Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

emigrating to spain

emigrating to spain

Old Mar 19th 2005, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

mrbluesky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default emigrating to spain

me and my wife would like to know what areas offer the best value for housing and bearing in mind we have 2 young children the best schooling.
if i were to buy a business would i be right in steering clear of bars/restaurants etc and what would be the alternative??
Old Mar 20th 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: emigrating to spain

Originally Posted by mrbluesky
me and my wife would like to know what areas offer the best value for housing and bearing in mind we have 2 young children the best schooling.
if i were to buy a business would i be right in steering clear of bars/restaurants etc and what would be the alternative??
Do you speak Spanish? And what work do you do currently. Why buy a business, if it is for sale there must be a good reason for it. Secondly a number of small business are based on reputation and if you don't match or are better than the previous owners the clients will go to the competition anyway, so you are not guaranteeing anything by buying one. Seems you need to do ALOT of homework before you move otherwise you will fail like hundreds of others.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Hi
I live inland and not on the coast, I speak a little Spanish, and have been living here for just over two years. I set up my own massage clinic and with a little help from an English speaking Spanish friend have managed to get all my paperwork sorted out, this did not happen overnight it has taken almost two years. A lot of hard work and a few family rows :scared:
I now think it was all worth it as I treat both Spanish and English clients I am slowly building up my client base using a lot of special offers and a data base ensuring I keep in contact with clients old and new. You have to put a lot of effort into whatever you do out here and if you dont speak Spanish you will come unstuck.

I do hope this has not put you off and I hope you take up the challenge of moving to Spain.
David
Old Mar 20th 2005, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

mrbluesky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Do you speak Spanish? And what work do you do currently. Why buy a business, if it is for sale there must be a good reason for it. Secondly a number of small business are based on reputation and if you don't match or are better than the previous owners the clients will go to the competition anyway, so you are not guaranteeing anything by buying one. Seems you need to do ALOT of homework before you move otherwise you will fail like hundreds of others.
maybe after your advice seeking employment would be the way to go but i don't speak spanish.currently i work for a government agency in uk in administration, could it be i might have trouble finding employment in this area of work.thanks for reply ..... mr bluesky
Old Mar 20th 2005, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Richb is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe after your advice seeking employment would be the way to go but i don't speak spanish.currently i work for a government agency in uk in administration, could it be i might have trouble finding employment in this area of work.thanks for reply ..... mr bluesky
I have lived in Spain for 5 months, my partner found work almost immediately as she has a trade.
However I too found it hard to get a job here which didn't require fluent Spanish & good English.

After spending every penny of my savings hanging on to the propect of our new life and refusing job offers back in Blighty, I finally found full time employment, however it requires an 80 mile round trip as it's on Gibraltar...

Good luck but please enquire into every single aspect before even contemplating the actual move over, it's hard work and time ticks on so have some money behined you.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Robert@Eurosettlers is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite a few of the people we help, start off by doing freelance practical work for other people. This might be airport runs, decorating, gardening, key holding (looking after other peoples properties that they rent out), and anything else that they think of or identify as a requirement where they live. You might feel that this approach is not an option for you, as you have the responsibility of a family. Learning Spanish will be a real help with employment - try evening classes at your local college.

Property is currently good value in the area between Almunecar and Motril , where Malaga province adjoins Granada & Almeria provinces. A road tunnel (it will be the longest in Europe) is currently being built to connect the motorway from Alicante to Malaga. When this happens (12 months time?) property prices in this area will rocket because it will cut journey times to Malaga airport by at least 50%.

For schooling try visiting the following web sites (if you struggle to find them let me know and I'll print them out and send them to you).

http://costablancaexpats.net/pats/education2.txt (very informative)
www.nabss.org
http://www.spainexchange.com/study_s...h_speaking.php

Hope this proves helpful
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Howard will become famous soon enough

I should say so. How can you work in "administration", public or private, in Spain, without......erm.....speaking Spanish? If I were you I'd start learning (it's not as if it was that hard.....not compared to Serbo-Croat anyway)
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:23 am
Just Joined

evacuateuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there mr blue sky... sorry I just couldnt help that. But seriously, is there any expertise that you have that may benefit the UK community. That maybe you could charge for your services. Dunno but let me know how it goes. We sorta in the same boat really, trying to find a way to live in Spain ourselves. Only too happy to give advise, glad to receive it too. Ha
Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Just put it in reverse gear, imagine a Spanish guy with no English doing your job in England.