Estate agents

Old Nov 10th 2017, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Johnand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Estate agents

Hi I have just come back from viewing properties around Valencia, whilst driving along the agent just dropped in that we would be charged 3% + vat if we bought anything. This was a bit of a bombshell to us. Is it normal or should we avoid this particular agent. Thanks

Last edited by Rosemary; Nov 11th 2017 at 7:44 am.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 5:36 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate agents

Originally Posted by Johnand
Hi I have just come back from viewing properties around Valencia, whilst driving along the agent just dropped in that we would be charged 3% + vat if we bought anything. This was a bit of a bombshell to us. Is it normal or should we avoid this particular agent. Thanks
It is becoming more normal but I would drop him and use someone else.

I guess it all depends if he is the only English speaking agent and you don't speak Spanish.

Last edited by Rosemary; Nov 11th 2017 at 7:45 am.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 7:59 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Old Nov 11th 2017, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I have purchased two properties in Spain, the last in 2014 and have never been charged a buyers fee.

If you do make an offer on a property you should make it clear to the seller that you have reduced your offer price by a further 3% to account for the buyers fee. It may be the sellers are unaware of this proposed charge and the Estate Agent is taking advantage, against the best interests of his Client who is probably paying him a further 6% to sell the property.

Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Was he quoting the amount that is retained until you prove you are resident in Spain?
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:16 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Was he quoting the amount that is retained until you prove you are resident in Spain?
No, agents are charging the buyer 3% plus IVA in some places now - just started here (inland).
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, are you sure that this 3% isn't the reservation deposit? This is usually taken off the purchase price when you complete or kept by the agent/vendor if you walk away. IMPORTANT....Do be sure to use your own solicitor to draw up the sales contract and do not sign anything with the agent until checked/amended by your solicitor. If you sign the agents' contract it may not be in your best interests.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Snikpoh,that is terrible.Was that very recently?I sold a property 2 years ago & that fee was not levied as I know the buyer would have said to me.But I live in a coastal area.I would have thought too that for inland property sales that would negate the idea that you can get a bargain away from the sea.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:42 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Suspiciously, when the seller is a *nonresident*, the *buyer* is obliged to pay >3%< of the sale price to hacienda to account for any applicable capital gains taxes potentially owed by the seller. This is deducted from the total sale price, you pay the seller 3% less as a result. The seller can get this back if they prove they don't have a capital gains liability. But that's not the buyers' problem.

I don't know if this is what's in play here, but the numbers coincide...