Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

EU referendum - voting qualifications & process

EU referendum - voting qualifications & process

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EU referendum - voting qualifications & process

Can someone clear this up for me please regarding the forthcoming EU referendum. As regard ex-pats in Spain, will we be able to vote online, providing we have provided identity evidence?
I've seen a ever ever to a requirement to be on the electoral role. Surely that refers to the UK or is the a requirement to be registered on the Padron?
Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU referendum - voting qualifications & process

I believe you must have been registered on a UK electoral role within the past 15 years. This link is to apply I believe? https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
I believe you must have been registered on a UK electoral role within the past 15 years. This link is to apply I believe? https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
I will qualify then, but I take it if you haven't been, you're stuffed, to quote a phrase?
Thanks for the response.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the 15 year rule is going to be abolished and that you just have to be a British Citizen to vote in UK General Elections. However I do not think that will be in place for the referendum and that the 15 year rule applies. I am non resident in Spain so vote as normal and luckily the vote will be between my trips to Spain so will vote. It may only be one vote but they all count either way. As always if you can vote but either can't be bothered to either register or make your vote, then no point whinging at the outcome.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Leode is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I hope for a bit of clarification on this. I have only been in Spain 2 years (have NIE card etc. working and paying taxes). I assume I am still able to vote in this. It is just the logistics of it all. Do we have to do it by postal, online or visit one of the consulates? Barcelona would be my nearest. It is just there doesn't seem to be much information about the 'working abroad' Brit.
Strangely, or maybe not considering it is Spain , is that I even registered at the local council as a resident and confirmed I would like to vote in their local and European electrions. Since then, I have had nothing through the post and there have been two local and regional elections.
I hope this doesn't affect my UK referendum voting rights. My folks say I am still getting UK voting slips throught their door there?!
Old Feb 25th 2016, 3:52 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leode
Hi everyone,

I hope for a bit of clarification on this. I have only been in Spain 2 years (have NIE card etc. working and paying taxes). I assume I am still able to vote in this. It is just the logistics of it all. Do we have to do it by postal, online or visit one of the consulates? Barcelona would be my nearest. It is just there doesn't seem to be much information about the 'working abroad' Brit.
Strangely, or maybe not considering it is Spain , is that I even registered at the local council as a resident and confirmed I would like to vote in their local and European electrions. Since then, I have had nothing through the post and there have been two local and regional elections.
I hope this doesn't affect my UK referendum voting rights. My folks say I am still getting UK voting slips throught their door there?!

There's no such thing as an NIE card - I suspect you have signed on the list of foreigners and have a green card to show this.

Yep, you can get a proxy or a postal vote.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Leode is an unknown quantity at this point

NIE number then....mister pedant.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leode
Hi everyone,

If you check out the link I put on earlier in the thread register to vote once you complete the registration it should tel! You how to vote from outside UK.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point

OK people. I went on line to aboutmyvote.co.uk and filled in a simple form and got a reference number by return e mail. This direct me to my previous electoral registration office in the UK (Bristol City Council). Went to their website, filled in the form and received the simple papers from them in a few days. Sent these back and received by return my registration etc so I can now vote. Absolutely no problems whatsoever so simple.

Remember it does not matter whether you are for staying in or out this is important - get your vote.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing you must do for a postal vote is to post it in time to arrive by 10pm on polling day - and given the vagaries of Spanish postal system this could be your biggest challenge.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it be nice if all the Spanish living and working in EU countries had the same (easy) rights. They have to beg for their vote!
Old Mar 12th 2016, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rs hipltd
Wouldn't it be nice if all the Spanish living and working in EU countries had the same (easy) rights. They have to beg for their vote!
Lost me on that one surely the referendum is to see what the citizens of Britain want? What you suggest is bit like expecting turkeys to get a vote on retaining Christmas. If Spain had a vote on in or out of the EU do you realy think expats would be included? In Spain expat residents only vote in regional elections, to vote in National elections you must hav citizenship. From that I feel the UK stance on this referendum is correct.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Bo S is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Sorry, I might be out of touch and read with interest, but how did this referendum come about? Did Cameron wake up one morning and think 'let's have an In/Out vote? I can't recall some of the 70 million Britons pressing him to have a referendum.

Is he still on a high from the Scottish 'No' vote and fancies his chances of a double 'We're stronger in' helping a Conservative re-election in due course?

How would he complete his hat-trick?

Bo
Old Mar 12th 2016, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that the Lib/dems made it a condition of supporting the coalition in the previous administration. I assume he made the promise in such a way that he could not go back on it even if he got a majority and did not need them.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think it was more that UKIP had got a lot of support which pressured him into offering a referendum . which has been promised before I seem to remember Blair he would give one but renaged later? I suppose on a positive Cameron stuck with it, of course it could prove a disaster for him we may vote out or it could end up ripping his party apart. It can't be ignored that a lot of people in the UK want out of the EU. Yes it may be stirred up by the likes of Farage and the media but many are not happy with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.