Estate Agents

Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Estate Agents

Why oh why do they not ring back? As some of you know we are having to move to a different area and I know Saturdays they only work half days so knew we wouldn't be able to view any premises but at least we could have a chat. We want a rental of 11 months and although most agents say long term that usually means you can have it over the winter then you have to go so that we can get mega bucks for the summer:curse: We rang I don't know how many agents and these are the responses - "I am only the Saturday girl can you ring back on Monday" We ring on Monday - she is out can she call you back - we waited in all aftenoon - no joy - rang this morning to ask whether they want the business - but we rang you - what number did you ring and told her ours - that's not the number you gave me!!!

Next one - the girl who does the rentals is on holiday until next Tuesday can you call back then - what!! So asked does no-one else cover her job - apparently not.

Next one - can you e-mail your requirements and we will get back to you. E-mail sent as soon as phone put down - any response - like hell - rang this morning - he is out until 12 - will call after then - still waiting - we are obviously in a different time zone.

Finally contacted one firm asked what of their rentals were 11 month rentals. She said she would e-mail the references over to us - they have arrived - we have rang and are seeing properties tomorrow.

I do feel so sorry for the people that are in England supposedly renting out their properties (probably to pay the mortgage) and if they only knew how diffcult it has been to get to see their properties

Anyway rant over - will let you know how we get on after tomorrow!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:24 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate Agents

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear about your problems and hope you find something suitable soon.

The 11 month thing is standard, it is so that you won't have a 5-year hold over the property. Our rental was the same, but every time it runs out our landlord comes and does a quick inspection (to make sure we haven't destroyed the place) and asks if we want to renew, so don't let it frighten you too much.

Best of luck on your search,
Martha
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear about your problems and hope you find something suitable soon.

The 11 month thing is standard, it is so that you won't have a 5-year hold over the property. Our rental was the same, but every time it runs out our landlord comes and does a quick inspection (to make sure we haven't destroyed the place) and asks if we want to renew, so don't let it frighten you too much.

Best of luck on your search,
Martha
I think you find the tenant has a right to renew the contract for up to five years if they so wish with any contract unless it stipulates it is a short term holiday let.
I posted a legal reply bit on another thread a little while ago.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:50 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I think you find the tenant has a right to renew the contract for up to five years if they so wish with any contract unless it stipulates it is a short term holiday let.
I posted a legal reply bit on another thread a little while ago.
Yes JDR, you are, of course, right. The Estate Agents just think they're being clever by making you sign a 11 month contract as opposed to a yearly one
Old Nov 6th 2007, 2:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Yes JDR, you are, of course, right. The Estate Agents just think they're being clever by making you sign a 11 month contract as opposed to a yearly one
I just found it again, the main bit ;-))
It seems if you are an owner renting out, you have to be very careful, and if you miss the end of the 5 year bit it could go on for another 3 years.

Quote.....
"The Urban Rentals Law of 1994 provides that the parties to a rental agreement may freely agree upon the terms concerning the duration of the contract.
According to this legislation, if the parties agree that the term of the rental agreement is for a period of less than five years, as seems to be your case, upon the date of expiry of the contract, it will be automatically renewed for successive one-year periods for a minimum of five years, unless the tenant notifies the landlord of his intention not to renew the contract within a period of thirty days prior to the expiry of the contract."
Old Nov 6th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

We are fine with an 11 month rental which is what we have at the moment it is just finding one!

Estate Agents advertise long term rental but what they mean is normally three months so that they supposedly get the more higher price summer lets.

I just somtimes begin to wonder if anyone has any pride in their job or commitment to their clients because those we have spoken to in the main this past week certainly didn't appear to have.

I have just received an e-mail from one agent with a property and it quite clearly states on the property "long term winter let". When I responded and said that we asked for details of 11 month rentals the response was "that's the only one I have". No apology for the error and quite curt.

It must be my age
Old Nov 6th 2007, 2:58 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried HERE
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lionda
Have you tried HERE
Oh very definitely - can't quite remember what their excuse was - I think they were ringing us back this afternoon to tell us what time to meet them on Thursday but when convenient to them rather than the other way around:curse:
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
We are fine with an 11 month rental which is what we have at the moment it is just finding one!
Yes, there is a massive shortage of reliable estate agencies here in Spain.

We looked from June until August for properties, contacted more than 25 agencies speculatively, and additionally responded to more than 10 adverts for properties to let. We responded by e-mail and phone in both English and Spanish. I flew across and knocked on several doors as well.

We had precisely ONE response. We are now renting that property.

I checked recently - ALL of the other properties we responded to are still 'to let'! Can anyone guess why?

We experienced exactly the same problems. "The person that does the lettings is on holiday / at the bank / not in today / with someone else / is too busy to speak with you. Call back next week."

In our direct experience:

1. Very few Spanish agencies seem to advertise on the web. Unless you are physically there knocking on doors and visiting agents, you will miss probably 99% of the properties available.

2. Of the few agencies that do advertise, the Spanish agencies will NOT expect replies from the web. So, when you e-mail them you can assume that they will NOT respond.

3. Agencies MIGHT respond when you phone, but usually negatively as above.

4. You are expected to turn up in PERSON. If you do turn up, they still may not speak with you if the person you need to speak to is not available. They will take your details, but they will NOT contact you. YOU are expected to chase them if you are interested.

Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by twyntub
Yes, there is a massive shortage of reliable estate agencies here in Spain.

We looked from June until August for properties, contacted more than 25 agencies speculatively, and additionally responded to more than 10 adverts for properties to let. We responded by e-mail and phone in both English and Spanish. I flew across and knocked on several doors as well.

We had precisely ONE response. We are now renting that property.

I checked recently - ALL of the other properties we responded to are still 'to let'! Can anyone guess why?

We experienced exactly the same problems. "The person that does the lettings is on holiday / at the bank / not in today / with someone else / is too busy to speak with you. Call back next week."

In our direct experience:

1. Very few Spanish agencies seem to advertise on the web. Unless you are physically there knocking on doors and visiting agents, you will miss probably 99% of the properties available.

2. Of the few agencies that do advertise, the Spanish agencies will NOT expect replies from the web. So, when you e-mail them you can assume that they will NOT respond.

3. Agencies MIGHT respond when you phone, but usually negatively as above.

4. You are expected to turn up in PERSON. If you do turn up, they still may not speak with you if the person you need to speak to is not available. They will take your details, but they will NOT contact you. YOU are expected to chase them if you are interested.

Frightening isn't it. Have been into most of the Estate Agents in Guardamar and now extending out of the town.:curse:
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Still waiting for the promised afternoon phonecalls!!!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok so I caved in and rang them because they had three houses we wanted to view. Guess what - no answer and no answerphone!! Have waited in all afternoon for the phone call so that we could try and liase with them and another agent who was based elsewhere and had a couple I wanted to view.

Where is that b***dy bottle!!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:55 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
Ok so I caved in and rang them because they had three houses we wanted to view. Guess what - no answer and no answerphone!! Have waited in all afternoon for the phone call so that we could try and liase with them and another agent who was based elsewhere and had a couple I wanted to view.

Where is that b***dy bottle!!
Looks like there is an opening here for a decent letting agents in Spain
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Lionda
Looks like there is an opening here for a decent letting agents in Spain
I know one, but in this area. ;-)
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Hi

Have encountered similar problems as i wanted to rent first. In the end i went into see Fiesta Property in Fuengirola. They told me to come into the office while i was over looking and to my suprise the rentals girl was on holiday. I thought here we go again but there had been a big mix up and the sales staff from the comercial department jumped in and did there upmost best to help to which they did.

First class service after the initail mix up and an excellent laugh and joke with them as well.

Now 2 months and 1 day till i move i'm not counting them days honest.

John