Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electric reconnected !!! Take care.......

Electric reconnected !!! Take care.......

Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:52 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Electric reconnected !!! Take care.......

As those of you who may been following my tribulations know I was cut off last week when an illegal tap was found on my meter feed cable. It was very well concealed deep in the ground, but Endesa's transformers and network monitoring can soon detect over consumption and they will find the illegal tap. It had to be remade, concreted in so it cannot be tampered with and easily detected if it is. It then took about five days for Endesa to reinstall the post fuse, which they were insistent we must not do until they had approved the connection. We played the game, some of the others in my road with no meters merely reconnected illegally. As of last night we were on again, and the person who gets the Gold Star for all his hard work and persistence, nagging Endesa to get down there, and getting the work done as requested is Ben Walby from CDL Caretaking. It would have been a bigger nightmare without him. I cannot recommend him enough, but do remember he cannot work miracles (yet), and will soon tell you if your house is in an area where legal elex is unlikely. We were also fortunate in that he was at our house supervising some gardening when the Endesa inspectors started digging in the road outside, so he was able to ascertain almost immediately the reason for us being cut off. We were innocent victims, but Endesa just assumed we were colluding in the sharing of our meter until Ben persuaded them otherwise.
My English neighbour, a permanent resident, is now on a generator. For the moment he has decided not to reconnect illegally as our mutual agent suggested. She has been investigating but told me that the builder had tried to activate one of the meters in the road at the time of his purchase but was unable. As my neighbour had been most insistent that he had a meter and was assured even at notary that this would not be a problem, I have yet to have a response to my comment that perhaps the builder should have tried activating the meter before the purchaser was urged to complete.
The number of people who were told 'don't worry the meter will be sorted after you have signed the contract' are legion. The story that has an element of black humour was the woman from a very prominent agency who after the second cut off told the victim that it was high time she improved her Spanish as everyone knew there was going to be a power cut from 3pm that afternoon. When it was pointed out that her neighbour two doors away had elex she soon changed her tune!!!
I appreciate that I am very lucky..those still on gennys etc are not. Please please do not get seduced by the rosy dream and the urge to go away having acquired that toehold in Spain. When there is no water because you cannot work the pump, so even flushing the loo involves bottled water, which can then cause the sewage to block and back up, the rosy dream can become a nasty shade of odorous brown.
Shared meters are no longer acceptable.....whether ones fitted years ago are allowed is not within my knowledge. It is difficult knowing whose opinion to trust...the lawyers? the agents??? Perhaps purchasers need to start having property surveys. You can be sure when that meter or illegal connection proves a problem they will all try to pass the buck. I would certainly advise any friends purchasing in the area to get the person who sorted my hiccup to run an eye over the installation and the paperwork...perhaps suggest you would like to get Endesa to look it over and see the reaction you get???
A day of house viewing punctuated by a lazy Spanish lunch leads us to dwell on the outlook, the location, the site for the pool and not the things we take for granted in Britain like the sewage connections and the electric meter and even in some cases the fittings and vents for the gas installation.
Meters can be shared, non existent or even older agricultural meters, over which there is some debate as to whether the account holder can be changed and whether Endesa will clamp down on their use for residential properties in the future. Perhaps a bag of seed potatoes by the front gate to demonstrate your intention to take up market gardening will help??
Finally it is only falling sales that will compel the lazy builders to put in the proper networks while building. Even this week I was told that prices were rising and builders margins getting bigger. I know there are some who are making serious attempts to redress the problem both retrospectively and in their new builds. I also know there is debate about naming and shaming and the legal aspects of libel etc, but perhaps naming those who provided a satisfactory purchase or service could be a subtle way of weeding out the cowboys?? Sending a PM via the forum takes a moment but can put your mind at rest or save you from an expensive and misery inducing mistake.

Last edited by poollounger; Nov 28th 2006 at 9:24 am. Reason: typos
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electric reconnected !!! Take care.......

Originally Posted by poollounger
As those of you who may been following my tribulations know I was cut off last week when an illegal tap was found on my meter feed cable. It was very well concealed deep in the ground, but Endesa's transformers and network monitoring can soon detect over consumption and they will find the illegal tap. It had to be remade, concreted in so it cannot be tampered with and easily detected if it is. It then took about five days for Endesa to reinstall the post fuse, which they were insistent we must not do until they had approved the connection. We played the game, some of the others in my road with no meters merely reconnected illegally. As of last night we were on again, and the person who gets the Gold Star for all his hard work and persistence, nagging Endesa to get down there, and getting the work done as requested is Ben Walby from CDL Caretaking. It would have been a bigger nightmare without him. I cannot recommend him enough, but do remember he cannot work miracles (yet), and will soon tell you if your house is in an area where legal elex is unlikely. We were also fortunate in that he was at our house supervising some gardening when the Endesa inspectors started digging in the road outside, so he was able to ascertain almost immediately the reason for us being cut off. We were innocent victims, but Endesa just assumed we were colluding in the sharing of our meter until Ben persuaded them otherwise.
My English neighbour, a permanent resident, is now on a generator. For the moment he has decided not to reconnect illegally as our mutual agent suggested. She has been investigating but told me that the builder had tried to activate one of the meters in the road at the time of his purchase but was unable. As my neighbour had been most insistent that he had a meter and was assured even at notary that this would not be a problem, I have yet to have a response to my comment that perhaps the builder should have tried activating the meter before the purchaser was urged to complete.
The number of people who were told 'don't worry the meter will be sorted after you have signed the contract' are legion. The story that has an element of black humour was the woman from a very prominent agency who after the second cut off told the victim that it was high time she improved her Spanish as everyone knew there was going to be a power cut from 3pm that afternoon. When it was pointed out that her neighbour two doors away had elex she soon changed her tune!!!
I appreciate that I am very lucky..those still on gennys etc are not. Please please do not get seduced by the rosy dream and the urge to go away having acquired that toehold in Spain. When there is no water because you cannot work the pump, so even flushing the loo involves bottled water, which can then cause the sewage to block and back up, the rosy dream can become a nasty shade of odorous brown.
Shared meters are no longer acceptable.....whether ones fitted years ago are allowed is not within my knowledge. It is difficult knowing whose opinion to trust...the lawyers? the agents??? Perhaps purchasers need to start having property surveys. You can be sure when that meter or illegal connection proves a problem they will all try to pass the buck. I would certainly advise any friends purchasing in the area to get the person who sorted my hiccup to run an eye over the installation and the paperwork...perhaps suggest you would like to get Endesa to look it over and see the reaction you get???
A day of house viewing punctuated by a lazy Spanish lunch leads us to dwell on the outlook, the location, the site for the pool and not the things we take for granted in Britain like the sewage connections and the electric meter and even in some cases the fittings and vents for the gas installation.
Meters can be shared, non existent or even older agricultural meters, over which there is some debate as to whether the account holder can be changed and whether Endesa will clamp down on their use for residential properties in the future. Perhaps a bag of seed potatoes by the front gate to demonstrate your intention to take up market gardening will help??
Finally it is only falling sales that will compel the lazy builders to put in the proper networks while building. Even this week I was told that prices were rising and builders margins getting bigger. I know there are some who are making serious attempts to redress the problem both retrospectively and in their new builds. I also know there is debate about naming and shaming and the legal aspects of libel etc, but perhaps naming those who provided a satisfactory purchase or service could be a subtle way of weeding out the cowboys?? Sending a PM via the forum takes a moment but can put your mind at rest or save you from an expensive and misery inducing mistake.
An excellent post Poollounger.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Very glad to hear you're reconnected properly and securely.

Thanks for taking the trouble to spell out all the pitfalls for the unwary - excellent post and advice.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

I am very glad to hear that once more you are living in the 21st century. If anybody is interested my tip re electric meters is take the number of the meter and then take this to Endesa which is just what I did with my present house. They will then check it out and tell you if its registered at the property you are thinking of buying. I did hear that builders were buying unauthorised electric meters and installing them in properties themselves. That is why you have to be carefull. You may think you have a genuine meter but you could be in for a nasty shock in more ways than one!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

culchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really nice

Originally Posted by mitzipurr
I am very glad to hear that once more you are living in the 21st century. If anybody is interested my tip re electric meters is take the number of the meter and then take this to Endesa which is just what I did with my present house. They will then check it out and tell you if its registered at the property you are thinking of buying. I did hear that builders were buying unauthorised electric meters and installing them in properties themselves. That is why you have to be carefull. You may think you have a genuine meter but you could be in for a nasty shock in more ways than one!
Glad to hear that you´re reconnected. Your electricity meter was in situ when you bought the house so you were not to know that there was a piggyback in place. Seems to me that anyone in a similar situation should contact Endesa and ask them to check whether the supply is kosher. At least that way you can´t be blamed and treated as though a criminal by Endesa...the ball is in their court. Ridiculous carry-on!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Good News Story

I am now a legal owner of an electricity meter and bill in my name. Two and a half years down the road. Yippee.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Electric reconnected !!! Take care.......

Glynis

Well done - everything comes to he who waits!!

Bet the champers is on ice??
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all

Originally Posted by glynis
Good News Story

I am now a legal owner of an electricity meter and bill in my name. Two and a half years down the road. Yippee.

Well done Glynis so two more for christmas dinner then we will be eating by candle light & thats not due to being romantic
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:04 am

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Glynis would you be able to give us an account of your saga?? What you were promised when you bought the house, what actually transpired, and under what condtioions and how you have managed to get a meter. Has the network in your road been upgraded ??? It could help others avoid the pitfalls, and those without could get some real advice on how to get a legal supply.
As to Steve.....are you planning to barbecue the food outdoors....I shall sniff the air for aromas on Christmas Day... Or are you just trying to make us feel sorry for you and issue an invite?? (Presuming I am still connected by Christmas Day!)
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all

Glynis would you be able to give us an account of your saga?? What you were promised when you bought the house, what actually transpired, and under what condtioions and how you have managed to get a meter. Has the network in your road been upgraded ??? It could help others avoid the pitfalls, and those without could get some real advice on how to get a legal supply.
As to Steve.....are you planning to barbecue the food outdoors....I shall sniff the air for aromas on Christmas Day... Or are you just trying to make us feel sorry for you and issue an invite?? (Presuming I am still connected by Christmas Day!)
Old Nov 30th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Okay. We bought in June 2004 and were promised by the estate agent and the lawyer that we would have a meter within days. It was just a matter of transferring our details to Endesa. Of course it didn´t happen and we were among the first to be cut off that summer. The estate agent and the lawyer didn´t want to know after that so with the help of a Spanish friend we phoned the builder directly. On the one occasion when we were being illegally re-connected Endesa came back and stated that the only way we could have electricity was if we were connected to a legal meter and they would then turn a blind eye. Our builder then paid the bill on the legal meter to which there were three houses connected for a matter of about 12 months . In the meantime the builder gave us a form 901 to fill in and return to the town hall which we did. The builder then applied for a legal meter, paid a fine of 3000 euros and we got the meter albeit still in his name. He then obviously
went down to Endesa and changed it into our name but unfortunately with the address of the house so we didn´t get a bill as the post goes to the Venta. So we went down yesterday to Endesa and got the address changed and they printed off a bill there and then. It is such a relief to feel the saga for us has now finished. Now we need to sort the rates out-
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

Hi All
I just thought I would update you with my latest news from my solicitor...

"In the area, (Pago del Humo) the electricity network will be upgraded by a new project that has been put into place through other builders who also have sold properties there. XXXXX (Our Builder) has joined in within this project, so you would probably get a meter. XXXXX will deal with the whole process and advise us when you can get your meter.

This project could take some time, a least a couple of months. Looking into the positive side, you could get a meter and that is the reason why XXXX would not reconnect illegally again as he does not wish to jeopardise your chances."

Any thoughts - apart from the obvious 2 months in Spanish time equates to infinity, or is that me being cynical?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:54 pm

Okay. We bought in June 2004 and were promised by the estate agent and the lawyer that we would have a meter within days. It was just a matter of transferring our details to Endesa. Of course it didn´t happen and we were among the first to be cut off that summer. The estate agent and the lawyer didn´t want to know after that so with the help of a Spanish friend we phoned the builder directly. On the one occasion when we were being illegally re-connected Endesa came back and stated that the only way we could have electricity was if we were connected to a legal meter and they would then turn a blind eye. Our builder then paid the bill on the legal meter to which there were three houses connected for a matter of about 12 months . In the meantime the builder gave us a form 901 to fill in and return to the town hall which we did. The builder then applied for a legal meter, paid a fine of 3000 euros and we got the meter albeit still in his name. He then obviously
went down to Endesa and changed it into our name but unfortunately with the address of the house so we didn´t get a bill as the post goes to the Venta. So we went down yesterday to Endesa and got the address changed and they printed off a bill there and then. It is such a relief to feel the saga for us has now finished. Now we need to sort the rates out-
It seems to me that provided one is not on white land, prepared to pay up, and prepared to wait, in time one can get a meter....anyone with experiences to relate that say otherwise???
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NicCol
Hi All
I just thought I would update you with my latest news from my solicitor...

"In the area, (Pago del Humo) the electricity network will be upgraded by a new project that has been put into place through other builders who also have sold properties there. XXXXX (Our Builder) has joined in within this project, so you would probably get a meter. XXXXX will deal with the whole process and advise us when you can get your meter.

This project could take some time, a least a couple of months. Looking into the positive side, you could get a meter and that is the reason why XXXX would not reconnect illegally again as he does not wish to jeopardise your chances."

Any thoughts - apart from the obvious 2 months in Spanish time equates to infinity, or is that me being cynical?

NicCol, after all you´ve been through surely you are not cynical!!! Actually do you have electric or have you too been cut off? Had a walk down the Drovers Road this afternoon. Nothing to report and not too wet either, but, couldn´t believe that there is now a large Swiss chalet with about four smaller ones further down again.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

culchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really nice

NicCol, after all you´ve been through surely you are not cynical!!! Actually do you have electric or have you too been cut off? Had a walk down the Drovers Road this afternoon. Nothing to report and not too wet either, but, couldn´t believe that there is now a large Swiss chalet with about four smaller ones further down again.
I´ve heard this baloney about the new transformer etc. I think this is a stalling tactic. Your builder is obliged to give you an electricity supply. Unless you are on white land there is really no good reason why you shouldn´t have a legal meter. Ask your builder has he applied for a meter?
If he answers in the affirmative ask him for a copy of the form (solicitud) - u can then pursue this with Endesa. If he hasn´t applied for a meter...ask why not....if he starts with the usual drivel.. go down to Endesa with your DNI number, your escritura and a photo of the front facade of your house (which the technico needs). Also bring your builder´s name and NIE no..Endesa will then check and let you know the status of your application. The agents, lawyers and especially builders are counting on our ignorance in this matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.