Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to Spain

Emigrating to Spain

Old Mar 23rd 2016, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Lorielill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating to Spain

Hi we are emigrating from Vancouver Island to Spain. We both hold British passports. Looking at a property in cantoria near Albox Almeria.
Does anyone live in that area and know of any water issues as the house says it has a well
Has anyone used Spanish home inspections before purchasing a home and are they trustworthy?
Is there a expat community around that area. My husband lives to watch football in bars and chat to people. We are a very social couple
Old Mar 24th 2016, 1:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to Spain

You posted in the Lab, which is just a spot to ask for technical type questions. I moved this to the Spanish forums where you might get more help.

Welcome to BE!
Old Mar 24th 2016, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Ok Thanks Bob, I am a newbie to this.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:09 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorielill
Hi we are emigrating from Vancouver Island to Spain. We both hold British passports. Looking at a property in cantoria near Albox Almeria.
Does anyone live in that area and know of any water issues as the house says it has a well
Has anyone used Spanish home inspections before purchasing a home and are they trustworthy?
Is there a expat community around that area. My husband lives to watch football in bars and chat to people. We are a very social couple
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 24th 2016, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Have you guys got Canadian citizenship in case you want to come back later?
Old Mar 24th 2016, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gozit
Have you guys got Canadian citizenship in case you want to come back later?
My husband has yes and I am a landed immigrant.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

sadie2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are thinking of moving over the Spain, but not sure what area. I have a 12 year old boy and a 17 year old girl. We are thinkibng of long term rental. How do io find out about schools for my children and universities. Both English and Spanish. Also can anyone give me some idea on how much household bills would be. We were looking at Javea, Denia, torrrox Almeria
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadie2016
Hi we are thinking of moving over the Spain, but not sure what area. I have a 12 year old boy and a 17 year old girl. We are thinkibng of long term rental. How do io find out about schools for my children and universities. Both English and Spanish. Also can anyone give me some idea on how much household bills would be. We were looking at Javea, Denia, torrrox Almeria
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lorielill,

I was just wondering if it would not be best to locate the area first and then the house?

Regards

jonboy
Old Mar 24th 2016, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonboy
Hi Lorielill,

I was just wondering if it would not be best to locate the area first and then the house?

Regards

jonboy
Sounds like a plan Jon. We may look at renting first but don't really know where to begin. Just had an offer on my house with a completion date in June
Old Mar 25th 2016, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

girlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant future

Most advise to rent first then buy when you are really sure of the area, and if Spain is really for you. It is said that you face the danger when buying immediately. you find the neighbors are rowdy or the area is too noisy. This site has both buy or rent and covers a lot of regions.
idealista - Homes for rent and sale. Free listings there are several others, just do a search. Good luck whichever way you go. Personally we are waiting until the result of the Brexit vote in the UK in case we lose our EU status.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorielill
My husband has yes and I am a landed immigrant.
I would naturalise before you go if you are eligible. How long have you had PR? Although if worse comes to worse and you wanted to go back to Canada your husband could do spousal sponsorship for you as he is a citizen.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gozit
I would naturalise before you go if you are eligible. How long have you had PR? Although if worse comes to worse and you wanted to go back to Canada your husband could do spousal sponsorship for you as he is a citizen.
Only just got my landed immigrant status. My husband sponsored me into Canada
Old Mar 26th 2016, 6:33 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by girlingfoss
Most advise to rent first then buy when you are really sure of the area, and if Spain is really for you. It is said that you face the danger when buying immediately. you find the neighbors are rowdy or the area is too noisy. This site has both buy or rent and covers a lot of regions.
idealista - Homes for rent and sale. Free listings there are several others, just do a search. Good luck whichever way you go. Personally we are waiting until the result of the Brexit vote in the UK in case we lose our EU status.
Hmm. You really should (or should've by now) because it will likely be more difficult if/after Britain exits, but existing British residents won't likely be affected in any significant way.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, just joined this site.Sadie 2016,I have lived in Spain 30 odd years,had a business here,Costa Blanca,now retired.Our daughter was 11/12 years old when we came.At first she went to a private school as our elder daughter had done so in UK.Unfortunately picked a bad one & so we sent her to Spanish state school after some Spanish language lessons.This was in Alfaz del Pi.Since that time there are many very good schools,private & state,throughout our region.Alfaz is very multi-cultural but mostly Scandinavian.If you hanker for more British,then Moraira,Javea is for you.Can`t tell you about Torrex or Almeria.I have bought & sold a few houses here as well as my business.My town is excellent,all facilities,buses,trains,coach to the airports,supermarkets,clinics(all nationalities)couldn`t have much better.I live in a small apartment,middle of the town so don`t need expense of a car,small 2 storey block with lovely neighbours where I am the only foreign resident.Expenses are small which is important for me now I am retired.Seen so many changes since we came which was before Spain joined the EU,mostly for the better,I think.Was so pleased at that time,which brought in people coming to work & with young families.My own daughter grew up, operated her own business here,,married a Spanish man & I have a Spanish granddaughter who of course is bi-linqual.It has been a pleasure to watch them all grow up,intermarry as we all mix in sharing activities from all nationalities.Some of these youngsters,at an early age,can speak several languages fluently due to this.I hang my head in shame although I can still grapple with my schoolgirl French when I holiday in Normandy!Would be pleased to give you any info.that helps further,or anyone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.