Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Entitled to UK Benefits?

Entitled to UK Benefits?

Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entitled to UK Benefits?

I am sure no one would condone the UK benefits scams that some Expats work whilst enjoying living in Spain. However, there are a lot of UK benefits which are genuinely available to Expats living in Spain, obviously depending upon your personal circumstances.

I was amazed the other day when some Expat friends told me that had applied for and received a backdated UK benefit allowance after being advised by a neighbour holidaying in Spain who works for the UK DWP.

So if you are entitled to it why not claim it? Especially given the low value of the pound has left many short of funds.

I am not an expert but maybe this link can help some:

Benefits Calculator - Use Age UK's Online Benefits Calculator now | Age UK

or inquire direct to the appropriate UK Government office or web site
Old Sep 14th 2016, 5:43 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entitled to UK Benefits?

... but you have to be living in the UK (UK resident) for the calculator to work so that sort of suggests that one can NOT claim benefits from Spain.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I am sure no one would condone the UK benefits scams that some Expats work whilst enjoying living in Spain. However, there are a lot of UK benefits which are genuinely available to Expats living in Spain, obviously depending upon your personal circumstances.

I was amazed the other day when some Expat friends told me that had applied for and received a backdated UK benefit allowance after being advised by a neighbour holidaying in Spain who works for the UK DWP.

So if you are entitled to it why not claim it? Especially given the low value of the pound has left many short of funds.

All EEA countries have arrangements with the UK but many of the benefits aren't available. Example, winter fuel payments not available.

You can claim a Winter Fuel Payment if you:You don’t need to have claimed in the UK before you go. But you must have a ‘genuine link with the UK social security system’ to claim, eg you’ve lived or worked in the UK.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:00 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

DLA, disablility living allowance, is certainly payable in Spain if you had beern receiving it in the UK, it wasn't when we moved over, but the EU courts told the UK they had to make it an exportable benefit, so my wife received a very nice lump sum in back allowances.

Last edited by mikelincs; Sep 14th 2016 at 9:24 am.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Bo S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
DLA, disablility living allowance, is certainly payable in Spain if you had beern receiving it in the UK, it wasn't when we moved over, but the EU courts told the UK they had to malke it an exportable benefit, so my wife received a very nice lump sum in back allowances.
Could soon be back off the list after Brexit.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 9:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo S
Could soon be back off the list after Brexit.
BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE EU !!!!!!!!!!!
so everything is still theoretical
Old Sep 14th 2016, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Currently there are no changes to entitlements post Brexit -

Quoting from https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/overview

'You may still be able to claim some benefits if you travel or move abroad, or if you’re already living abroad. What you’re entitled to depends on where you’re going and how long for.'

and from here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...nals-in-the-uk

'There has been no change to the rights and status of EU nationals* in the UK, and UK nationals in the EU, as a result of the referendum.'
Old Sep 14th 2016, 9:28 am
Concierge

Currently there are no changes to entitlements post Brexit -

Quoting from https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/overview

'You may still be able to claim some benefits if you travel or move abroad, or if you’re already living abroad. What you’re entitled to depends on where you’re going and how long for.'

and from here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...nals-in-the-uk

'There has been no change to the rights and status of EU nationals* in the UK, and UK nationals in the EU, as a result of the referendum.'
That's because we still haven't left the EU, I really wish people would wait till the negotiations have ended before pontificating about what we can and will have, it's such a futile thing to be doing.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Bo S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That's because we still haven't left the EU, I really wish people would wait till the negotiations have ended before pontificating about what we can and will have, it's such a futile thing to be doing.
Its appropriate to alert forum members to our thoughts. They may not be aware to the bigger picture on Brexit. Its only through BE that I am.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 11:22 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bo S
Its appropriate to alert forum members to our thoughts. They may not be aware to the bigger picture on Brexit. Its only through BE that I am.
All you know is the individual thoughts of people on these forums, no-one, not even the politicians running the UK know what will happen, particularly as they haven't even started negotiations, and, of course, we do not know what the other members of the EU will insist on, allow etc. so i's all pie in the sky guesswork and speculation from people who really know only what the various papers etc say, and there information in solely guess work itself.
You have no extra awareness of Brexit, because it hasn't been triggered, no-one has started any discussions, all you are getting is the rambling thoughts of people on BE, many of whom have fairly extreme views. In two years we MIGHT know a little more, but certainly not some of the inane ideas being floated here.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

BigD Nerja is an unknown quantity at this point

In defence of BOS he did say 'Could' be off the list not 'Would' and this is an Internet forum where people exchange views.

My opinion FWIW is that access to benefits for expats has been restricted as much as possible by the Government whilst adhering to EU regulations so I suspect when we leave they will restrict them as much as possible. I can't see that this issue will feature in any negotiations as it will not affect other countries, it will simply be a policy decision by the current UK Government.

Last edited by BigD Nerja; Sep 14th 2016 at 11:49 am.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigD Nerja
In defence of BOS he did say 'Could' be off the list not 'Would' and this is an Internet forum where people exchange views.

My opinion FWIW is that access to benefits for expats has been restricted as much as possible by the Government whilst adhering to EU regulations so I suspect when we leave they will restrict them as much as possible. I can't see that this issue will feature in any negotiations as it will not affect other countries, it will simply be a policy decision by the current UK Government.
Exactly and one of the reasons why the UK wanted to leave, was to no longer pay for benefits.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Exactly and one of the reasons why the UK wanted to leave, was to no longer pay for benefits.
To who? Main reason seemed to me that they were against paying benefits etc to immigrants not expats. However only interest that most in the uk have for expats is when they can visit for their next freebie holiday,so yes if they remove perks from expats those in the uk will shed no tears for you. I think Mikelincs is spot on everyone has to wait and see, speculation just stirs up fear.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

BigD Nerja is an unknown quantity at this point

Bob I think an open conversation helps people make informed decisions, not sure about 'fear'.
Regarding the entitlement to benefits Mike is correct nothing has changed but again as he said initially the British government refused to pay his wife disability benefit until the EU ruled they had to. It therefore seems likely that following our withdrawal from the EU access to these benefits will be restricted or stopped. I may be wrong obviously but plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Last edited by BigD Nerja; Sep 14th 2016 at 2:27 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bobd22
To who? Main reason seemed to me that they were against paying benefits etc to immigrants not expats. However only interest that most in the uk have for expats is when they can visit for their next freebie holiday,so yes if they remove perks from expats those in the uk will shed no tears for you. I think Mikelincs is spot on everyone has to wait and see, speculation just stirs up fear.

Doesn't matter who really and what you call them (Expats, immigrants, etc.). Fact is that the leave voters weren't happy paying benefits to foreigners in the UK because of EU laws, so why would they want to pay benefits to people living outside the UK, even if they are so called true British?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.