Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Entry into Spain

Entry into Spain

Old Sep 21st 2021, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entry into Spain

On entry into Santander from the UK via car ferry yesterday (20th September), the Police yesterday asked to see my NIE & Padron. We have been resident in the Basque country for 12 years and never in all that time have we been asked for those documents at a frontier check.
The police also said that my NIE was out of date, at which I was most surprised as I'm sure they are permanent & do not carry an expiry date on them.
It sounds logical to be asked for one's proof of residence but I've never yet had to show it or even found it written anywhere as a requiremment.

Does anyone know if the rules have changed or was that particular policeman being typically assertive?
Old Sep 21st 2021, 7:42 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry into Spain

Rather than carry original cards and documents, I have a phots of them all on my phone.

Originally I was given a A4 sized paper NIE document but last year when I updated it, they gave me a small credit card sized bit of paper. Was that possibly what they were referring to?
Old Sep 21st 2021, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute

Was he asking for your NIE and padrón because you'd said you're a resident and therefore shouldn't have your passport stamped? If not, why was he asking for those documents?

On Wednesday I flew into Santander airport and needed my vaccination certificate, a health control form (FCS), my green residency card and of course my passport. Did you have all these?
Old Sep 21st 2021, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
On entry into Santander from the UK via car ferry yesterday (20th September), the Police yesterday asked to see my NIE & Padron. We have been resident in the Basque country for 12 years and never in all that time have we been asked for those documents at a frontier check.
The police also said that my NIE was out of date, at which I was most surprised as I'm sure they are permanent & do not carry an expiry date on them.
It sounds logical to be asked for one's proof of residence but I've never yet had to show it or even found it written anywhere as a requiremment.

Does anyone know if the rules have changed or was that particular policeman being typically assertive?

I think you need to get the terminology correct or else everyone gets confused. I doubt the officer ask for your NIE if he meant you to give a document- your NIE is a number for financial identification. He most likely meant your green card/TIE . You showed your document ( paper or green card) he meant that you need a new TIE as NIE is a permanent number. Sounds like there were language issues ( either with your Spanish or his English)
Old Sep 21st 2021, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Rather than carry original cards and documents, I have a phots of them all on my phone.

Originally I was given a A4 sized paper NIE document but last year when I updated it, they gave me a small credit card sized bit of paper. Was that possibly what they were referring to?
Can't be because I had my A4 size NIE copied into a credit card size, which is what I showed him.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lagoo
Was he asking for your NIE and padrón because you'd said you're a resident and therefore shouldn't have your passport stamped? If not, why was he asking for those documents?

On Wednesday I flew into Santander airport and needed my vaccination certificate, a health control form (FCS), my green residency card and of course my passport. Did you have all these?
Yes!
Old Sep 21st 2021, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I think you need to get the terminology correct or else everyone gets confused. I doubt the officer ask for your NIE if he meant you to give a document- your NIE is a number for financial identification. He most likely meant your green card/TIE . You showed your document ( paper or green card) he meant that you need a new TIE as NIE is a permanent number. Sounds like there were language issues ( either with your Spanish or his English)
No language issues.
Also, as I understand it, one doesn't (yet) have to apply for a TIE. I suspect that in the future, it may be made compulsory.
By coincidence though, I applied for a TIE in August and have to go to Policia on Thursday to collect it. I can foresee that it'll save a lot of bother!
Old Sep 21st 2021, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

So did you get refused entry then. Never heard of an out of date NIE before.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly sounds odd documents to see at a port border entry. The TIE should prove your right to enter without passport stamp it has your NIE number on it. Did you show your TIE or Green Residencia card?
Old Sep 21st 2021, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

No language issues.
Also, as I understand it, one doesn't (yet) have to apply for a TIE. I suspect that in the future, it may be made compulsory.
By coincidence though, I applied for a TIE in August and have to go to Policia on Thursday to collect it. I can foresee that it'll save a lot of bother!
Sorry I had missed this comment when I posted my last reply. I am presuming that when you applied to exchange your green residencia they took it off you? That's what happened to me but I know others that kept theirs until they collected the TIE. They should have given you a certificate of application for TIE which replaces the old residencia until you collect the TIE. There was a period a few years ago when they stamped the NIE sheet with an issue and expiry date I seem to remember it being 3 months? Before that it was the old A4 sheet with no expiry date as the number is for life. They then did away with the 3 month date because it was pointless as number is for life. Maybe you have one of the NIE sheets with an expiry date showing?
Old Sep 21st 2021, 10:43 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be because I had my A4 size NIE copied into a credit card size, which is what I showed him.
I am so confused as I'm sure are others.

Your NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) is just a number. The certificate is an A4 white sheet.

Do you mean the green certificate? If so, this is NOT an NIE but proof that you have signed on the foreigners list.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stingychips
So did you get refused entry then. Never heard of an out of date NIE before.
Nor have I. In the end, he waived us on!
Old Sep 21st 2021, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobd22
Certainly sounds odd documents to see at a port border entry. The TIE should prove your right to enter without passport stamp it has your NIE number on it. Did you show your TIE or Green Residencia card?
I haven't got the TIE yet. Going Thursday to collect it.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I haven't got the TIE yet. Going Thursday to collect it.
Yes sorry I saw your comment re collecting the TIE after I had posted. That may be where the confusion came in? At least they waved you through which must have been a relief.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Going in and out of the Schengen area via the Eurotunnel recently I was asked each way by the French passport control where I lived. On being told I live in Spain they asked for my residence card. I showed him my TIE and all was fine. No stamp on my passport either way.

Last edited by rafikiphoto; Sep 21st 2021 at 4:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.