Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

El Buli closing down

El Buli closing down

Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: El Buli closing down

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I think the biggest tell tale sign is this line..."El Mundo reports that Adrià’s patron’s sons are starting legal action to claim 20% of the business"

Nothing avoids the courts better than a name change, a liquidation and a complete re invention....
I have to this ....Told you so

Any upheaval in any business scares the rap out of any creditors

Your comments Fredjames `If ever a business was recession proof, it's El Bulli. `

Cricketman `Absolutely. El Bulli is incredibly profitable and has made Ferran Adria a multi-millionaire who can pick and choose his projects now.`

Last edited by Rotor; Feb 15th 2010 at 9:34 am.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:28 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Your comments Fredjames `If ever a business was recession proof, it's El Bulli. `
You are still missing the point - it is recession proof because he never expected to make a profit - which he didn't - it is more a charity than a business.

The world may be in recession but there is still no shortage of people queuing up to spend money at the restaurant.

He has now decided to spend the money (which he makes from the other El Bulli interests) on this new "academy".
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:44 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I have to this ....Told you so

Any upheaval in any business scares the rap out of any creditors

Cricketman `Absolutely. El Bulli is incredibly profitable and has made Ferran Adria a multi-millionaire who can pick and choose his projects now.`
There is a rumour on the streets that DHL is going under... now on the surface you could easily say that its possible, they sold off a huge chunk of their trade to the Home Delivery Network last year and they are really struggling in an ever diminishing network of industry clients, but if you look at the way they conduct their business, farming out work to sub contracting firms who keep their drivers on anything between 60 and 90 day invoices then it starts to become a little clearer what they are doing, by "restructuring" and "consolidating" and maybe even shutting branches and divisions down completely they can avoid all the stress and strife that they are facing, they can, in effect avoid having to pay anyone for doing any work at all.

Now take El Bulli, the guy is a brilliant chef, he has a name for himself that most people in the industry would die for, he can quite literally name his price to enter any restaurant he likes, yet for some reason its been reported that he is going to run a "food academy" I for one don't believe a drop of it, I personally think he is doing what many suspect DHL are doing, consolidating and "restructuring" to ensure that any "creditors" or even in his case Patrons sons, can't take 20% of something he has worked so hard to build up.

This will be like the Swine Flue thing, everyone will expect the worse and what will actually happen will be so uninteresting that no one will eventually bother to comment.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You are still missing the point - it is recession proof because he never expected to make a profit - which he didn't - it is more a charity than a business.

The world may be in recession but there is still no shortage of people queuing up to spend money at the restaurant.

He has now decided to spend the money (which he makes from the other El Bulli interests) on this new "academy".
I know youve missed it , theres no such thing as recession proof in business ,everyone has to tighten their belts ,even the survivors ,fact ,there`s also a huge difference between ceasing trading and going into liquidation , the later means his creditors get stung for outstanding invoices , going into liquidation knowingly is a criminal offence and you will not get limited liability protection.

I have first hand experience of chasing debtors who decide to rape their own company by living the high life on creditors money until it runs out.

If he could not make it pay when people were supposedly queing out the door at 295,00 euro ago he`s a very poor business man,a type of charity for the rich and famous?, get real.

Last edited by Rotor; Feb 15th 2010 at 2:37 pm.