Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

emigrating with children

emigrating with children

Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Ryabecc is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile emigrating with children

I am intending to relocate to Spain with my 2 children aged 12 and 13. Please could anyone give me any recommendations of areas within Costa Blanca, i have been considering Playa Flamenca, Gandia and Oliva . I'm looking for which would be most suitable for children i.e plenty of other English children, schools.

Thankyou for your time

Debs
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice
Default Re: emigrating with children

Originally Posted by Ryabecc
I am intending to relocate to Spain with my 2 children aged 12 and 13. Please could anyone give me any recommendations of areas within Costa Blanca, i have been considering Playa Flamenca, Gandia and Oliva . I'm looking for which would be most suitable for children i.e plenty of other English children, schools.

Thankyou for your time

Debs
"Most suitable for children" would be to mix more with local Spanish kids, honestly.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:40 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unexpat
"Most suitable for children" would be to mix more with local Spanish kids, honestly.
I agree, but if you really want a large expat community try a little further south, Denia, Javea, Moraira, Calpe

But from a different point of view, at your children's ages, it will be harder for them to learn the language than if they were younger, so it might be better for them to go to an international school rather than a Spanish one.

again, the areas I mentioned have international schools.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:12 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

I think they are too late for Spanish school, they will struggle with the language and get left behind, could also be a bullying issue too.

There are quite a few international school - here in the Javea area there are two - sure it costs but they get their English qualifications and it is seamless.

Imagine this - in your childrens class right now a Russian kid was put in knowing no English and think how it would be for him.

Mark
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM
I think they are too late for Spanish school, they will struggle with the language and get left behind, could also be a bullying issue too.

There are quite a few international school - here in the Javea area there are two - sure it costs but they get their English qualifications and it is seamless.

Imagine this - in your childrens class right now a Russian kid was put in knowing no English and think how it would be for him.

Mark
my daughters best friend was moved when she was 11 to a tiny village where the school only had about 15 kids. She did just fine, obviously she struggled at first as everything was taught in Spanish but within 6 months she was fluent. All kids are different but they adapt amazing well even at that age. Obviously going into a high school is a different kettle of fish altogether but I doubt after a few months the language issue will be a problem, personally I'd get them lessons before you leave to get them at least up to a basic conversation level.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 8:09 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

You may well be right Woodsey but these kids are 12 and 13 + in the areas mentioned you have to learn two new languages - what we know as Spanish + most lessons and exams are in the local dialect which won't be any good outside of the Costa Blanca.

Mark
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:03 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM
You may well be right Woodsey but these kids are 12 and 13 + in the areas mentioned you have to learn two new languages - what we know as Spanish + most lessons and exams are in the local dialect which won't be any good outside of the Costa Blanca.

Mark

not most, but a lot of lessons are in Valenciano, (my 2 girls are at spanish school in Javea)

the big consideration is that the brain changes the way it deals with language at around age 10.........until then it can learn by 'absorbtion', after that it will learn only by 'studying'
Old Apr 13th 2006, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Ryabecc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
not most, but a lot of lessons are in Valenciano, (my 2 girls are at spanish school in Javea)

the big consideration is that the brain changes the way it deals with language at around age 10.........until then it can learn by 'absorbtion', after that it will learn only by 'studying'
thanks to all who replied. Is there no point in learning my children any spanish if it is a local dialect that is used, and what is the difference???
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:40 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

thanks to all who replied. Is there no point in learning my children any spanish if it is a local dialect that is used, and what is the difference???

it's not a dialect...........it's a whole seperate language!!!!

and yes, it's still worth them learning some spanish, after all, it's the national language! By the time my girls get to university age, they will have the choice of Spain, the UK, or if we return there, the US (we're british, loong story)
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by GCM

Mark
Quite a few Russians around that have picked up the language fine and most are weeeeell past the "age of absorbtion" quoted elsewhere.

I wouldn't put a hard and fast rule on 10, in any case. For some kids it will be 12/13 others 8/9. When you are forced to deal with the language, for a great deal of your time each day, it is inevitable that you will learn it irrespective of age. Studying helps put structure on what you "learn" and in any case is required in order to make sense of everything and put discipline into the end product, regardless. Finally, a recent study noted that it is the "structure" of the brain that matters as to whether you have an affinity for languages, or not. No way to change that at any age.

*ding* (Throws in 2 centimos)

Last edited by Unexpat; Apr 14th 2006 at 12:20 am.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 7:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Quite a few Russians around that have picked up the language fine and most are weeeeell past the "age of absorbtion" quoted elsewhere.

I wouldn't put a hard and fast rule on 10, in any case. For some kids it will be 12/13 others 8/9. When you are forced to deal with the language, for a great deal of your time each day, it is inevitable that you will learn it irrespective of age. Studying helps put structure on what you "learn" and in any case is required in order to make sense of everything and put discipline into the end product, regardless. Finally, a recent study noted that it is the "structure" of the brain that matters as to whether you have an affinity for languages, or not. No way to change that at any age.

*ding* (Throws in 2 centimos)

I did say 'around 10' which is what lots of research shows.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Thankyou for your time

Debs
Hi Debs,

We are relocating to Oliva and looked into schools, life for kids etc....it seems great....only 30% english so not overcrowded my expats.....we want to embrace the Spanish culture so we are sending our kids to Spanish schools.

We've been there once, only for 3 days but loved it....renting over there at the end of this month.....

Our kids are 3 and 17 months so we've got a different scenario.....best thing is to download a Spanish course so your children have a headstart before moving over there....we've downloaded Rocket Spanish which is really good.

One thing I would say, when we were over there , we saw a group of British youngsters in a pub in the afternoon, drinking and smoking - not loutish but still far too young. So I asked the person you I was visiting re areas and property....(Parasol Networks), they explained that two families came over hen the kids were 14 and the kids found Spanish schooling to difficult, language plus the GCSE's (or equivalent)...so dropped out of school, no qualifications- didn't learn to speeak Spainsh fluently...shame ! Thats why I said about learning Spainsh ASAP.

Hope that helps.....

All the best to you and your family, it's a brilliant start for the children !!

Mich

Feel free to email me at [email protected]
Old Apr 28th 2006, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
One thing I would say, when we were over there , we saw a group of British youngsters in a pub in the afternoon, drinking and smoking - not loutish but still far too young. So I asked the person you I was visiting re areas and property....(Parasol Networks), they explained that two families came over hen the kids were 14 and the kids found Spanish schooling to difficult, language plus the GCSE's (or equivalent)...so dropped out of school, no qualifications- didn't learn to speeak Spainsh fluently...shame ! Thats why I said about learning Spainsh ASAP.
supporting my point >>>

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
90% of the english teenagers i know in spain dont go to school.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

supporting my point >>>
Hiya,

Is it 90% of English teenagers that do not go to school ? And do you think this is because they didn't intergrate when they were very small...?

I know what you are saying but my kids are 3 and 17 months, so they will be more Spanish than English - if we decide to stay in Spain that is.......

Can I ask why you moved out to Spain ?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 5:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

supporting my point >>>
It is part of the spanish lifestyle for children to drink alcohol, such as it is in France also. As she said, no loutish behaviour!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.