British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Euro about to crash..? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/euro-about-crash-654281/)

londonxfm Feb 11th 2010 8:00 am

Euro about to crash..?

looks like we might be back with the euro at 1.50 to the pound in a few weeks :)

jojojojojojojojojojojojo Feb 11th 2010 8:04 am

Re: Euro about to crash..?

Mervyn wont like that!!!! :eek::thumbup:

Jo xxx

Rotor Feb 11th 2010 8:16 am

Originally Posted by londonxfm (Post 8332346)
looks like we might be back with the euro at 1.50 to the pound in a few weeks :)

Dose that mean there will be a mass exodous of Brits making their way to Spain!!:rofl::rofl:

HBG Feb 11th 2010 8:20 am

Cor, I wish it was true. I fancy another trip to Las Vegas, but this time I’ll give that Little White Chapel a wide berth.

cricketman Feb 11th 2010 8:55 am

Originally Posted by londonxfm (Post 8332346)

Where did you get that info from?

The Wall Street Journal was reporting on the poor performance of the pound this week. They were suprised it dropped against the euro even though Greece's economy has gone bust.

They said this proved inherant weaknesses in the pound sterling.

Plus some good Euro news, on the Spanish news this morning, an American guy from the Standard and Poors rating agency apologised for saying last week that Spain's economy is "going to go the same way as Greece's" and that it is "not as bad as he first thought". If I understood correctly Spanish debt is going to get upgraded to the highest rating again.

londonxfm Feb 11th 2010 9:08 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8332425)
Where did you get that info from?

The Wall Street Journal was reporting on the poor performance of the pound this week. They were suprised it dropped against the euro even though Greece's economy has gone bust.

They said this proved inherant weaknesses in the pound sterling.

Plus some good Euro news, on the Spanish news this morning, an American guy from the Standard and Poors rating agency apologised for saying last week that Spain's economy is "going to go the same way as Greece's" and that it is "not as bad as he first thought". If I understood correctly Spanish debt is going to get upgraded to the highest rating again.

the future for the euro is devalue, abandon or a bail out by the wealthier countries,(Germany and France),I'm quoting sky news here in case you want to know where this information is from,should be fun,

cricketman Feb 11th 2010 9:14 am

Originally Posted by londonxfm (Post 8332453)
the future for the euro is devalue, abandon or a bail out by the wealthier countries,(Germany and France),I'm quoting sky news here in case you want to know where this information is from,should be fun,

Oh I forgot Rupert Murdoch was the all seeing eye

Val001 Feb 11th 2010 9:28 am

I am in the process of transferring funds to my spanish account as soon going to be completing on my house purchase out there. I am using Moneycorp for this and have just rung them to get some info from the people in the know. They do not see much upward or downward movement in the Euro in the foreseeable future.

twistedmelon Feb 11th 2010 9:55 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8332463)
Oh I forgot Rupert Murdoch was the all seeing eye

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Of course, he'll save us all.

snikpoh Feb 11th 2010 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo (Post 8332352)
Mervyn wont like that!!!! :eek::thumbup:

Jo xxx

Oh yes I will.

(Mervyn Hopkins)

rachelk Feb 11th 2010 12:30 pm

OK, so if it does get to such heady heights, do I change my pounds to €s straight away or wait and see?

I don't have loads of money, but when I sold my flat back in the UK I left the money in sterling. It might one day help me to buy somthing here.

Chiclanagir Feb 11th 2010 12:50 pm

The fact is that we are in the EC and if Spain, Portgual, Greece need to be bailed out our contributions will be involved which could be why the pound is not stronger against the euro, disappointingly.

Val001 Feb 11th 2010 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 8332960)
The fact is that we are in the EC and if Spain, Portgual, Greece need to be bailed out our contributions will be involved which could be why the pound is not stronger against the euro, disappointingly.

Some sense at last :thumbup:

jdr Feb 11th 2010 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Val001 (Post 8333002)
Some sense at last :thumbup:

But the UK will have to pump in the same money, only in pounds.
So how will that make the € slump ?

Val001 Feb 11th 2010 1:21 pm

At the moment they say on the news that it is only France and Germany who are likely to help Greece. The pound is weak anyway. Anyone who is expecting a ROE of 1.50 is living in cloud cuckoo land. Come back to the real world please :rolleyes: