Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

English Coach Driver - Work In Spain?

English Coach Driver - Work In Spain?

Old Apr 10th 2005, 11:08 am
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Coach Driver - Work In Spain?

My husband is a coach driver here and we wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to get a job in Costa Blanca doing that?

I have never seen an english coach driver in Spain doing airport runs or excusions, only driving english coaches out there for holidays but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

I cannot work as a mortgage adviser there as I don't speak much spanish (I will be learning, but don't anticipate speaking well enough to speak to clients, banks etc.) and know that cleaning, airport runs, bar work etc etc are all covered already so it's down to my husband doing either that or his other trade of painting and decorating, carpentry and electrical etc. to bring in some extra pin money.

Any advice?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Robert@Eurosettlers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English Coach Driver - Work In Spain?

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
My husband is a coach driver here and we wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to get a job in Costa Blanca doing that?

I have never seen an english coach driver in Spain doing airport runs or excusions, only driving english coaches out there for holidays but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

I cannot work as a mortgage adviser there as I don't speak much spanish (I will be learning, but don't anticipate speaking well enough to speak to clients, banks etc.) and know that cleaning, airport runs, bar work etc etc are all covered already so it's down to my husband doing either that or his other trade of painting and decorating, carpentry and electrical etc. to bring in some extra pin money.

Any advice?

Hello Gill

If your husband wants to work on the buses in Spain he will have to learn to speak Spanish. You can imagine how well a Spanish only speaking driver would get on driving a bus in the UK!

Don't discount the airport runs, key holders, etc. though. There is plenty of demand for them.

Have you committed to moving, and if so where?

Robert
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:15 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Originally Posted by Robert@Eurosettlers
Hello Gill

If your husband wants to work on the buses in Spain he will have to learn to speak Spanish. You can imagine how well a Spanish only speaking driver would get on driving a bus in the UK!

Don't discount the airport runs, key holders, etc. though. There is plenty of demand for them.

Have you committed to moving, and if so where?

Robert
We have bought a place near to Guadarmar in Costa Blanca. He doesn't want to work "on the buses". He works for his family firm driving 49 seater coaches on day trips and trips abroad so would be looking only at excusions, airports etc. so presumably there would usually be a rep or a courier on board so his hallo, thank you, goodbye etc should hopefully be enough. He would be quite happy doing airport runs, but as I said I have never seen an english person doing that in any country in the world. I think it's a bit of a closed shop.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Robert@Eurosettlers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
We have bought a place near to Guadarmar in Costa Blanca. He doesn't want to work "on the buses". He works for his family firm driving 49 seater coaches on day trips and trips abroad so would be looking only at excusions, airports etc. so presumably there would usually be a rep or a courier on board so his hallo, thank you, goodbye etc should hopefully be enough. He would be quite happy doing airport runs, but as I said I have never seen an english person doing that in any country in the world. I think it's a bit of a closed shop.
We might both have different definitions for 'airport runs'?

We have a friend and a client who both make money by doing airport runs. To start with they got themselves a car/mpv capable of taking people and their luggage. They then let their respective neighbourhoods know that they were available to take and collect people to and from the airport who were staying/living locally. Lots of people rent out their properties and the people renting, etc. often need transport to and from the airport as they have no wish to drive. They fill this need and the people who use them like the service as they know that they come recommended, they speak English, they won't overcharge, etc. It seems to work well as they are always busy.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:20 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Originally Posted by Robert@Eurosettlers
We might both have different definitions for 'airport runs'?

We have a friend and a client who both make money by doing airport runs. To start with they got themselves a car/mpv capable of taking people and their luggage. They then let their respective neighbourhoods know that they were available to take and collect people to and from the airport who were staying/living locally. Lots of people rent out their properties and the people renting, etc. often need transport to and from the airport as they have no wish to drive. They fill this need and the people who use them like the service as they know that they come recommended, they speak English, they won't overcharge, etc. It seems to work well as they are always busy.
Yes I know what you mean by airport runs. I also meant holidaymakers up for people like Thomsons, Airtours etc etc.

Although there are going to be three small developments where we are going to live (we will be about 9kms from the Guardarmar) and there is nothing else nearby until the next town about 1.5 kms away, by the time we get out there permanently I am sure that someone will have already cornered the market in cleaning for rentals and doing the airport runs although I know a lot of people tend to hire cars to be able to get around. We certainly do. We will certainly check on that when we get out there We just need the odd job to make up our investment and pension money to make sure we have enough to not have to worry.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

dougie V is an unknown quantity at this point

best advise is to see what tour operators operate from alicante, then go to there website and see if u can get contact details for employment based on what u want...
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

dougie V is an unknown quantity at this point

lorca (murcia) airport is set to be up and running in the next year or 2, see if u can get some info on that 2
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

kathml is an unknown quantity at this point

Could I point out that a private car with normal insurance is not covered for use as a hire car for airport runs
If there was a serious accident you would have no insurance cover & would be in big big trouble
Also local taxi drivers are very anti this & may shop you to the authorities
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:45 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kathml
Could I point out that a private car with normal insurance is not covered for use as a hire car for airport runs
If there was a serious accident you would have no insurance cover & would be in big big trouble
Also local taxi drivers are very anti this & may shop you to the authorities
I will go along with that, except that they dont shop them they just give them a kicking and the next time wreck the car.
Also every car that goes into Malaga airport is photographed