Espanglish

Old May 26th 2008, 5:24 pm
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,081
me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Espanglish

A while back I asked if it was a good idea to have a Spanish post, and I was reminded about the rule (only English) I was told it was against the rules as some would not understand and we could be using bad or inappropriate language. Fair enough, but how about a thread where we post in Spanish with the English translation. Even if you only put 1 Spanish word in a paragraph its a start. As most on this forum seem to struggle with Spanish I think it would be a good idea, not only that, it would be a laugh. A lot of people on the forum can write and understand a lot of Spanish (I have had quite a lot of Pams in Spanish, so I know) The thing is, I think it is
embarrassment that stops people taking the plunge. If we did it in a light hearted way, telling others about our mistakes. Like writing a card wishing someone a Happy New arsehole, instead of Happy New year. (I cant put accents on words on this computer as this is a laptop and the only way I know how to, is to use the number pad with the ALT and 4 number code, that this computer doesnt have. Mistakes on menus and that sort of thing. If anyone wants to ask a question then they could. Nothing heavy, just a bit of fun and you never know we could all pick up some bits on the way. You never stop learning a language, as it evolves all the time. 10 years ago who knew what an IPOD was.
me me is offline  
Old May 26th 2008, 5:51 pm
  #2  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Espanglish

Originally Posted by me me
A while back I asked if it was a good idea to have a Spanish post, and I was reminded about the rule (only English) I was told it was against the rules as some would not understand and we could be using bad or inappropriate language. Fair enough, but how about a thread where we post in Spanish with the English translation. Even if you only put 1 Spanish word in a paragraph its a start. As most on this forum seem to struggle with Spanish I think it would be a good idea, not only that, it would be a laugh. A lot of people on the forum can write and understand a lot of Spanish (I have had quite a lot of Pams in Spanish, so I know) The thing is, I think it is
embarrassment that stops people taking the plunge. If we did it in a light hearted way, telling others about our mistakes. Like writing a card wishing someone a Happy New arsehole, instead of Happy New year. (I cant put accents on words on this computer as this is a laptop and the only way I know how to, is to use the number pad with the ALT and 4 number code, that this computer doesnt have. Mistakes on menus and that sort of thing. If anyone wants to ask a question then they could. Nothing heavy, just a bit of fun and you never know we could all pick up some bits on the way. You never stop learning a language, as it evolves all the time. 10 years ago who knew what an IPOD was.
If you do a search, there was a thread started, called "A word a day" or something similar, resurrect that one.
I think it died though because it started getting a bit too technical and although good for some, well over the heads if others.

The reason why it is kept to English is the amount of countries where expats live, and all British expats know English. No admin or mod would ever be able to take in a hundred languages, it`s hard enough with two or three.
jdr is offline  
Old May 26th 2008, 6:35 pm
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,081
me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Espanglish

Originally Posted by jdr
If you do a search, there was a thread started, called "A word a day" or something similar, resurrect that one.
I think it died though because it started getting a bit too technical and although good for some, well over the heads if others.

The reason why it is kept to English is the amount of countries where expats live, and all British expats know English. No admin or mod would ever be able to take in a hundred languages, it`s hard enough with two or three.
I am not talking about taking over the whole forum, and surely if the translation was already there would be no problem. As this is for Expats living is Spain, which is the language we should all have in common, I dont see what you are saying about 100 languages. This is for British expats living in Spain, so why would we get posts in Greek? As for it being good for some and not others, and things getting too technical, that is where personal choice comes in. We dont have to read every single post on every thread, do we? I see lots of post on here and I dont know what people are talking about but so what? Some I am just not interest in. We are not all the same, I am not talking about force feeding anyone, if people want to join in then they can, if not,they dont. Just like any other thread. I dont read or reply to the sports ones, but that doesnt mean they should not be there. As we can all ask for help with finding plumbers or whatever, why not be able to ask for advice on one of the most important issues in this country, the language? The fact that not everyone will be interested or able is not the point. I am not saying that the thread must continue forever and a day. That is not the nature of the beast, thread die, threads are resurected all the time, often repeated. The fact that it is all in English makes it ok to do so. With this Espanglish one we need permission to do it, apart from that it is just another common-all-garden thread. As a person with one foot in each camp (now, now) I understand how important the language is. My family in UK had to learn from scratch, and did, but here it can be done in a not so urgent way, as there are so many Brits here. For the ones who would like to try, there are not many opportunities to have a go without jumping right in the deep end. This can be done without feeling embarrassed as this is a major stumbling block, I am not talking about speaking to Spanish people, I am talking about speaking infront of other Brits. For some reason it is Brits holding each other back. My mother was in hospital and was asked by the nurse if she had had a STOOL, she said yes. She thought it was for visitors to sit on. As it turned out each day she was asked and so her chart was normal, but things were not right. The same misunderstandings can happen anywhere, but if you can ask a question and be pointed in the right direction, where is the harm. There are some very able Spanish speakers on this site, and I am sure they would help someone in a bind. A lot of posters want to live out their days in Spain, and learning the language is important for them, and if this forum can help, even just a little, then it surely is a good thing. If people dont want to participate that is OK. It is one small thread amongst thousands.
But i think it is very narrowminded of Big Brother, to put the mockers on, what could be a helpful tool to us in Spain.
me me is offline  
Old May 26th 2008, 6:49 pm
  #4  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Espanglish

Originally Posted by me me
I am not talking about taking over the whole forum, and surely if the translation was already there would be no problem. As this is for Expats living is Spain, which is the language we should all have in common, I dont see what you are saying about 100 languages. This is for British expats living in Spain, so why would we get posts in Greek? As for it being good for some and not others, and things getting too technical, that is where personal choice comes in. We dont have to read every single post on every thread, do we? I see lots of post on here and I dont know what people are talking about but so what? Some I am just not interest in. We are not all the same, I am not talking about force feeding anyone, if people want to join in then they can, if not,they dont. Just like any other thread. I dont read or reply to the sports ones, but that doesnt mean they should not be there. As we can all ask for help with finding plumbers or whatever, why not be able to ask for advice on one of the most important issues in this country, the language? The fact that not everyone will be interested or able is not the point. I am not saying that the thread must continue forever and a day. That is not the nature of the beast, thread die, threads are resurected all the time, often repeated. The fact that it is all in English makes it ok to do so. With this Espanglish one we need permission to do it, apart from that it is just another common-all-garden thread. As a person with one foot in each camp (now, now) I understand how important the language is. My family in UK had to learn from scratch, and did, but here it can be done in a not so urgent way, as there are so many Brits here. For the ones who would like to try, there are not many opportunities to have a go without jumping right in the deep end. This can be done without feeling embarrassed as this is a major stumbling block, I am not talking about speaking to Spanish people, I am talking about speaking infront of other Brits. For some reason it is Brits holding each other back. My mother was in hospital and was asked by the nurse if she had had a STOOL, she said yes. She thought it was for visitors to sit on. As it turned out each day she was asked and so her chart was normal, but things were not right. The same misunderstandings can happen anywhere, but if you can ask a question and be pointed in the right direction, where is the harm. There are some very able Spanish speakers on this site, and I am sure they would help someone in a bind. A lot of posters want to live out their days in Spain, and learning the language is important for them, and if this forum can help, even just a little, then it surely is a good thing. If people dont want to participate that is OK. It is one small thread amongst thousands.
But i think it is very narrowminded of Big Brother, to put the mockers on, what could be a helpful tool to us in Spain.
Hardly very narrow minded of Big Brother, in fact big brother turned a blind eye to that thread, so dig it out.
You don`t really understand do you, any member can post on any thread, so if there was any language allowed you could end up with as I say 100 languages being posted, that is why the common language is English only.
You want to post Spanish, then someone else can post French, then someone else can post Arabic, it would be never ending.
jdr is offline  
Old May 26th 2008, 6:52 pm
  #5  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,081
me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Espanglish

Originally Posted by jdr
Hardly very narrow minded of Big Brother, in fact big brother turned a blind eye to that thread, so dig it out.
You don`t really understand do you, any member can post on any thread, so if there was any language allowed you could end up with as I say 100 languages being posted, that is why the common language is English only.
You want to post Spanish, then someone else can post French, then someone else can post Arabic, it would be never ending.
OK YOU WIN
me me is offline  
Old May 26th 2008, 6:57 pm
  #6  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Espanglish

Originally Posted by me me
OK YOU WIN
It`s not a fight, it`s just the rules have been thought out to make it easier for everybody on the site.
jdr is offline  
Old May 26th 2008, 7:11 pm
  #7  
 
poshnbucks's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,433
poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Espanglish

Originally Posted by jdr
It`s not a fight, it`s just the rules have been thought out to make it easier for everybody on the site.

聽到聽到

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 26th 2008 at 7:15 pm.
poshnbucks is offline  
Old May 26th 2008, 7:14 pm
  #8  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,081
me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Espanglish

Originally Posted by jdr
Hardly very narrow minded of Big Brother, in fact big brother turned a blind eye to that thread, so dig it out.
You don`t really understand do you, any member can post on any thread, so if there was any language allowed you could end up with as I say 100 languages being posted, that is why the common language is English only.
You want to post Spanish, then someone else can post French, then someone else can post Arabic, it would be never ending.
I said to confine it to one thread and I am not expecting ream and reams and the translation will be provided by the poster. I an not asking to post in Spanish only, it would be more a help with a word or phrase site. If the same rule applied to each country then only Greek would be posted on the Greece site. Anyway I have no more to say on the subject, going away for a few weeks bye for now.
me me is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.