Reload this Page >

España! Quiero volver pronto :)

España! Quiero volver pronto :)

Old Dec 29th 2011, 9:48 am
Just Joined

spanish_learner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default España! Quiero volver pronto :)

Hola chico/a's!

I have recently returned to London after a 6 week Spanish course in Salamanca and it was truly a wonderful experience. I am relatively new to language learning as I didn't study languages at University..I started with self-study about 2 years ago. This was my first "immersion" experience. Life seemed very good while I was out there! More relaxed, friendly people, amazing nightlife etc, wow it was also great to meet other international students who love Spain/Spanish language.. I really enjoyed being immersed in the language and culture!

Now I am back to London and would like to spend more time out in Spain, not sure about moving for good but I would like some more experience of living and working abroad. I did a basic TEFL course but I don't think I am suited to public speaking (I feel uncomfortable!) and couldn't imagine teaching all day. I was thinking of going to Madrid next and have an option of a 3 month Teaching English placement which pays 500EUR a month. Do you think that is enough to live well there? Seems low!

My career experience is.. lots of events, admin and office experience.. I studied Graphic Design for my degree but I don't use it any more, I am no longer into designing.

I also have a distinct lack of funds after my recent trip, and no further savings There are lots of things I would like to hear your views on:
How hard it is for Brits to find work in Spain at the moment?
Is teaching English really the best or most popular option for a native English speaker i.e. someone like me with Level A2.2 Spanish (Elementary) to earn a decent wage?
How is your life in Spain and what part did you pick (and why?)
Would you recommend I save a decent amount before I go back?

Thanks!!

Last edited by spanish_learner; Dec 29th 2011 at 10:45 am.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: España! Quiero volver pronto :)

A refreshing change to hear of someone that has fallen in love with the language and the culture, and wants to move there for those reasons rather than the weather! Well done you! Can't help with the jobs, but TEFL qualifications are pretty common, that fact might be reflected in the wages offered. Can't imagine you'd be doing much partying in Madrid on those wages though, about £120 a week? You say you don't really fancy teaching but I'd think you'd find it difficult to find much else, tbh, many thousands of Spanish are leaving for those very reasons, jobs are very hard to come by. I wish you luck, at least you'll have a decent grounding in the language.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:27 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spanish_learner
Hola chico/a's!

I have recently returned to London after a 6 week Spanish course in Salamanca and it was truly a wonderful experience. I am relatively new to language learning as I didn't study languages at University..I started with self-study about 2 years ago. This was my first "immersion" experience. Life seemed very good while I was out there! More relaxed, friendly people, amazing nightlife etc, wow it was also great to meet other international students who love Spain/Spanish language.. I really enjoyed being immersed in the language and culture!

Now I am back to London and would like to spend more time out in Spain, not sure about moving for good but I would like some more experience of living and working abroad. I did a basic TEFL course but I don't think I am suited to public speaking (I feel uncomfortable!) and couldn't imagine teaching all day. I was thinking of going to Madrid next and have an option of a 3 month Teaching English placement which pays 500EUR a month. Do you think that is enough to live well there? Seems low!

My career experience is.. lots of events, admin and office experience.. I studied Graphic Design for my degree but I don't use it any more, I am no longer into designing.

I also have a distinct lack of funds after my recent trip, and no further savings There are lots of things I would like to hear your views on:
Is teaching English really the best or most popular option for a native English speaker i.e. someone like me with Level A2.2 Spanish (Elementary) to earn a decent wage?

Thanks!!
Hi. Most people I know who taught English as a foreign language in Madrid, can earn between 25 and 40 euros a hour for private and/or business classes. Bear in mind though that you need a couple of years' experience to get those amounts, also that you will spend a lot of time moving between different locations. A language school will typically pay between 15 and 18 Euros per hour. I know you don't like the prospect of teaching all day, but if you get the experience behind you, maybe you'll be able to teach part-time or branch into translation work.

That 500 a month sounds far too low for Madrid imo. And yes you will certainly need a bit of cash to get you past the first couple of months. There continues to be great demand for English teachers in the capital, and indeed the economy there is somewhat different to the Med coast, which means salaries and also accommodation costs are higher. I suspect just renting a room will cost at least 400 Euros a month, and then you will have the travel bono, food etc.
You may wish to start getting some experience at an English language school in the UK and then moving to Madrid. You will find that you are paid less in the UK than in Madrid!

For an initial idea of what's available, click on the magazine link on this web-site
http://www.in-madrid.com/virtual.html
Pages 13 and 14 in the current issue have adverts from various language schools. You may also try approaching the language schools on the following page (but it may be a little out of date)
http://www.madridinsider.com/?q=node/123
Another site that may be worth investigating:
http://www.madridteacher.com/
It's also worth searching on twitter - try "Madrid jobs" at daily intervals.

Here are a couple of links that will give you a feel for expat prospects in Madrid currently:

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/glob...-in-madrid/810
Most of Madrid’s cervecerias only feature the Spanish football (soccer) games at night, filling with customers just from 8 to 10 p.m. It is Madrid’s nearly 50 Irish bars that are leading the reinvention of the Spanish hospitality industry, in order to attract a more steady and diverse customer base. They fill their bars night after night by offering flexible entertainment, international sports, live music with no cover charges, diverse menus, and, of course, a wider selection of beer.

“I think the attraction of Irish pubs for new ex-pat customers is the familiarity, the social network of other ex-pats, and the chance to socialize with Spanish people in a supportive atmosphere,” said Wendy Goebey, part-owner of Triskel Tavern in the Malasaña barrio. ”The attraction for Spaniards is that they are familiar with the pub concept from traveling to the UK and Ireland, and (it is) a chance to practice their English.”
http://aviewofmadrid.blogspot.com/20...f-thought.html

I was attending a meeting with other teachers recently. All of them were reporting, like me, if they wanted it, an increase in workload. We may well be in a recession, but language teaching seems to be hardly affected. It's not just English. French and German are also, it seems, needed by Spanish businessmen and women. Not all companies have been affected by the crisis. They might not be enjoying the boom times of recent years, and this is probably, and not too late, making them reflect on their marketing strategies. The companies I teach at are telling me something very interesting: it is not a priority for their employees to pass an exam in English. They want their employees to close the deal, sell, get the contract signed, advertise and network – and whether this is done grammatically or not is not important, so long as communication is established.
The problem as regards office and admin work is that you will be up against so much competition from native speakers. You've got to find an area where you can provide something extra, such as teaching English, or even website programming which is still in great demand everywhere.

Last link that you may find useful:

http://moving2madrid.com/2011/07/how...-job-in-spain/

First of all, I would like to make it clear that it’s neither easy nor impossible to get a job in Spain. Even if unemployment just reached 21% and youth unemployment amounts to an astounding 43 % (I was 24 and freshly graduated when I found my first 2 jobs), there are plenty of opportunities for resourceful expats in Madrid. Indeed, Madrid is really the best place in Spain to get a job right now in general, and the language and organization skills anglosaxon tend to have are very sought after as Madrid is getting more and more international after being pretty closed until the 1990′s.
Good luck!

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Dec 29th 2011 at 11:40 am.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hola chico/a's!

Thanks!!
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 29th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Hola chico/a's!

I have recently returned to London after a 6 week Spanish course in Salamanca...
Salamanca - best tapas bars in Spain if you know where

I'm currently in Madrid for work. I'm an artist - I don't do it for the money. If you just want a room in a shared house you can live comfortably here for €500/month if you avoid the tourist hotspots for nightlife.

If you are looking for temporary accommodation on a budget there's a Youth Hostal/backpackers place close to Plaza España, or if you want your own room (€16/night without shower, €22/night for a twin room with shower) Pension Conde De Alba is a family run place. Also close to Plaza España on Calle Juan Alvarez Rodriguez. Lovelly people. Clean, quiet and comfortable - excellent value.

Plaza de España is not the most beautiful part of Madrid in most peoples eyes, but I love the area. Thriving independent cinemas, galleries, alternative bars and cafes etc etc etc. Very contemporary buildings which are just beginning to be recognised for what they are - classics.

I much prefer Madrid to Barcelona as a place to live, or stay a long time. Obviously, it will be worth checking chouchsurfing.com for social contacts and temporary accommodation. It's not just about finding a sofa for a night.

As for learning Spanish basics; there is some great free video stuff on the BBC website (coincidently set in Madrid). You'll find it interesting and useful. Once you're in Madrid post up a few flyers asking for an 'intercambio'. Conversation exchange with Spanish people wishing to improve their English. You speak Spanish - they speak English. Again, this is a great way of making social and work connections.

I love Madrid. It rocks! Good stuff is beginning to happen here culturally. I love the area around Atocha also, but Plaza España is currently more convenient for me.

Go for it! You'll have fun. If you want some English speaking contacts PM me for some email addresses.

e2a; Just remembered Madridman. Worth Googling. I met him a couple of years ago.

Last edited by TheLostPhotographer; Dec 29th 2011 at 6:16 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

This deserves a post of it's own:

Check my blog for the 'secret Chinese'. At the top of Plaza España there is a very annonymous looking entrance to an underground carpark. Walk down the steps to discover the Chinese resto all the real Chinese people eat at. It's my top secret tip for Madrid. Cheap as chips and twice as healthy.

I shouldn't be telling too many people about this. I had to queue for a table today and they've increased their prices 20% during crisis - news is spreading! Still only €3.95 for a 'more than you can eat' takeaway tub of delicious rice, chicken and freshly fried vegetables though.

Last edited by TheLostPhotographer; Dec 29th 2011 at 6:37 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:57 pm
Banned

porcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Hi. Most people I know who taught English as a foreign language in Madrid, can earn between 25 and 40 euros a hour for private and/or business classes.
Kinda ot but does anyone know where I could find a private language tutor? My Spanish is decent but I'm looking to improve and a one on one Spanish tutor would be ideal. Can anyone link me any websites or advertisements to find one? I'm based in the Costa del Sol.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

The Costa Del Sol is a pretty big area! If you are Nerja way then I can give you some advice. Apart from that there are lots of people willing to offer free conversational Spanish in exchange for the same in English and if your level is decent then its a cheap way to learn over a beer or coffee and make friends
Old Dec 30th 2011, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

spanish_learner is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your advice and the links..those are really useful.
Good to get a realistic view and do some research. I have an English Teaching placement lined up in London in January so I will see how I like teaching..

Will save up a bit I think before coming back especially if I come over on a low paid placement at first. Au pair jobs pay even less!
Seem to be taking baby steps to moving over.. each time I want to stay longer and longer..so the prep begins

Aha Salamanca tapas bars, were you thinking of Calle Van Dyck, I loved going there. Lots of choice and lovely tapas..

Last edited by spanish_learner; Dec 30th 2011 at 12:04 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aha Salamanca tapas bars, were you thinking of Calle Van Dyck, I loved going there. Lots of choice and lovely tapas..
Whenever I've stayed in Salamanca I've used 2 small tapas bars opposite Parque de la Almedilla. Very much locals bars just off the tourist scene on the other side of town from the university.

From Plaza Mayor walk to the end of Calle Toro and turn right. Two bars very close together on the right of the main road opposite the small park. Delicious traditional caseroles in small terracotta dishes with bread and a nice glass of Toro. Perfect this time of year

No idea if you have visited Madrid - I'm guessing you have. As a city to live and work in it's very different to Salamanca. Much more modern and cosmopolitan, but still very much preserving and selling it's past and art/architectural heritage to many, many tourists. The main shopping areas are pure hell ATM

If you decide to visit looking more seriously at staying I would suggest getting in touch with Madridman. He's alright and I know how he makes his real money. It may interest you...

He teaches English to groups of business people using hotel facilities for networking conferences etc. He gets a free room with fullboard, and then he gets paid very nicely on top of that. Might be worth a try yourself to get a feel of teaching business people. They pretty much treat it as a works holiday, so they're much more relaxed than when working.

I don't have teaching qualifications and have never looked for work teaching English. However, I am regularly asked to teach small groups of children to correct the English they learn at school. Often middle class families with money who speak English well enough themselves to recognise mistakes, but will pay someone else to teach their children whilst they work.

You might also (or, anyone else reading who's interested) research summer camp work. It doesn't pay brilliantly but you get accommodation and all costs covered, so it's possible to save a small lump. Speaking English with Spanish children whilst running an arts, crafts, music, 'whatever' workshop/s. It's good fun.

I know most universities have connections with such camps allowing their facilities to be used during summer holidays.

To much time on my hands this evening! I should go out and explore a new part of Madrid. Plenty I haven't seen yet.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 6:43 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Just come across this site - I'm sure some here will already know of it - but (for example) you can search for all language schools in Madrid province, many of them will teach English.

http://11870.com/k/language-schools/...drid-provincia
Old Dec 30th 2011, 7:07 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with language schools is that they may pay quite a good rate per hour, but there are only a few hours work, so the wage is often still crap at the end of the month.

As for translating as it was suggested, to reach the required level takes years and to get a translating job is very difficult even in the big cities.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 12:56 am
Banned

porcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marqueemoon
The Costa Del Sol is a pretty big area! If you are Nerja way then I can give you some advice. Apart from that there are lots of people willing to offer free conversational Spanish in exchange for the same in English and if your level is decent then its a cheap way to learn over a beer or coffee and make friends
I'm based in Marbella, I can carry a conversation in Spanish but would like to improve my grammar and pronunciation if you know of any tutors. But it's not just Spanish, in the future I would like to learn a fourth language.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
The problem with language schools is that they may pay quite a good rate per hour, but there are only a few hours work, so the wage is often still crap at the end of the month.

As for translating as it was suggested, to reach the required level takes years and to get a translating job is very difficult even in the big cities.
Agree, the wages ain't great, and some work some weird hours, most schools also have something cultural happening in the evenings/weekends which involves some of the teachers to be there. Slightly different, but I knew a guy that worked in Madrid, and he gave telephone classes to businessmen before they went to work, ie he started about 7am. Lots doing it on skype now, min €20 an hour, no idea how successful they are though. Yes, I wouldn't even think of translating unless you have an excellent level in the language, and as you say, that takes years and it doesn't pay that well. Read the translator's forums, most seem to be struggling for work. I had a Spanish teacher here in UK from Barcelona, a translator, and she was here working in a sports shop because firstly it was a job, and secondly, even when she could get translation work in Spain, the shop work paid better. That and charging three of us £30 an hour!!!!
Old Dec 31st 2011, 8:10 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree, the wages ain't great, and some work some weird hours, most schools also have something cultural happening in the evenings/weekends which involves some of the teachers to be there. Slightly different, but I knew a guy that worked in Madrid, and he gave telephone classes to businessmen before they went to work, ie he started about 7am. Lots doing it on skype now, min €20 an hour, no idea how successful they are though. Yes, I wouldn't even think of translating unless you have an excellent level in the language, and as you say, that takes years and it doesn't pay that well. Read the translator's forums, most seem to be struggling for work. I had a Spanish teacher here in UK from Barcelona, a translator, and she was here working in a sports shop because firstly it was a job, and secondly, even when she could get translation work in Spain, the shop work paid better. That and charging three of us £30 an hour!!!!
When I speak about translators, I mean ones that do it as a job,for a salary at the end of the month, like someone I know who works for a big shipyard.

The ones that "Translate" in everyday situations due to the "clients" lack of language ability, are basically "mopping up".

No qualifications required for that, but then again it is feast of famine, no work for a week, than on a night dining out, somone phones because they need to go to A&E or whatever.......

No one can make a new start in a new country, with no financial back up, on those terms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.