EU passport

Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Liana12433 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EU passport

Hi folks,
I put this in a search here and nothing came up but just a couple of general questions for comment purposes etc.
1. I have a job here and have been working since August 2015, obviously a tax payer on the padron and NIE, have a Spanish driving licence and own a property here. What is the opinion of the assembled throng about my situation, in terms of working beyond Brexit now as normal, should it be ok after I have been here 5 years. It appears from what I read the Spanish are keen to do a deal and keep the status quo. Any thoughts and opinions please.
2. EU passport, should we be thinking about this or not, has anyone applied for one, do we know how long or diffucult the process is. I guess some of this will come out in the following months, but also would be interested to hear of your opionions or things that you have read and believe to be fact or true.
Thanks for your posts in advance,
Nick
Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU passport

Originally Posted by Liana12433
Hi folks,
I put this in a search here and nothing came up but just a couple of general questions for comment purposes etc.
1. I have a job here and have been working since August 2015, obviously a tax payer on the padron and NIE, have a Spanish driving licence and own a property here. What is the opinion of the assembled throng about my situation, in terms of working beyond Brexit now as normal, should it be ok after I have been here 5 years. It appears from what I read the Spanish are keen to do a deal and keep the status quo. Any thoughts and opinions please.
2. EU passport, should we be thinking about this or not, has anyone applied for one, do we know how long or diffucult the process is. I guess some of this will come out in the following months, but also would be interested to hear of your opionions or things that you have read and believe to be fact or true.
Thanks for your posts in advance,
Nick
I'm sure the EU passport doesn't exist as an entity, they are just passports of an EU member country, so the UK passport will cease to be an EU passport once we have left the EU, and to keep one you will have to become a citizen of one of the remaining 27 countries.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very wary of any suggestion that such a thing as an EU passport would ever become a practical reality. It would suggest that the EU would bestow on the holder rights and privileges that others could not benefit from - something that obviously begs the question of what the EU would require in return. The EU is simply not going to grant residence and social or healthcare benefits simply in return for a €80 fee - think about it, it doesn't add up. If history has taught us anything about the EU it is that the EU doesn't give anything without exacting full payment.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Liana12433 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,
This was what I wanted this type of feedback, the word is bandied around and misimplies its meaning. I read that folks are rushing to get an EU passport obviously this cannot be the case.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
This was what I wanted this type of feedback, the word is bandied around and misimplies its meaning. I read that folks are rushing to get an EU passport obviously this cannot be the case.
Do they mean taking citizenship of an EU country they are settled in and getting a passport that way?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
I am fortunate enough to have had an Irish mother. That entitles me to Irish citizenship and an Irish (EU) passport. All property and financial transactions have been completed using the Irish passport as identification and if push comes to shove I will use the Irish passport permanently in preference to my British one if it makes my life in Europe easier and I suspect many others are doing the exact same thing. You can apply for an Irish passport if your parent/grandparent were Irish citizens.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:37 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have been registered resident in Spanish territories for ten years, you can apply for Spanish nationality.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boseley
Once you have been registered resident in Spanish territories for ten years, you can apply for Spanish nationality.
So, still another 8 years to go for the OP, and by that time Brexit should have happened.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 9:15 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
We have been through all the tests and due diligence, have now been approved for German citizenship, and will be eligible for German "EU" passports. The requirements are much the same in any EU member state. Moderate fluency in the local language is a big part of it, a basic understanding of the history of the country, and of course, fiscal viability.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

1. You should expect a reciprocal deal will be struck within the next three to four months. Spain has already indicated it is very keen to make such an arrangement which is no surprise with all those British expats contributing to the Spanish economy.

2. As others have mentioned there's no such thing as an 'EU passport' rather there are passports from the 28 EU member states; soon to be 27. To acquire another EU member state passport ahead of Brexit you'll need to fulfil the citizenship requirements of one of the other 27 nations. If you have Irish-born parent or grandparent then that would be the simplest way to go. Otherwise you should sit tight in Spain until you are eligible for Spanish citizenship.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:27 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,
1. I have a job here and have been working since August 2015, obviously a tax payer on the padron and NIE, have a Spanish driving licence and own a property here.

You should also have signed on the list of foreigners and obtained your (green) residency certificate.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:52 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
1. You should expect a reciprocal deal will be struck within the next three to four months. Spain has already indicated it is very keen to make such an arrangement which is no surprise with all those British expats contributing to the Spanish economy.

2. As others have mentioned there's no such thing as an 'EU passport' rather there are passports from the 28 EU member states; soon to be 27. To acquire another EU member state passport ahead of Brexit you'll need to fulfil the citizenship requirements of one of the other 27 nations. If you have Irish-born parent or grandparent then that would be the simplest way to go. Otherwise you should sit tight in Spain until you are eligible for Spanish citizenship.

Spainmay be keen to continue with a reciprocal agreement but will the UK?

Howmany brexit voter’s will be happy that the current EU residents living in the UKwill remain and what restrictions do they want on them? For example, if they arenot working, and living on benefits but have families or working under theradar etc. What about all the expats who live under the radar in Spain?

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tadd1966

Spainmay be keen to continue with a reciprocal agreement but will the UK?

Howmany brexit voter’s will be happy that the current EU residents living in the UKwill remain and what restrictions do they want on them? For example, if they arenot working, and living on benefits but have families or working under theradar etc. What about all the expats who live under the radar in Spain?
I'm sure Theresa May has explicitly said so and added that she is keen to have such arrangements in place at the earliest opportunity
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KieronF
I'm sure Theresa May has explicitly said so and added that she is keen to have such arrangements in place at the earliest opportunity
What agreements and what does it cover?

What about EU citizens in UK living on benefits or working under the radar?

What about EU citizens who work in UK and have family members (spouse and children) giving in their home country - will they be allowed in to the UK post brexit?

Post brexit who will be allowed in under these agreements?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
What agreements and what does it cover?

What about EU citizens in UK living on benefits or working under the radar?

What about EU citizens who work in UK and have family members (spouse and children) giving in their home country - will they be allowed in to the UK post brexit?

Post brexit who will be allowed in under these agreements?
As has been said already - nobody knows for sure and so nobody can give you a definitive answer. What is becoming clear is that Spain seems keen on maintaining the status quo in terms of British expats and it's own citizens living in the UK. Whether that enthusiasm translates into formal agreement is quite another thing. I am quite sure that the EU as a body of governance will seek to maintain a united front as much as possible during Brexit negotiations and it may well be that we see Brussels talking down hope of any such agreements between the UK and Spain. The post-brexit realities may be quite different - Spain has a massive trade surplus with the UK which they will be keen to maintain as without it, and the cash pumped into local economies by resident expats, their economy would become perilously fragile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.