striding the stage without any shoes.

‘Puppet on a String’, it’s playing in my head now. We used to come top in those days.

(And I thought the winner looked a bit like Sandie Shaw all those years ago.)
Old May 30th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Ok, I know I am sad, have to say I did watch it from start to end. Mum printed off score sheets and we had to score each song, (yes yes I know I need a social life, lol). Germany won and to say it is bad in my opinion it's bad mind not as bad as Russia and Armenia with their apricot tree. Israel just drowned the entire first 3 rows with his pronunciation.

Spain was not to bad at least it was a catchy song but preferred Cyprus and Ireland.

For the Eurovision novice it is an international song contest to find the worst song and singer to sing it. Most are now singing in English which makes the translations really funny.
Old May 30th 2010, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jay01
Ok, I know I am sad, have to say I did watch it from start to end. Mum printed off score sheets and we had to score each song, (yes yes I know I need a social life, lol). Germany won and to say it is bad in my opinion it's bad mind not as bad as Russia and Armenia with their apricot tree. Israel just drowned the entire first 3 rows with his pronunciation.

Spain was not to bad at least it was a catchy song but preferred Cyprus and Ireland.

For the Eurovision novice it is an international song contest to find the worst song and singer to sing it. Most are now singing in English which makes the translations really funny.
Good post. Right I'll nail my colours to the mast or whatever it is you're supposed to say. Yes I used to score them all.... more than one saddo in the world, never fear plus we would do that for (whisper it, lest rabid feminist pc wallahs hear) miss world too
However I became of the Terry Wogan school of thought re the scoring - ok it's a load of carp but it is suppose to be a song contest, not an international 'make sure the neighbours don't take offence so creep crawl & a****lick your way to diplomatic immunity' contest. Hence being less than enthralled but vaguely interested in the best/worst & outcome. Oh, and yes I agree Spain was catchy. In fact I found myself humming/singing it all day. Oh dear did I just admit that.......................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.