eSim

Old Dec 22nd 2021, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: eSim

Originally Posted by Loco View Post
Fred is right. You are right that a photo ID is not required but I don't think Fred ever said that it was. The law can be found at:
https://www.boe.es/buscar/act.php?la...-18243&tn=1&p=

Is it possible to buy a Vodafone SIM card online and later activate it by just providing a passport number : yes
Is it legal: no

I will eat my hat if you bought the SIM direct from Vodafone online and they activated it just on inputting a passport number. This is illegal and if you check the law above I think you will find it is considered a serious or very serious criminal offence..

Yes loads of resellers of Vodafone cards ( and all the others ) exist on line who openly promote they will activate it on just an ID number. They use different tricks to do this and exploit a loophole in the Law. Been going on for years.

Best
Loco

​​​​
Bought from Amazon. Activated online with Vodafone using her passport number. What law are you referring that prevents it?
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 9:07 pm
DLC
BE Enthusiast

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

According to the link above:

La identificación se efectuará mediante documento acreditativo de la personalidad, haciéndose constar en el libro-registro el nombre, apellidos y nacionalidad del comprador, así como el número correspondiente al documento identificativo utilizado y la naturaleza o denominación de dicho documento.
So activating a SIM giving your name, nationality, and passport number seems fine to me.

Last edited by DLC; Dec 22nd 2021 at 9:10 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2021, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DLC View Post

So activating a SIM giving your name, nationality, and passport number seems fine to me.
Worked perfectly well for my wife.
Old Dec 26th 2021, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny enough I have just changed mobile provider from Hits. I asked for the new provider to transfer my number to the new SIM. No problem they said. However there is a problem as they say the Hits SIM isn't in my name? All the details on my online Hits account are in my name I've had the sim about 4 years even had a new SIM sent in my name to my address when Hits updated Sims about 2 years ago. On checking my account I did notice the telephone numbers recorded are different to mine and refer to landline. I can only assume that the shop I bought it from which I'll add is shown as official Hits dealer has somehow set the sim up under their details with me as a user ? I wasn't aware and have ran the sim account as mine. I have provided the details of the seller to the new SIM provider who are going to contact the Hits SIM shop and hopefully get details to sort it out so I can switch the old number to the new SIM. All very confusing.
Old Dec 26th 2021, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

The law I provided a link to.

Best
Loco
Originally Posted by airways View Post
Bought from Amazon. Activated online with Vodafone using her passport number. What law are you referring that prevents it?
Old Dec 26th 2021, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

The law I provided a link to.

Best
Loco
Your interpretation of the law appears to be incorrect.
Old Dec 26th 2021, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

It's not. It's as part of the clause you posted from my link states. .....La identificación se efectuará mediante documento acreditativo de la personalidad......

Best
Loco

Originally Posted by DLC View Post

Old Dec 26th 2021, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

With the greatest respect the link isn't my interpretation of the Law...... It is the Law !

Best
Loco

Your interpretation of the law appears to be incorrect.
Old Dec 26th 2021, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

With the greatest respect the link isn't my interpretation of the Law...... It is the Law !

Best
Loco
Where exactly does it say it in the law? I have translated it and can’t see it. If you could be so kind as to help out with the specific part you refer to it would be really helpful.

Identification will be made by means of a document proving personality, stating in the book-registration the name, surname and nationality of the buyer, as well as the number corresponding to the identification document used and the nature or name of said document.
I think you are confusing contract and pay and go sims. You certainly need a at least an NIE for a contract but for pay and go a passport is quite sufficient as everyone who has one will attest to.

https://www.citylifemadrid.com/findi...time-in-spain/

Last edited by airways; Dec 26th 2021 at 4:02 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 8:13 pm
DLC
BE Enthusiast

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

"La identificación se efectuará mediante documento acreditativo de la personalidad"

But there's nothing that says it the document has to be shown in person or the customer has to upload a scan of it, all it says is that that's the document that the customer will be ID'd with and it then goes on to say what data from the document will be stored in the teleco's database.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Of couse.

Others have already posted the relevant clause in the Law I first highlighted and posted a link to.

In addition you will find much the same under a disposition in the same law that specifically deals with Pre Paid cards. Just go to the link I provided and search for this :
Disposición adicional única. Servicios de telefonía mediante tarjetas de prepago

[size=13px]Best[/size]
[size=13px]Loco[/size]

[size=13px]
Where exactly does it say it in the law? I have translated it and can’t see it. If you could be so kind as to help out with the specific part you refer to it would be really helpful.[/size]

I think you are confusing contract and pay and go sims. You certainly need a at least an NIE for a contract but for pay and go a passport is quite sufficient as everyone who has one will attest to.

https://www.citylifemadrid.com/findi...time-in-spain/

Last edited by Loco; Dec 28th 2021 at 11:35 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Going back to the OPs question and the thread title they could have acquired an eSim before they arrived in Spain and activated it so long as thier phone was compatible.

I don't see the point. The provider mentioned in subsequent posts is legit and ultimately owned by a huge multi national. Their contract is based on French Law so proving ID etc is at least as strict as Spain if not harder and likely to be inforced.

Thier fees are also eye watering and the service offered very limited.

For someone who needs large amounts of data roaming and travels rapidly and extensively worldwide were WiFi isn't freely available I guess it may make sense but otherwise I really can't see it as worthwhile.

Best
Loco

Old Dec 29th 2021, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

My wife’s Vodafone sim is €10 a month. 900 minutes of calls and 15gb data which rolls over as long as you top up €10 each month. She currently has around 90gb of rolled over data. Pretty good value. It was registered on her passport and she has no problems with it so I will leave the barrack room lawyers to argue amongst themselves on the legality as I am certain in the real world nobody actually gives a toss…