Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

employment contract: is this right?

employment contract: is this right?

Old Sep 19th 2015, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute
Default employment contract: is this right?

I know a young couple who want to relocate to Spain. She was offered a temporary contract and was told that this is the equivalent of the probation period here in the UK. If it goes ok, she was told, then she will get a permanent contract. She was told that apparently this is according to the employment law in Spain.
Is this right?
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

andypmg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: employment contract: is this right?

Originally Posted by minouette
I know a young couple who want to relocate to Spain. She was offered a temporary contract and was told that this is the equivalent of the probation period here in the UK. If it goes ok, she was told, then she will get a permanent contract. She was told that apparently this is according to the employment law in Spain.
Is this right?
What duration of probationary period?

There is a link here to Spanish employment law but as ever good personal knowledge from forum members is always good.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

It was the law that you could be given temporary contracts (I think a max of two or three) for a total period of something less than two years before the company had to make you permanent (even if they didn't, you'd be considered permanent by default)

However under the PP's reforma laboral the period for which you can be kept on temporary contracts was extended and since I left Spain at around about the same time I haven't kept up with things since then.

However, it's almost certainly the case that it IS legal to give your friend a temporary contract at first and the schools (british schools) I worked in in Spain all did this.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your replies!
So, these temporary contracts can cover quite long periods, not just a few months, if I understand correctly.
Will they be able to get residence with such an employment contract?
Old Sep 19th 2015, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a problem for residency. You'll be able to register with Social Security (the company will probably do this for you) and for health care. Temporary contracts are very common in Spain.

Good luck!
Old Sep 19th 2015, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Temporary contracts are the norm in Spain and durations vary as you can see by the replies.

Ensure that your new company registers you, pays you social security etc. and it is a legal contract as many companies abuse this system and simply pay you cash in hand and do not pay social security etc.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

andypmg is an unknown quantity at this point

I missed out the link

Spanish labour law: Employment contracts | Working in Spain | Expatica Spain
Old Sep 19th 2015, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much to all of you who helped me!
It's my daughter actually ...