Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Entering Spain through Madrid

Entering Spain through Madrid

Old Aug 2nd 2022, 2:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entering Spain through Madrid

So I'm flying into Madrid next month from Heathrow with BA/Iberia. Assuming the plans work (as I'm actually flying all the way through from Brisbane) then I'm due to land in Madrid at 12.45. I'm then catching the high speed train up to Santiago de Compostela. The one I'm looking departs from Madrid Chamartin at 14.30, next one leaves at 16.00.
Looks like I need to get across Madrid to Chamartin, after clearing Immigration etc. Travelling on A UK passport (though I'd use the hated Aus one if it got me through faster!).

Anyone familiar with international arrivals at Madrid? How easy is in to get through Immigration and baggage claim, and is a local train the best way to get across the city? Am I being realistic to try and make the 14.30? I'm not a Spanish speaker, by the way, so I'm anticipating needing some good sign language!

All help gratefully received!
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Spain through Madrid

If I were you, for maximum speed between Barajas airport & Chamartin, I'd take a taxi. Anything else leaves it tight.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

You are aware of all the entry requirements that are now being imposed on holders of UK passports now that the UK is a Third Country? If staying more than 90 days you will need a Visa and proof of income/where you are staying etc.I am sure that you have done research but since Brexit a UK passport gives you no advantage what so ever and coming from "Down Under" a lot of the Brexit furore may have passed you by.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 10:55 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
You are aware of all the entry requirements that are now being imposed on holders of UK passports now that the UK is a Third Country? If staying more than 90 days you will need a Visa and proof of income/where you are staying etc.I am sure that you have done research but since Brexit a UK passport gives you no advantage what so ever and coming from "Down Under" a lot of the Brexit furore may have passed you by.
I'm only there for 10 days, have plenty of finance, and as I am only in Australia for work reasons, I'm well up on the rule changes, visas etc, but thanks Staying with a friend and have plenty of proof of it and of my onward travel.
I've also got the link for the Spanish entry form for all the covid stuff
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 10:56 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
If I were you, for maximum speed between Barajas airport & Chamartin, I'd take a taxi. Anything else leaves it tight.
Thats great, thanks!
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, to allow for the possibility of the flight not arriving in Madrid on time, I would plan to get the 16.00 which would give time for lunch in Madrid - just makes the journey less stressful.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So I'm flying into Madrid next month from Heathrow with BA/Iberia. Assuming the plans work (as I'm actually flying all the way through from Brisbane) then I'm due to land in Madrid at 12.45. I'm then catching the high speed train up to Santiago de Compostela. The one I'm looking departs from Madrid Chamartin at 14.30, next one leaves at 16.00.
Looks like I need to get across Madrid to Chamartin, after clearing Immigration etc. Travelling on A UK passport (though I'd use the hated Aus one if it got me through faster!).

Anyone familiar with international arrivals at Madrid? How easy is in to get through Immigration and baggage claim, and is a local train the best way to get across the city? Am I being realistic to try and make the 14.30? I'm not a Spanish speaker, by the way, so I'm anticipating needing some good sign language!

All help gratefully received!
Relax and take the 16.00 hrs train. Even if your flight on time remember that is landing time not disembarking time so you would be cutting it very, very fine - if you have hold baggage virtually impossible. Taxi definitely most comfortabel option although there are shuttle buses and metro but you may find that confusing if you don't speak the language.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 4:26 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Lynn R
If it were me, to allow for the possibility of the flight not arriving in Madrid on time, I would plan to get the 16.00 which would give time for lunch in Madrid - just makes the journey less stressful.
Could be a plan!

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Relax and take the 16.00 hrs train. Even if your flight on time remember that is landing time not disembarking time so you would be cutting it very, very fine - if you have hold baggage virtually impossible. Taxi definitely most comfortabel option although there are shuttle buses and metro but you may find that confusing if you don't speak the language.
Thats what I was worried about, not been to Madrid before so I have no idea about how to navigate through the airport, and I will have hold baggage to reclaim. I did see there was a local train, which would be easier than buses with the language issue, but I reckon you guys are right, go for a taxi and the later onward train. I'll have been awake so long by then another 90 minutes won't make a difference
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Exit and Baggage reclaim all clearly sign-posted . Key word "Salidas" - exit. Look for Taxi sign / picture. Official taxi range if I remember correctly is actually once you are outside near Arrivals - only go with white official taxis they will have a meter. You are going to "estaciĆ³n de Charmartin" maybe easier RENFE Charmartin.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 6:55 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Exit and Baggage reclaim all clearly sign-posted . Key word "Salidas" - exit. Look for Taxi sign / picture. Official taxi range if I remember correctly is actually once you are outside near Arrivals - only go with white official taxis they will have a meter. You are going to "estaciĆ³n de Charmartin" maybe easier RENFE Charmartin.
That's brilliant info, many thanks!
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad you have got a handle on things entry wise and that you have got help on here.
Perhaps you could do a bit of feedback on how it went any problems/ no problems and any tips from your experience as this will help others
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 2:49 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
I am glad you have got a handle on things entry wise and that you have got help on here.
Perhaps you could do a bit of feedback on how it went any problems/ no problems and any tips from your experience as this will help others
Yep, I will, I know how valuable that can be to the next person! One f the things I love about BE is that it gets world-wide help for its members, not just the one country!
I've also read the other recent thread about how the media have jumped on the Spanish authorities asking for various bits of info on entry - although the rules aren't new, its a timely reminder to make sure I have all my ducks in a row, just in case!!
Old Aug 7th 2022, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

As a general point we transited Madrid today and immigration for non EU passports was extremely swift and efficient, we were straight through in 2 minutes, lots of booths open with many empty. The airport in general was pretty busy but all running smoothly.
Old Aug 8th 2022, 10:04 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by UKMS
As a general point we transited Madrid today and immigration for non EU passports was extremely swift and efficient, we were straight through in 2 minutes, lots of booths open with many empty. The airport in general was pretty busy but all running smoothly.
Lets hope I'm that lucky!
Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2022, 2:09 am
Home and Happy

Me again
Read in passing on an unrelated forum today that all luggage has to be emptied, inspected and security cleared before boarding long-distance trains on Spain.
Can anyone give me the real story as I'm sure emptying it is a step too far - though I have had to do that many times when flying through Dubai.
Struggling with 2 cases, a smallish rucksack and a walking stick, plus having issues with arthritic risks, packing/unpacking is a nightmare, and all the bags will be padlocked etc having come from Aus, so if I need to be able to open them I'd like to know in advance!
Cheers people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.