Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

England to Canada to Spain?

England to Canada to Spain?

Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of
Default England to Canada to Spain?

Hello!
We retired (early) from England to Coquitlam nearly ten years ago and got our Canadian citizenship a few years ago.

We have given it our best shot but just can't get used to the weather which is very wet. This year spring didn't arrive at all and now in July, it is still very rainy and so dull. Also missing the usual things mentioned on here, lack of sense of humour, nightlife, good old British chat and friendliness!

So...we are thinking seriously of moving to Spain, probably somewhere in the Valencia area.

The question is, would it be better to go back home, regain our permanent residency, get a GP, police clearance etc. and start the process of researching a Spanish home from there, or should we go from here in Canada and rent in Spain? I tend to think it might be difficult getting our medical info. and police clearances, tax stuff from the Canadian end if you know what I mean?

Feeling a bit confused at present!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:18 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England to Canada to Spain?

I tend to think it might be difficult getting our medical info. and police clearances, tax stuff from the Canadian end if you know what I mean?
You might be better asking for advice on Canada forum
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Hello!
We retired (early) from England to Coquitlam nearly ten years ago and got our Canadian citizenship a few years ago.

We have given it our best shot but just can't get used to the weather which is very wet. This year spring didn't arrive at all and now in July, it is still very rainy and so dull. Also missing the usual things mentioned on here, lack of sense of humour, nightlife, good old British chat and friendliness!

So...we are thinking seriously of moving to Spain, probably somewhere in the Valencia area.

The question is, would it be better to go back home, regain our permanent residency, get a GP, police clearance etc. and start the process of researching a Spanish home from there, or should we go from here in Canada and rent in Spain? I tend to think it might be difficult getting our medical info. and police clearances, tax stuff from the Canadian end if you know what I mean?

You certainly do NOT need police clearance as long as you are UK citizens, just think of the huge numbers of crime lords that moved to Spain form the UK.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by missile
You might be better asking for advice on Canada forum
I'll see if the boss moves it then...thanks
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Couple of things:
Early retirees, not pensioners?
Not looking to make an income in Spain?
Do you hold a UK passport ( as you are Canadian citizens)
I'm not sure if a HRT (habitual residency test) would apply in this case you would need to check with the British consulate as to the ins and outs of repatriation or if that even applies.
Given the outcome of that may make your decision more clearer at this point in time before any other advice.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Couple of things:
Early retirees, not pensioners?
Not looking to make an income in Spain?
Do you hold a UK passport ( as you are Canadian citizens)
I'm not sure if a HRT (habitual residency test) would apply in this case you would need to check with the British consulate as to the ins and outs of repatriation or if that even applies.
Given the outcome of that may make your decision more clearer at this point in time before any other advice.
Thanks for the reply...Yes we are now over 65 so the health aspect is covered with the right documents.

We both get our pensions paid into a UK bank (costs a lot to get it out every month, but I guess that's the same for all expats).

No we will not work in Spain.

Yes we do have British passports.

From what I've gleaned, we would need to have proof that we are in the throes of buying, or have bought a property in Spain if we go straight there. Plus all the usual tax docs and health records.

PS We COULD have been involved in all sorts of crime since arriving here in Canada so the police clearance is needed I've been told.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply...Yes we are now over 65 so the health aspect is covered with the right documents.

We both get our pensions paid into a UK bank (costs a lot to get it out every month, but I guess that's the same for all expats).

From what I've gleaned, we would need to have proof that we are in the throes of buying, or have bought a property in Spain if we go straight there. Plus all the usual tax docs and health records.

PS We COULD have been involved in all sorts of crime since arriving here in Canada so the police clearance is needed I've been told.
I THINK that as you are still officially british & getting the UK pension you can just pitch up here in Spain the same as any other british pensioner - no need to be buying, police clearance or anything
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

I had to chuckle when I read this. They miss the "good old British chat and friendliness" and therefore want to move to Spain!

- Eric S.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eric S
I had to chuckle when I read this. They miss the "good old British chat and friendliness" and therefore want to move to Spain!

- Eric S.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

I'm in the same position. I moved from UK to Richmond BC thinking that it would be warmer in BC but I don't like the wet weather there & the BC's weather is not far out from UK's weather.

So I'm now in Spain which Is OK if you're prepared for the cold winter for about 5 mths as the house in Spain is not insulated. I'm so used to the radiant heating with warm floors in BC but hopefully I'm prepared for the winter here this year.

If you like growing fruits & vegs, here is definitely better. I prefer Spain but rent the area first to see if you like it & then buy. Properties are a lot cheaper but also a lot smaller than BC.

Luckily though I'm a Canadian citizen I hold a British passport & is a UK pensioner. It is easier to mover over here as a British citizen even with shipping of your household contents over.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:24 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S

- Eric S.
must be talking about this forum

Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

If you move to Spain, then get the pensions people to pay your pensions direct into your Spanish account, costs nothing. UK citizens need NO police clearance to move to Spain as you are citizens of the EU.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Then no need to go to UK first just come straight to Spain.
All the best.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
must be talking about this forum

Thanks.....Get it! After reading a bit more here anyway.....
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Then no need to go to UK first just come straight to Spain.
All the best.
Thanks for that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.