Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The EU wet stamping all British passports

The EU wet stamping all British passports

Old Feb 3rd 2021, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The EU wet stamping all British passports

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Future doubt or confusion - and therefore stamps - can be totally avoided by having a TIE.

Notwithstanding the procedural delays which have beset applications, something which will very soon come to an end, anyone continuing to hold out on a residencia/TIE exchange will have only themselves to blame if they encounter problems in the future.
Not for a few months at least. We are waiting for the fingerprint (second phase) of our first time application.

The solicitor who is dealing with us has been turning already resident people away as she has over 100 first timers like us and all the appointments at Alicante are gone within 5 minutes of them being put up. She got 2 (yep 2) appointments the other day.

We've been waiting just under 3 months for the appointment now.

Im not that bothered but would like it all sorted.
Although a friend of ours and his wife (who have not travelled outside of Spain for the last 8 years) went to get his green card changed, when I asked why he said that he was told by his Gestor that the TIE was now the ONLY form of ID for a British resident here now and if he were stopped it would cause issues if he didn't have it.

Im making no other comment here but Ive heard the same story a few times.

Old Feb 3rd 2021, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Not for a few months at least. We are waiting for the fingerprint (second phase) of our first time application.

The solicitor who is dealing with us has been turning already resident people away as she has over 100 first timers like us and all the appointments at Alicante are gone within 5 minutes of them being put up. She got 2 (yep 2) appointments the other day.

We've been waiting just under 3 months for the appointment now.

Im not that bothered but would like it all sorted.
At Malaga, it took me 4 months to get TIE (first-time applicant). First application online mid-September, fingerprinting early November, TIE collected late January (though was available early January).

Although a friend of ours and his wife (who have not travelled outside of Spain for the last 8 years) went to get his green card changed, when I asked why he said that he was told by his Gestor that the TIE was now the ONLY form of ID for a British resident here now and if he were stopped it would cause issues if he didn't have it. I'm making no other comment here but I've heard the same story a few times.
The official position is green A4 paper/credit card-sized cardboard is still valid and there is no need to change. But as we know, some passengers with green certificate were refused boarding a flight to Spain or turned away at the border and flown back. It seems not every official, airline staff or border agent is aware of the rule and insists on TIE from 1st January. Some gestors/lawyers are advising Brits to exchange for TIE to avoid any hassle or confusion, even discounting the fact that the service they provide in helping to exchange will earn them fees.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rita1
I have posted over on the Residency denied thread about an incident where the WA seems not to be applying re right to work.
Briefly, long term resident, new employment situation, is told by TGSS he no longer has right to work and must get the TIE first.
The green residencia card does not mention anything about rights to work. However as it was an EU certificate it didn't need to as being EU citizen provided that right. The TIE specifically mentions right to reside and work. So I can see how that leaves the situation with the green residencia open to interpretation by Spanish officials. There is too much confusion to be honest so I have an appointment made to change my green card to TIE. Little point in being legally correct trying to convince a Spanish official of that when for 12 Euros I can change to the TIE.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Rita1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
The green residencia card does not mention anything about rights to work. However as it was an EU certificate it didn't need to as being EU citizen provided that right. The TIE specifically mentions right to reside and work. So I can see how that leaves the situation with the green residencia open to interpretation by Spanish officials. There is too much confusion to be honest so I have an appointment made to change my green card to TIE. Little point in being legally correct trying to convince a Spanish official of that when for 12 Euros I can change to the TIE.
Yes, the issue is that the delay in the padron means, for the moment, no right to work, whatever the rules are.
Any queries to extranjerĂ­a get the same response, ie that changing to TIE can be done at any time and isn't obligatory. Any queries anywhere else either don't get answers or get directed to ExtranjerĂ­a.

At the moment there appear to be 3 options
patience (and hope that an eventual application for the TIE isn't prejudiced by a 2021 date on the padron
move to another town where the padron is dealt with more efficiently
move to another country and start again but at least with the right to work. Clearly that's not a favoured option for someone who has spent so long in Spain.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 7:07 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If you're exchanging the green certificate for a TIE you apply using form ex-23 and you don't need the padrĂłn for form ex-23 unless your address on the green certificate is not the same as your current address.

If the worst comes to the worst, get an appointment at ExtranjerĂ­a instead of the local cop shop and come armed with a print-out of the requirements where it specifically states that they're not necessary if you haven't moved house.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Rita1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DLC
If you're exchanging the green certificate for a TIE you apply using form ex-23 and you don't need the padrĂłn for form ex-23 unless your address on the green certificate is not the same as your current address.

If the worst comes to the worst, get an appointment at ExtranjerĂ­a instead of the local cop shop and come armed with a print-out of the requirements where it specifically states that they're not necessary if you haven't moved house.
He has moved house, the green card thing dates from quite some years back now.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I returned permanently to UK late January & I had my passport stamped by Border Control on arrival.We came to Spain in the early 1980´s & that is the only time that was done previously.And never after Spain joined the EU.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
I returned permanently to UK late January & I had my passport stamped by Border Control on arrival.We came to Spain in the early 1980´s & that is the only time that was done previously.And never after Spain joined the EU.
So all UK nationals get their passport stamped when entering UK? Surely that cant be the case?
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I had assumed it would be stamped on exit from the Schengen area.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:14 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Assmuming you're carrying a British or Irish passport, why would they do that?
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I had assumed it would be stamped on exit from the Schengen area.
Not if they had shown residence certificate (green) or new TIE.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Not if they had shown residence certificate (green) or new TIE.
But it reads as if to say it was stamped on arrival of UK. No?
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:21 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

Even if it were stamped on exit from Schengen (which is not necessary with a green certificate or a TIE), it would be Spain's job, not the UK's.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
But it reads as if to say it was stamped on arrival of UK. No?
It reads like that but there is no way UK border agency will stamp British passports.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are the UK stamping UK citizens passports when returning to the UK. The UK is and never was part of Schengen, so schengen rules surely are irrelevant as far as ukk border control applies re British Citizens.

Last edited by bobd22; Feb 6th 2021 at 4:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.