euro problem

Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

john daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant future
Default euro problem

Have managed to selll my house in Spain and next Tuesday i get a Bankers Draft (euros) which i need to change into Sterling. Problem is unless i pay 700 euros to have this sent 3 days the alternative is First Direct take 6 to 8weeks between themselves and my Bank here in Spain. Any suggestions welcome as my nest egg (euros) is shrinking day by day against Sterling.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: euro problem

Originally Posted by john daly
Have managed to selll my house in Spain and next Tuesday i get a Bankers Draft (euros) which i need to change into Sterling. Problem is unless i pay 700 euros to have this sent 3 days the alternative is First Direct take 6 to 8weeks between themselves and my Bank here in Spain. Any suggestions welcome as my nest egg (euros) is shrinking day by day against Sterling.
Get cash.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:31 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Get cash.
I'll bring my suitcase and gladly give you a hand to carry it.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

john daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant futurejohn daly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jdr
Get cash.
Have you tried going anywhere these days with more than a few quid in cash, its 2010 not .1955
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john daly
Have you tried going anywhere these days with more than a few quid in cash, its 2010 not .1955
You can move as much as you like, as long as you have proof of where it came from, money from a house sale would be a cinch.
If the buyer has a UK bank get them to pay in stirling into your bank.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:55 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

What if the cash turned out to be forged notes
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by jackytoo
What if the cash turned out to be forged notes
You can get bent bankers drafts too.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
You can move as much as you like, as long as you have proof of where it came from, money from a house sale would be a cinch.
If the buyer has a UK bank get them to pay in stirling into your bank.
If it was a uk. buyer i wouldent have a problem. Russian buyer with euros. "Bent bankers draft" thats why the house sales are done through a Notary (independant legal goverment co.)
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:02 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Barclays, Halifax, Abbey - banca March - all have branches in the UK and Spain - and easy to transfer money - also some people on the forum rate HIFX

You need to do some homework.

Davexf
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Barclays, Halifax, Abbey - banca March - all have branches in the UK and Spain - and easy to transfer money - also some people on the forum rate HIFX

You need to do some homework.

Davexf
But do they transfer a bankers draft ?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:04 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

What you have to do is either pay the draft into your spanish bank account and then transfer it to your UK account (at a high cost from the spanish bank, of course). Or, just pay the draft into your UK account (small cost) but be prepared to wait for at least 6 weeks for it to clear. If the pound goes up you are shafted, if it goes down you gain. Right now the pound seems to be going up so maybe better to go the first way and get a quick transfer from the spanish bank.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by jackytoo
What you have to do is either pay the draft into your spanish bank account and then transfer it to your UK account (at a high cost from the spanish bank, of course). Or, just pay the draft into your UK account (small cost) but be prepared to wait for at least 6 weeks for it to clear. If the pound goes up you are shafted, if it goes down you gain. Right now the pound seems to be going up so maybe better to go the first way and get a quick transfer from the spanish bank.
That`s what I thought, re OP.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
That`s what I thought, re OP.
Thanks Jackytoo and every one else, Thats the problem in a nutshell. Stick or twist.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:03 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I think with that dodgy election coming up, I would stick, unless you’re sure of twisting a Tory.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by HBG
I think with that dodgy election coming up, I would stick, unless you’re sure of twisting a Tory.
I would love to twist and stick them all up their own jacksies.