Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

EHIC card for use in the UK

EHIC card for use in the UK

Old Jun 26th 2014, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EHIC card for use in the UK

Can anybody on the forum explain to me what I have to do to be able to get a EHIC card for emergency use when in the UK. ? I am now resident in Spain and as I am retired I am able to receive my health care through the Spanish NHS and as such need to send my UK EHIC card back. Not sure how I apply for one. Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 3:35 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EHIC card for use in the UK

As a pensioner you will have to get your EHIC from the UK. I don't know if the one you are holding will do.

This from the govt website

If you are a UK state pensioner living in Spain and registered for healthcare with an S1, the UK is responsible for issuing your EHIC to use on a temporary stay in the UK and a third EU country. For more information, telephone the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999.
ETA that is assuming you are a UK STATE pensioner...

Last edited by jimenato; Jun 26th 2014 at 3:45 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 3:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manclass
Can anybody on the forum explain to me what I have to do to be able to get a EHIC card for emergency use when in the UK. ? I am now resident in Spain and as I am retired I am able to receive my health care through the Spanish NHS and as such need to send my UK EHIC card back. Not sure how I apply for one. Thank you in advance.
As jimenato has said, you have to get it from the UK, which seems a bit ridiculous, but that's the rules, however it will be marked that it isn't valid in Spain.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
As a pensioner you will have to get your EHIC from the UK. I don't know if the one you are holding will do.

This from the govt website

ETA that is assuming you are a UK STATE pensioner...
Of course the one the OP is holding won't do - it was for countries in the EU except UK ! He needs the one for Countries in the EU except Spain!.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Phoned the number, all sorted, they are sending me a application form for my new card.
thanks for your help
Old Jun 26th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manclass
Phoned the number, all sorted, they are sending me a application form for my new card.
thanks for your help
You could have downloaded it, and saved time.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

This is a useful site and explains the whole system

Health Care In Spain | Working through the British consulate looking to offer information on health care requirements for UK residents living and working in Spain
Old Jun 27th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
You could have downloaded it, and saved time.
Hi Neptuno, do you have a link for the form please? I have googled but can only find one for Irish nationals, nothing for UK nationals with Spanish residency.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have looked, and it seems you have to have to apply by phone, to have the form sent to you,although if you are resident in UK you can apply on line. Sorry about giving you duff info!
Surely soon this form will be available to download for those living in Spain?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

I was told on the phone that as soon as the S1 form is returned back to them from Spain they will automatically send me the application form.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

And when you send in the form it's worth checking what the turnaround time is. I applied 2 years ago and was told there was a 1 year waiting time for new cards to be issued. Sure enough, 1 year later my new card arrived in the post! and it's absolutely identical to the one I already had that had been issued to me when I was a UK resident. But I was glad to have a realistic expectation of the timescale for the new card.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have a EHIC card, which I got when I got my pension a few years ago. I dont know if it is any different. But when I was last back in the UK I had a torn ligament and got treated at my local hospital walk in centre. She took a photo copy of the card and suggested I sign on as a temporary resident with my daughter´s GP.

On another note what is the position with having a free eye test in the UK as a pensioner?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you are stating that the one you have was issued in the UK before you became resident in Spain, then I think that should not have been used when you visited.
Also, surely you cannot register as a temporary resident in this way? That is for people who live in the UK, and stay with someone in another part of the country. The EHIC card is only for necessary or emergency treatment, not general care which you would visit a GP for
I had an eye test when I visited the UK, and paid £12, as I lived abroad, and therefore did not have a GP in the UK
Old Jun 28th 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw my old GP on my last visit.He knows I'm resident here but gave me an appointment with no problems.All this daft EU red tape needs cutting,you should have medical access in all EU member states freely available with just sight of residents card or passport
Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:31 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
I saw my old GP on my last visit.He knows I'm resident here but gave me an appointment with no problems.All this daft EU red tape needs cutting,you should have medical access in all EU member states freely available with just sight of residents card or passport
but who pays for it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.