Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

EU Driving Licence - new rules??

EU Driving Licence - new rules??

Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Beeba is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation EU Driving Licence - new rules??

Hi

Does anyone out there know about what you need to be able to legally drive a car in Spain.

I am Resident with the licence from UK

Thanks

Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EU Driving Licence - new rules??

Lots of posts on this. For example :
Originally Posted by El Capitan
Well my first post on here so here goes. I have struggled to follow the laws in Spain re EU (in particular UK) driving licenses and UK plated vehicles. I did the deed just last week to get the so-called "medical" as I wanted to carry on with my UK licence for a number of reasons. First I went to one of the many text centre clinicos around the area of Trafico, they insisted I only needed a medical certificate if I was changing or renewing my licence and sent me to speak to a specific contact name in Trafico. She first agreed that yes, as a holder of a UK licence I needed to pass the medical check up at the same frequency as a Spanish licence holder, which is every 5 years if you are between 45 and 70 and have not had corrective eye surgery. OK so that fits me and how do I do this, I ask. ................ "pause" ......... Ah, .............. "more pause" ................ well it is Spanish law that you have to pass the same medical but we dont have any system to register you having passed the medical, .................. yet. But if you have a Spanish plated car (yes) then you are in Trafico database under your NIE. Go do the medical, bring back the certificate and we will note it in our database. So off I goes back to the clinico and ask to do the medical. First a very simple eyesight test, literally one of the old charts on the wall but as apparently many Spanish dont read, they have shapes of different sizes, each being a square with one side removed and you have to see which side is missing, top, bottom, left or right. So far so good and now into another room where there is a computer screen and two T bar handles to hang on to. You grab one handle in each hand and when the start button is pressed you have to steer two blocks on the screen along two bands or roads flowing down the screen. If a block goes off the road, the machine beeps and you jump so you go off the road again and so on. Good practice for potential off-roaders I reckon . Then she says muy bien and with a passport style photo they make up the certificate, you pay your 30 euros and off you go back to Trafico. She smiles and takes the certificate, a copy of your passport and driving licence, makes some note in her database and charges you almost 18 euros tax for doing so. Come back in 5 years she says. So all done, no marking of licence to say you have done it, just a receipt for the tax. Maybe in 5 years time they will have a system for us EU extranjaneros.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

follow link within that quote to see full thread
Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beeba
Hi

Does anyone out there know about what you need to be able to legally drive a car in Spain.

I am Resident with the licence from UK

Thanks

UK licence, but you have to abide by the host country health regs, see bottom part of Free Beer Thread, road tax, and insurance, and car papers to be carried in the vehicle at all times.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks El Capitain and JDR.

Still I am fuzzed??

Do I need to get a Spanish Driving Licence or am I okay with the EU one??

Before in Spain I got the EU licence stamped at traffico to say it was valid

Heard whispers that the whole thing has changed now since those times so is that correct

Please can someone answer in a couple of lines or so

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2008, 2:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Please can someone answer in a couple of lines or so
Your endorsed UK licence is fine until it expires as Trafico have all your details on their database.

You do need to have a medical every 5 years if over 45 and if you send the certificate to Trafico they will put the fact that you have had a medical on the database so if you are stopped you will have no problems.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fred

Well thanks for that - so I must now go to Traffico and get the licence stamped, have a medical with the doc and I can drive without worrying...

Old Jul 27th 2008, 1:52 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Beeba.

Frankly I would just exchange the licence for a Spanish photo licence. You don't need a medical for that.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Hi Fred

Thank you for your response - my Partner who drives most has a Pink credit card sized licence with photo from UK is that any good??

Is it complicated to get a Spanish one - thanks

Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fred James
Hi Beeba.

Frankly I would just exchange the licence for a Spanish photo licence. You don't need a medical for that.
But you will then need a medical to renew the Spanish licence after 10, 5 or 2 yrs as appropriate. And you run the risk of losing some categories of vehicle if you are, like me, of senior years.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:02 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
But you will then need a medical to renew the Spanish licence after 10, 5 or 2 yrs as appropriate. And you run the risk of losing some categories of vehicle if you are, like me, of senior years.
cap some of those categories only apply to the uk or a trip.once you move they are void so even if you kept the uk licence and lived here they may be void sad tales if you get a clued up trafico.and belive me some are well clued up.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by betris
cap some of those categories only apply to the uk or a trip.once you move they are void so even if you kept the uk licence and lived here they may be void sad tales if you get a clued up trafico.and belive me some are well clued up.
But even if you dont use/drive those categories in Spain, whenever you are back in the UK for short or longer stays, you retain your entitlement to drive those categories. So far I find the guardia trafico intrigued at being shown a UK licence with homologation certificate. We even had a discussion how UK driving licences are valid until 70 without any regular medical checks and German licenses are valid for life without any checks. They appreciate that as a foreigner I have respected the laws of Spain (as a member state of the EU) rather than tried to ignore them.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi El Capitaino and Betris

Thanks for your responses - now I am really confused

My partner has the pink credit card UK licence with photo

Does he go to Traffico to validate or not??

Thanks

:curse:
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi El Capitaino and Betris

Thanks for your responses - now I am really confused

My partner has the pink credit card UK licence with photo

Does he go to Traffico to validate or not??

Thanks

As far as I am aware you no longer need to go to Traffico to have your licence validated ...... but you do need medical checks as per Spains rules and regulations.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mitzyboy

Thanks for that

How do you get a medical test done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.