Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

EHIC Cards to Remain Valid for S1 Holders

EHIC Cards to Remain Valid for S1 Holders

Old Feb 24th 2020, 9:29 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EHIC Cards to Remain Valid for S1 Holders

Originally Posted by wellinever
Does it also fully cover a British expat now resident in an EU country, when they go back top the UK, either for visiting or permanent (ie before re becoming a UK resident, as many might decide to do after Brexit (i dont mean beacuse of I just mean as time goes on)
Yes, it does. The law was changed about 4 years ago. Before that you could only get treatment if you were returning permanently.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Fred.....thanks for that, was a big part in my indecision to become resident.
Its all so confusing as usual.
I hear that the Portuguese gov is looking/thinking at a continuation of EHIC for Brits who holiday in Portugal.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I'd like to see a reference for this.
UK-issued S1s will continue to be valid beyond 31 December. I think that this may have confused people into thinking EHICs will also be valid beyond 31 Dec.
As I said in my original post, I rang the DWP's Overseas Healthcare Team last week and asked to renew my EHIC card. I specifically asked (as I am an S1 holder) whether the new EHIC card would remain valid beyond 31 December 2020. The gentleman dealing with my call said that he would check that out before giving an answer. I was put on hold for several minutes until he came back and confirmed that for UK citizens who have an S1 registered in any EU member state before 31 December 2020, the EHIC will remain valid for as long as they remain resident in their host country. I already knew that under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement, we would retain our healthcare rights by means of the S1 form and that people already resident in an EU member state before that date but not yet in receipt of a UK state pension would also be able to get an S1 form when they reach pension age, but I had not been sure before my phone call that EHICs would also be protected for S1 holders, hence my post.

The BBC report you linked to is talking about EHICs for visitors, not for residents who hold S1 forms or are in receipt of exportable benefits.

Last edited by Rosemary; Feb 24th 2020 at 2:47 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Feb 24th 2020, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
So does that mean that in 2029 when I become a pensioner I will get an S1 and free healthcare in Spain?
Would be nice but I doubt its going to remain in force .
You got to live in Spain before 31 Dec 2020.

Old Feb 24th 2020, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Some of you may already know this, but as all the press reports I've read have said that EHIC cards will not be valid after the end of the Brexit transition period unless a new reciprocal agreement is reached, I thought I would mention it here. I have had it confirmed today when ringing the Overseas Health Team at the DWP in Newcastle that UK issued EHIC cards will remain valid beyond the end of the transition period for anyone who has an S1 form registered in an EU member state before 31 December 2020. This will apply as long as they remain resident in their host country.
Hubby (S1 holder) spent all afternoon trying to get an EHIC. The phone no. given gets him no further than a "Personal Assistant Amy".
Since we are not based in UK we end at requirement for UK postal code.
You mention having spoken to DWP healthcare team. Would you please let me have the phone no. which got you through to a human instead of a robot.
Many thanks.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Hubby (S1 holder) spent all afternoon trying to get an EHIC. The phone no. given gets him no further than a "Personal Assistant Amy".
Since we are not based in UK we end at requirement for UK postal code.
You mention having spoken to DWP healthcare team. Would you please let me have the phone no. which got you through to a human instead of a robot.
Many thanks.
Try this number +44 191 218 1999
Old Feb 25th 2020, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobd22
Try this number +44 191 218 1999
Tks for replying. This is the no. I have and it goes to "Ami". Any other ideas?
Old Feb 25th 2020, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

That used to be the number but I think it has changed now. We rang the Overseas Healthcare Team and they transferred us but gave us this number for future use, which is the one now shown on the UK Government website. I hope you will be able to get through, the staff there are always very pleasant and helpful.

0300 330 135 (preceded by 00 44 and don't use the first zero in the number, of course)

Apparently for S1 holders they are now known as EHIC-E cards so that's what you need to ask for.

Last edited by Lynn R; Feb 25th 2020 at 9:11 am.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure last time I used it (couple of months ago) I seem to remember getting a lot of info initially but I think I either just waited to speak to a person or said I want to speak to an operator. I know I did get through to a very helpful person and got an EHIC in the post 10 days later.

Last edited by bobd22; Feb 25th 2020 at 9:27 am.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

You got to live in Spain before 31 Dec 2020.
We are moving in July. So will be covered I hope.

HOWEVER

I can't see how a UK issued EHIC can be used by a Spanish resident in the UK or anywhere else in Europe. As a Spanish resident you should only be able to hold the Spanish version and unless the EU has agreed that the UK can still be a member of the health card scheme the Uk one won't be valid in Spain after Dec 2020.
The UK one is for Uk residents only outside of the UK.

I could be wrong of course..
Old Feb 25th 2020, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
We are moving in July. So will be covered I hope.

HOWEVER

I can't see how a UK issued EHIC can be used by a Spanish resident in the UK or anywhere else in Europe. As a Spanish resident you should only be able to hold the Spanish version and unless the EU has agreed that the UK can still be a member of the health card scheme the Uk one won't be valid in Spain after Dec 2020.
The UK one is for Uk residents only outside of the UK.

I could be wrong of course..
You are partly correct and partly wrong. All the info is on U.K. gov websites and I posted earlier where you are covered for if you have your S1 and are resident in Spain. Your S1 covers you for healthcare in Spain and U.K. so it is wise to take a copy with you when you return to U.K. for short periods in case you need emergency treatment. You also get your EHIC from U.K. unless you are employed in Spain paying into the Spanish INSS you then get a Spanish issued EHIC.

The U.K. EHIC is valid for the whole of the EU and the EEA EXCEPT SPAIN. This will be the case for as long as you remain a Spanish Resident beyond December 2020. This is all contained in the Withdrawal Agreement which is an internationally agreed legally binding document between the EU and U.K. The EU website has all this and more in great detail including continuing State Pension increases for life.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Feb 25th 2020 at 3:21 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Esuri John is quite right. As an early retiree, for a number of years after coming to Spain (after my original residual S1 had expired) I wasn't entitled to an EHIC from either Spain or the UK. I only became entitled to a UK-issued one (valid for use in all EU and EEA member states except for Spain where I am resident, or in the UK) when my husband became a UK state pensioner and I qualified as his dependant.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 5:07 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
The U.K. EHIC is valid for the whole of the EU and the EEA EXCEPT SPAIN. This will be the case for as long as you remain a Spanish Resident beyond December 2020. This is all contained in the Withdrawal Agreement which is an internationally agreed legally binding document between the EU and U.K. The EU website has all this and more in great detail including continuing State Pension increases for life.
Can you quote the relevant passage from the Withdrawal Agreement about the UK continuing to issue EHIC cards to S1 holders & EU / EEA countries continuing to accept UK-issued EHIC cards beyond the transition period? Or provide a link to a UK gov web page or a EU Commission webpage stating as much?
Old Feb 25th 2020, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Can you quote the relevant passage from the Withdrawal Agreement about the UK continuing to issue EHIC cards to S1 holders & EU / EEA countries continuing to accept UK-issued EHIC cards beyond the transition period? Or provide a link to a UK gov web page or a EU Commission webpage stating as much?
It says so on this webpage, in the section covering S1 holders
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...canary-islands

"If you’re living in Spain or move there permanently before the end of 2020, you’ll have life-long healthcare rights in Spain as you do now, provided you remain legally resident.

This means that you’ll get:
  • continued access to healthcare in Spain using your UK-issued S1
  • a UK-issued EHIC for travelling to other countries in the EU
  • planned treatments in other EU countries via the S2 route
You may need to register or apply for residency depending on your circumstances."

Last edited by Lynn R; Feb 25th 2020 at 5:15 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 6:18 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks LynnR, that's great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.