Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

English Plated car

English Plated car

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:58 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Plated car

Originally Posted by trentino
I have an english mot and english tax up to date. I am not illegal.
YES you are. How many people will it take to convince you?

Who has told you that you are legal?

A friend of mine is in the Guardia Civil and he has confirmed to me that you are ILLEGAL (from info seen on this site)!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trentino
I have an english mot and english tax up to date. I am not illegal.
If you do not reside in the UK you are driving in Spain illegally.
Also have a look here and download the form.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

An old issue. My situation is as follows.

My car is UK registered on private plates at a UK address (I am not normally resident in the Uk as I live in Kazakhstan for most of the year -work).

The car stays in Spain most of the time but Uk insurers will only cover it for 90 days on continental Europe. Therefore it is insured in Spain as the insurance policies there cover all the EU all year including the UK. The car is taxed (UK) and is therefore fully legal.

The downside is that the insurance in Spain is about 3 x that of the UK (2020 Euros on a new Mustang GT ).

If quizzed by the Guardia (I have been stopped once) I am a UK citizen visiting my villa in Spain. Papers are kept in the car for scrutiny.

The only legal requirement apart from tax and insurance is that the car physically leaves spain once every 6 months. Simple drive to the France and buy some wine.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:03 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mykap,

Sorry your wrong, your car should return to its country of origen every six months. People living near me can not drive into & out of Gibraltar for the same purpose.

Davexf
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:05 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mykap
An old issue. My situation is as follows.

My car is UK registered on private plates at a UK address (I am not normally resident in the Uk as I live in Kazakhstan for most of the year -work).

The car stays in Spain most of the time but Uk insurers will only cover it for 90 days on continental Europe. Therefore it is insured in Spain as the insurance policies there cover all the EU all year including the UK. The car is taxed (UK) and is therefore fully legal.

The downside is that the insurance in Spain is about 3 x that of the UK (2020 Euros on a new Mustang GT ).

If quizzed by the Guardia (I have been stopped once) I am a UK citizen visiting my villa in Spain. Papers are kept in the car for scrutiny.

The only legal requirement apart from tax and insurance is that the car physically leaves spain once every 6 months. Simple drive to the France and buy some wine.
You may also find that Spanish insurance is not legal on a UK car in the UK, and the car has to be legal in the country of origin to be driven in other parts of Europe.
Also your friendly Guardia man may like to see your ferry/tunnel ticket to see date of entry to Spain.
Crushing happens in Spain too. ;-))

Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Mykap,

Sorry your wrong, your car should return to its country of origen every six months. People living near me can not drive into & out of Gibraltar for the same purpose.

Davexf
Ok fair enough I bow to your greater knowledge. Still not a problem just a longer drive
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

davidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the rough

Ok fair enough I bow to your greater knowledge. Still not a problem just a longer drive
There are lots of people who drive rusty old bangors in Ayamonte with UK Plates... One bloke even has his own property management company and is sign written.. still drives his english car..... not a care in the world! What happens if he has a crash ! God hope he doesnt have an accident but what happens if he does as he can't be insured.. No wonder the english get a bad rep!!!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:57 pm
Banned

johnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the rough

very good advice.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

There are lots of people who drive rusty old bangors in Ayamonte with UK Plates

Where I live in Benalmadena there are 3 of these b*****s who live on my complex and I have threatened each one of them that if they hit my car on the car park there will be hell to pay, as well as the cost of repairs.
My OH keeps threatening to report them to the police but they will know who did it and we have to live with them.
One Brit is driving on German plates and a Belgian on UK plates, it really makes my blood boil but I do fear they will do more than damage to a car with these old nails.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
You may also find that Spanish insurance is not legal on a UK car in the UK, and the car has to be legal in the country of origin to be driven in other parts of Europe.
Also your friendly Guardia man may like to see your ferry/tunnel ticket to see date of entry to Spain.
Crushing happens in Spain too. ;-))

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lHS951iYvV4
Insurance policy clearly states policy is valid in all EU states. Last I heard UK was still in europe...

I would not drive a car without insurance. Period.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance policy clearly states policy is valid in all EU states. Last I heard UK was still in europe...

I would not drive a car without insurance. Period.
My Spanish insurance (on a Spanish car) covers me in all EU states for an unlimited amount of time.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:49 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davidpayne
There are lots of people who drive rusty old bangors in Ayamonte with UK Plates... One bloke even has his own property management company and is sign written.. still drives his english car..... not a care in the world! What happens if he has a crash ! God hope he doesnt have an accident but what happens if he does as he can't be insured.. No wonder the english get a bad rep!!!!!!

That Property management guy should be very carefull, it´s also illegal to use a foreign plated car for commercial purposes. If the competion tips of the authorities he´s in a whole lot of trouble.....
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Fred James
My Spanish insurance (on a Spanish car) covers me in all EU states for an unlimited amount of time.
Yeah but you are resident in Spain with a Spanish car, he is resident in UK with a UK car with Spanish insurance, slightly different procedure.
The car has to be road legal in the country of origin, is Spanish insurance legal for a non resident on a foreign car ?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Jur
That Property management guy should be very carefull, it´s also illegal to use a foreign plated car for commercial purposes. If the competion tips of the authorities he´s in a whole lot of trouble.....
Didn`t one get burnt out a few months ago there ?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:00 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Yeah but you are resident in Spain with a Spanish car, he is resident in UK with a UK car with Spanish insurance, slightly different procedure.
The car has to be road legal in the country of origin, is Spanish insurance legal for a non resident on a foreign car ?
An insurance policy is a legal contract between the company and the policyholder.

Spanish Insurance companies issue policies with total EU cover. Unless the policy specifically states that the cover is different for non Spanish registered cars or non Spanish residents then you are covered.

On my policy the only "personal" requirement is that drivers hold a valid driving licence.

If a Spanish Insurance company chooses to insure a UK reg car with a non resident driver and do not place any restrictions, then that's down to them and is legally binding.

That is why it is perfectly possible for them to insure an "illegal" car.

For example I specifically asked my company (Linea Directa) whether having a valid ITV was a condition of the policy. Their answer was that it was not a condition and I would be fully covered in the event that I did not renew my ITV on time. Their only comment was that the additional insurance cover for contesting motoring fines would not apply if I was fined for not having an ITV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.