Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

embargo on house

embargo on house

Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: embargo on house

Originally Posted by kazic
This is rather fascinating. The initial question asked by petsywhitehair was rather simple:
a) He got a high tax bill of 5000 EUR
b) He heard that the authority "may put an embargo" on his house if the bill is not paid
c) He asked what this would be....

Those are the elementary issues and I assumed that patsywhitehair would easily lose his fight against administration if he is not in command of such elementary things. I have suggested that he either pay the bill or try to find some agreement.

Now, there is a suggestion that Patsy beginns the serious fight and contact the office with Spanish and English lawyers. Well done!!! We are talking about the 5000 EUR bill. What will be the bill of the lawers and what is the outcome Patsy may expect after such a procedure? What is the outcome the lawyers could promisse to gain him/her as a satisfied client?

If the lawyer requires payment of the amount X,
Patsy should be sure that the tax bill would be decreased at least for the amount X. Otherwise, the losses of patsywhitehair would be only increased.
Kazic, firstly Patsy is a female.. as the little pink icon next to her name indicates, and despite what you think, the only way is for her to contact someone in Spain who has the information and advice at their fingertips, which is why I suggested SueG, she will be able to tell her who is best to handle the problem. it may be that the best way is to use a gestor, or a lawyer, but only someone with specific information about the situation as oit applies to Patsy in SPAIN will be able to give her good advice.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

Originally Posted by whitelinen
If PW doesnt do something PDQ she will have to pay the tax because of time constraints.

She doesnt need a lawyer, she needs a good local Gestor.
This matter is not dealt with in a Court.
The Gestors are suitable for the straight forward issues which patsywhitehair could do herself after some investigations.

The main problem is that we do not know what patsywhitehair wants.
The question of pastsywhitehair was: "thing is somebody told me if i dont pay the tax people may put an embargo on my house. what is this please....... what would happen.."

The intention of patsywhitehair was may be just to get the information that property tax needs to be paid? May be to postpone the payment? May be to challenge the bill? May be to confront local tax authorities? May be to confront the tax system?

From the postings of other participants, I got the feeling that the issue was rather important and serious so that (good, english-speaking) lawyer rather than gestor was required.

May be there will be no need for the great trial "Patsywhitehair vs. Kingdom of Spain" at all. Especially if only 1000 Euro is in question.

So, the gestor looks like the most plausible solution!

Last edited by kazic; Jan 10th 2011 at 3:47 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

The Gestors are suitable for the straight forward issues which patsywhitehair could do herself after some investigations.
From the postings of other participants, I got the feeling that the issue was rather important and serious so that (good, english-speaking) lawyer rather than gestor was required.
A lawyer will pass the case to a gestor and then add a hefty sum on top of the gestors fee.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:45 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, a Gestor is what is required. It's a simple tax issue - you don't need a lawyer for that.

Have you spent much time living in Spain? Your posts would seem to indicate that you have not.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, a Gestor is what is required. It's a simple tax issue - you don't need a lawyer for that.

Have you spent much time living in Spain? Your posts would seem to indicate that you have not.
I agree completely that the lawyers are not good and since my posting #22 I was strongly against their engagement. I was assuming that the issue is rather simple. However, I was under steady pressure by other postings that patsywhitehair needs to get a top advice.... what contradicts the probably simple issue.

After having more than 30 postings by many senior members for such a simple issue - we have a happy ending! Patsywhitehair has a lot of choices for making her decision!!!

Last edited by kazic; Jan 10th 2011 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree completely that the lawyers are not good and since my posting #22 I was strongly against their engagement. I was assuming that the issue is rather simple. However, I was under steady pressure by other postings that patsywhitehair needs to get a top advice.... what contradicts the probably simple issue.

After having more than 30 postings by many senior members for such a simple issue - we have a happy ending! Patsywhitehair has a lot of choices for making her decision!!!
It didn't need 30 postings. It just needed NOT to get clouded by extraneous matters.

It needed someone to give the correct obvious advice. Get professional advice rather than take advice from anyone on this forum. It's not our money .... it's hers!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Right I have managed to keep out of this one so far Mike and Rosemary thank you for your kind comments. Patsy we can help if you want to contact me by pm. You can certainly appeal and we have clients who have done so - some have won some have not - but before passing any further comment I would need to see the paperwork. Yes an embargo can be put on your property - it would not stop you selling because you can then pay the sums due (together with any interest accrued) when you attend at the Notary for the sale.

P.S. Not boasting but am not employed by a legal firm - am in partnership with three friends - one of whom is an English Solicitor so we cover all legal aspects in Spain and England (well perhaps boasting a little bit!)