Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

English style food bar in Madrid

English style food bar in Madrid

Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:47 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default English style food bar in Madrid

Just (accidently) come across a new English styled food bar in Madrid. It's called "The Drunken Duck" and is on calle de las infantas in the Chueca area of Madrid. We stumbled upon it 2 nights ago to find it had just opened that night. Was very busy and all the staff spoke good English. Can't remember the number of the street but it's between Hortaleza and the plaza with the parking. I'll give it a review when we pop in again to see what the food's like.

I googled the bar and came across more Drunken Duck bars, are these all the same company?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English style food bar in Madrid

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Just (accidently) come across a new English styled food bar in Madrid. It's called "The Drunken Duck" and is on calle de las infantas in the Chueca area of Madrid. We stumbled upon it 2 nights ago to find it had just opened that night. Was very busy and all the staff spoke good English. Can't remember the number of the street but it's between Hortaleza and the plaza with the parking. I'll give it a review when we pop in again to see what the food's like.

I googled the bar and came across more Drunken Duck bars, are these all the same company?
There is a Ruptured Duck in Arroyo de le Miel, excellent Sunday roast although haven`t been there lately.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:46 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

There already seems to be an establishment in Madrid called the Drunken Duck, in the Moncloa zone

http://madrid.salir.com/drunken_duck_almansa_75

If it's in the same chain I'm not sure it's trying to sell English style food - according to the comments it serves home cooking (comida casera)
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:59 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
There already seems to be an establishment in Madrid called the Drunken Duck, in the Moncloa zone

http://madrid.salir.com/drunken_duck_almansa_75

If it's in the same chain I'm not sure it's trying to sell English style food - according to the comments it serves home cooking (comida casera)
No, the food isn't English but it's putting across an English image with the decoration (maybe I should have written English style bar with food lol). Was a very nice place though and the atmosphere was great, may pop in tonight or tomorrow to try the food.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:10 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

There is a Drowsy Duck in Coruna, near the front, run by an English guy from London,
They served English food at one time, but not too sure now if they still do.

What is it with DUCKS in Spain, considering the most popular name for a bar in the UK is Red Lion.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

There used to be a great Bar in Benidorm called The Pato Loco, it has been shut down for some years, I loved going in there.

Its a childs nursey now.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone's looking for a really good vegetarian restaurant in Madrid I recommend Isla de tesoro. I can't remember exactly where it is. I think it's close to Bilbao Metro station. It gets very busy so it's best to book a day ahead. If you want to walk in you should go as they open.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

yes I've been to the above veggie & loved it.

Walk down Fuencaral & its at the bottom, the bar next door is really cool too for a pre meal beer.

You do have to book a day or so ahead but well worth searching out.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tip about the veggie restaurant - we are planning another trip to Madrid, combined with another location still to be decided (Avila, Toledo or Segovia) in late September, so will definitely put this on our list. We have always found Madrid good for vegetarians, if only for the number of international options there are.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Thanks for the tip about the veggie restaurant - we are planning another trip to Madrid, combined with another location still to be decided (Avila, Toledo or Segovia) in late September, so will definitely put this on our list. We have always found Madrid good for vegetarians, if only for the number of international options there are.
Try a meal called 'tan tan de seitan'. But everything they do is good. One word of warning. They give you an appetiser that's very filling! We often ask for starter and main but find it's too much. Especially when they then have the violet flavour ice cream on. Parma violets. There's a taste from childhood!
Have you ever made seitan yourself Lynn? Recently OH made a seitan Chorizo!
Then he's been making flakey pastry pasties with it and some curry spices mushrooms and chard etc with a balsamic vinegar/tomato/chilli dip! I think going to Isla del Tesoro made him adventurous!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Seitan, no, that's a new one on me, I will have to Google it and find out all about it.

The pasties sound delicious, just the sort of thing my OH would enjoy. I will have to drop a few hints about him making some.

Oooh, parma violets, I love them. My favourite scented candle is a parma violet one I brought from the UK and use sparingly to make it last as long as possible.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I also have a parma violet candle which I'm trying to make last as long as possible. As for the restaurant, parma violet ice-cream alone would make it worth the trip. Yum!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rachelk
I also have a parma violet candle which I'm trying to make last as long as possible. As for the restaurant, parma violet ice-cream alone would make it worth the trip. Yum!
Better warn you that it's a special and not on the menu every night!
But it's worth going for the appetiser alone. Who would have known chick peas could taste so good! I've got a new respect for the now.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

No, the food isn't English but it's putting across an English image with the decoration (maybe I should have written English style bar with food lol). Was a very nice place though and the atmosphere was great, may pop in tonight or tomorrow to try the food.
Do they have a punch up at the end of the night with police and ambulances presant ?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:09 pm
Yaaarp

Originally Posted by Rotor
Do they have a punch up at the end of the night with police and ambulances presant ?