Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Emergency bits in car

Emergency bits in car

Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

AndL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emergency bits in car

Question - according to a certain local expat paper, you no longer need to carry spare bulbs in the car. Yet a friend was fined for not having them...

I thought you had to have spare tyre (not just a can of run-flat), 2 x triangles, hi-vis vests for all occupants (not just the driver) and "recommended" was spare bulbs and a first aid kit. Anyone clariy this?
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

AndL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emergency bits in car

This is what the FCO website says......

It is a legal requirement for motorists travelling to or through Spain to carry two red warning triangles which are to be placed, in the event of an accident or breakdown, in front of and behind the vehicle. Drivers must have a spare pair of glasses (if needed for driving), a spare wheel, and a full set of spare light bulbs plus the tools to change them. If at any time you have to leave your vehicle due to an accident or breakdown or while waiting for the arrival of the emergency services, you must wear a reflective jacket or you may face a heavy fine.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ipment+in+cars
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 3:59 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

well, I wonder how long it will be until it's required to have a breathalyser kit (as in France).

On a related theme, is it legal to wear a blue hat on thursdays? Can you drive with a blue hat? I am meeting with my women's group tomorrow, and would like to wear my blue hat, but I wouldn't want to get a fine. Would a purple hat be considered blue?

By the way, in Spain apparently what's written in law only applies in court. If it's unlikely it will go to court, then people can make up their own interpretation of the law.

So, if the guardia decides to write you a ticket for some obscure "violation" such as "carrying a gas bottle without a permit" or "not having all your spare bulbs" (in some cases collect the fine in cash on the spot), it doesn't matter whether it's technically the law or not, since it's highly unlikely you'll ever bring it to court anyway (and the fine will be accepted even if there is no law violated). And if you do go to court, they can always just say "oh, sorry, we made a boo boo" - but the costs will still be yours.

Laws are great. That's why we have so many of them.

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 22nd 2012 at 5:05 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 5:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

So, if the guardia decides to write you a ticket for some obscure "violation" such as "carrying a gas bottle without a permit" or "not having all your spare bulbs" (in some cases collect the fine in cash on the spot), it doesn't matter whether it's technically the law or not, since it's highly unlikely you'll ever bring it to court anyway (and the fine will be accepted even if there is no law violated). And if you do go to court, they can always just say "oh, sorry, we made a boo boo" - but the costs will still be yours.

Laws are great. That's why we have so many of them.
If you are a resident then you don't have to pay on the spot.

Some insurance policies cover "Fines Management - gestion de multas" and they will contest the fine. 99% of the time they drop it in cases like this. Unlikely to work for speeding fines as they have a photo.

If it's not included on the policy it's is usually about €15 to add it.

And to answer the original question you don't need a spare wheel (a tube of repair sealant is OK) and you don't need a set of bulbs.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:47 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I have searched the website which gives all the laws in Spain. http://www.boe.es/
I cannot find anything that says the law requiring a car to carry around spare bulbs has been rescinded.
I know that almost all newer cars require a mechanic/special tools to change headlights there is still the question over older cars. Plus, with all newer vehicles one can still change all the other light bulbs. Shops still sell boxes of bulbs.
Regarding the law: Hopefully someone who is better at searching than me can find where the change of law is on the B.O.E. website.
Then we can all print it off and show the friendly Guardia Civil what the law says.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I have searched the website which gives all the laws in Spain. http://www.boe.es/
I cannot find anything that says the law requiring a car to carry around spare bulbs has been rescinded.
I know that almost all newer cars require a mechanic/special tools to change headlights there is still the question over older cars. Plus, with all newer vehicles one can still change all the other light bulbs. Shops still sell boxes of bulbs.
Regarding the law: Hopefully someone who is better at searching than me can find where the change of law is on the B.O.E. website.
Then we can all print it off and show the friendly Guardia Civil what the law says.
There is no official document that says you don't have to carry bulbs but conversley there is no document that says you do.

The law used to mention them but it no longer does so.

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d...4.html#anexo12

The only requirements mentioned are warning triangles, reflective jackets and a spare wheel and the tools to change it OR or an alternative to changing the wheel which provides sufficient vehicle mobility.

I understand that the reason the law was changed is that many cars have lights which cannot be changed without a visit to a garage and the cost of carrying spare sealed beam Zenon headlights would be prohibitive.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 23rd 2012 at 1:10 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:15 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Still regardless of law or not it costs nothing to have a set of spare bulbs for the rear of the vehicle & most are easy to change.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by playamonte
Still regardless of law or not it costs nothing to have a set of spare bulbs for the rear of the vehicle & most are easy to change.
Yes of course that makes sense but the point of this thread is to establish just what the law requires.

Just for the record, in the last 30 years I have never needed to change a bulb!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

larryX is an unknown quantity at this point

Recently I attended a presentation on the law. I was not too impressed by what the lawyer said as I know he was wrong on some (maybe several) points.

But interestingly he did say, in Spain if there is no law which says you can do it then you cannot. Unlike in UK where, if there is no law which says you cannot do it, you can.

He also said, Spanish courts uphold the law, they do not dispense justice.

I make no personal comment on this
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

larryX is an unknown quantity at this point

On the light bulb question.

I read several years ago that one ask the Guardia Civil to change a defective bulb. Its a free service.

Again, no personal comment from me on this.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

which is the route I took before leaving the UK, Lidl had a sale of small plastic boxes of light bulbs for various vehicles at about £2.00 so bought one for each car and are in a box in the boot with a couple of triangles bought from the AA via Amazon for a couple of quid each.
Each car has a similar box containing the "emergency" items, but the hi-viz jackets are kept in the front as I believe the rule is you have to get out of the car wearing it (!) and yes it is one per occupant not just the driver, so you may need 5, but at about £2-£3 each it shouldnt break the bank when compared with an on the spot fine.
Considering how dark and murky the UK is for most of the year why isnt it a legal requirement to have hi-viz ??

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes of course that makes sense but the point of this thread is to establish just what the law requires.

Just for the record, in the last 30 years I have never needed to change a bulb!
I had to change a brake light a couple of years ago, man was that fiddly. But yes you are right, they seem to be more reliable.
But have you noticed how many 3-5 year old cars have lighting defects ??
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

costs nothing .
how does that work then? Somebody giving away free bulbs?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
But have you noticed how many 3-5 year old cars have lighting defects ??
It's the number of cars with badly aligned front lights that amazes me considering these should be checked at the ITV.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
It's the number of cars with badly aligned front lights that amazes me considering these should be checked at the ITV.
the usual answer - they were correct when they were tested

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.