Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Embarrassed by the Brits?

Embarrassed by the Brits?

Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:02 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Embarrassed by the Brits?

Originally Posted by Domino
considering how many seem to feel about their prime minister, if they don't then I feel sure they will understand once it is explained
thats how language works
the oh has just told me that some of the spaniards she works with didnt understand it but when it was explained to them they thought it the funniest thing of the year and went round telling everyone else.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:06 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

the oh has just told me that some of the spaniards she works with didnt understand it but when it was explained to them they thought it the funniest thing of the year and went round telling everyone else.
I just can't wait until Rajoy brings in his version of heaven on earth.

It's going to be so much better than Zapatero's.

Old Sep 7th 2011, 3:00 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I just can't wait until Rajoy brings in his version of heaven on earth.

It's going to be so much better than Zapatero's.

Not known for his love of immigrants.

Graham
Old Sep 7th 2011, 3:21 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Graham
There are some bloody silly people who can't wait to be shot of Zappy.

The El Jueves cartoon said it all.

First panel.
"The good news! Zappy is going! (Pic of Z with large pair of scissors.)

The second panel.
"The bad news. Rajoy is coming!" (Pic of Rajoy holding a MASSIVE pair of shears.)
Old Sep 7th 2011, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

whats the problem Fiona ?? the thread title reads (here in the uk) Embarrassed by the Brits? so sure it is the same out in sunnyland.the op was on about attitudes and language and the discussion currently is about the use of words which may or may not cause embarrassment
in the words of the Great Moderator - keep digging until I tell you to stop !
rgds
... look who the OP is!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:39 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
... look who the OP is!!!!!!!!!!
i did - twice - before posting
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Graham
All the great dictators are Galician. Fidel Castro and Franco to name two.

However, Rajoy is not one of them. He is just a puppet for the slimeball Aznar and his possie who will go around privitising state services so their mates can make a quick buck.

I don't think the PP are anti-immigrant after all immigration soared when they were in power. The PP are simply pro-church, pro-Castellano and pro-easy money
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
No it isnt. You've just let everyone know how little Spanish you know!
Sorry to disagree.....but my Spanish neighbours use it and so do the Spanish side of my family down in Mijas Costa and in Marbella, I guess it depends very much on the area you live in.
While I'm a long way from fluent myself and probably never will be (I forget English words), I do in fact speak quite a lot of Spanish and understand and read even more.

Last edited by megmet; Sep 7th 2011 at 5:32 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Right, like "er indoors" or "the missus" type thing.

I cant really say if it exists or not as a recognised word. but quite a lot of folks use it )probably copying us) , in a familiar way.

Esposa, mujer, are not such nice sounding words as marida, I prefer using it.
It may or may not be a recognised word, but the Spanish side of our family use it, as do our Spanish neighbours.
Perhaps it's only snobbish in-comers who think they know Spanish better than the indigenous people who don't know of it's common usage.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes, agree CM I have never hear "marida" in all the years in Spain. I think it's probably used as one of those jokey private family words by JLFS. Esposa isn't used much either except by people learning spanish, certainly not in a conversation between spaniards.
Perhaps you were not as integrated as you thought you were then!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need to be integrated, you obviously aren't. Asked a spanish friend today...never heard of it You are digging yourself into a hole...methinks the lady doth protest too much

3 posts in a row...oh dear. Shall we be kind and say it is widely used!!

Last edited by jackytoo; Sep 7th 2011 at 6:00 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuanSolo
Hi! This is my first post. I'm a Spaniard planning to move to UK and I came to this forum just to learn more about Brits. This is an ideal place for me to do so, given that British expats like you have an invaluable view of both cultures. You point with your comments to remarkable facts that will help me a lot when I arrive to the UK.

I realize that there's room for improvement in my English, so please be patient if I use odd expressions or even grammar faults. Corrections will be more than welcome.

I don't mean to be an intruder here, but in the other hand I think I can contribute with my point of view and thus give something in return to the community.

So...
I'm embarrassed (I'm keeping on topic, Fiona!) that no one has thought to say welcome to you, JuanSolo, on your first post! And, a good post, too!

Hhmm, "marida" = helpmate/wife. Would this marida "wears the trousers"? (only joking!)

"Esposa" = wife, spouse (formal). I'm guessing this word is used more often by the older generation. (I use it.) Besides which this word is used in Church wedding ceremonies, isn't it?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

JuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JuanSolo
Hi! This is my first post. I'm a Spaniard planning to move to UK and I came to this forum just to learn more about Brits. This is an ideal place for me to do so, given that British expats like you have an invaluable view of both cultures. You point with your comments to remarkable facts that will help me a lot when I arrive to the UK.

I realize that there's room for improvement in my English, so please be patient if I use odd expressions or even grammar faults. Corrections will be more than welcome.

I don't mean to be an intruder here, but in the other hand I think I can contribute with my point of view and thus give something in return to the community.

So,

1) The word *'marida' is not in the Spanish dictionary and AFAIK that word isn't used at all by any Spaniard with the caveat of jokes. Therefore I foresee it won't be added to the thesaurus. We use to correct children when they use such word and we explain to them that the correct term is 'mujer' or 'esposa'. 'Pareja' is also used, but --and this is completely personal-- when people use this word, it seems to me that they are hiding their marital status and/or their sexual preferences. 'Media naranja' does so, but since it's more informal it sounds better to me. If you want to me very formal, 'cónyuge' is your word.

2) I wouldn't assume a waiter/waitress prefers a swelled bill instead of a good conversation. First, because he/she could be an employee with fixed wages. Second, because the average Spaniard loves conversation. And it's up to the individual to be kind regardless other considerations.

3) Beyond the language you speak to the people it is the attitude that matters. Of course it is polite to ask first in the local language whether or not they can speak English. But if you're ordering and you have no option because you only speak your language, your only tool is your hand sign and your language. The average Spanish bartender understands this and tries to give service, in English, French, Russian or Swahili. Anyway if you plan to travel to a country with other language, it is smart to learn some basic constructs. The good news is that mastering English and Spanish, you can communicate with 80% of people around the world.

And I agree that most of the times you get what you are expecting.

By the way, we Spaniards get embarrassed lots of times by our fellow's behaviour. None of us want to be labelled because other's misbehaviour. I'm glad we have that in common.
Originally Posted by megmet
It may or may not be a recognised word, but the Spanish side of our family use it, as do our Spanish neighbours.
Perhaps it's only snobbish in-comers who think they know Spanish better than the indigenous people who don't know of it's common usage.
I *am* native Spaniard, I've travelled around almost all Spain and America and I can assure it is not common used.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:08 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
And I am bit partial to its usage too..........

If it is not common,I think it should be.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

JuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Carol&John
I'm embarrassed (I'm keeping on topic, Fiona!) that no one has thought to say welcome to you, JuanSolo, on your first post! And, a good post, too!
Thank you very much! The thing is that it seems that each post I send with a link is moderated and therefore it appears much later. Hence why many people misses them. I guess that is because management considers I'm not still trustworthy. Or is it the policy of the site?

Originally Posted by Carol&John
"Esposa" = wife, spouse (formal). I'm guessing this word is used more often by the older generation. (I use it.) Besides which this word is used in Church wedding ceremonies, isn't it?
I don't remember, I got married 11 years ago! But 'esposos' is used for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.