Education

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 6:01 pm
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough
Default Education

Hi we are planning to move and our child will be 10 when we arrive I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on education options and experiences.
My daughter has never been in the state system here so we plan must likely to continue her education privately but wonder what options are available.
We are concerned that if she goes to an English only school she will find it harder to fit in.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Harley69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Education

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
Hi we are planning to move and our child will be 10 when we arrive I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on education options and experiences.
My daughter has never been in the state system here so we plan must likely to continue her education privately but wonder what options are available.
We are concerned that if she goes to an English only school she will find it harder to fit in.
Hi Gazzpfc

I can't really say much about the Spanish school system, But going with by my own experience i would say save your money and send your child to state school.

I moved to Italy when i was nearly ten and I didn't know a word of Italian. I absolutely hated the first few weeks. To make things even worst the school i went to didn't even have an English teacher. luckily i made friends from day one.... Okay at the beginning i couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand me,but it didn't stop us having fun. More time i spent with them and the more i learnt and before i knew it i was fluent. Three years later i had my final exams (middle school) and was one of the top scorers.

So as you can see not only does it help children pick up the language quicker, it also helps kid integrate a lot easier.

I have heard good reports about Spanish schools. I know of a couple in Malaga , they have 2 kids. The eldest (17 ) went to private she and the youngest (10) went to Spanish school... two years on the eldest still doesn't speak fluent Spanish and has mainly British friends, whilst the youngest is more than fluent and has loads of Spainsh friends....

Okay it's a different area, but school is school where ever you go.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:49 am
Experience 5* rating

Costa-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant future

Hi

I am moving to Spain this year and am sending my son to a private school (he is 5) the school is bi-lingual and they have immersion lessons in Spanish. (he will have 5 hours per week for the first year and should be fluent in 1 year). The only experience I have of a Spanish state school is that where my son goes to Spanish lessons in the UK I got talking to a lady and she had just moved back to the UK because of the bullying that her daughter (who was 9) was experiencing at a Spanish state school because her Spanish was very poor and her peer group could all speak fluent Spanish. 95% of the children at her school were English!

I am sure that this does not go on in all state schools and have to say that it would appear the English children are picked on more by English children than Spanish children. I am also sure that people will say that is an unfair assessment of the situation in schools in Spain but it is also true in general. Where my house is in Spain I have a nice green area opposite which is used by youngsters to play football and games etc. The Spanish children are always telling each other to be quiet and not to kick the ball into our gardens but the English kids all you here is foul language, they are abusive to residents when asked to keep any noise down and frequently rude.

Jo
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:56 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Costa-Convert
Hi

I am moving to Spain this year and am sending my son to a private school (he is 5) the school is bi-lingual and they have immersion lessons in Spanish. (he will have 5 hours per week for the first year and should be fluent in 1 year). The only experience I have of a Spanish state school is that where my son goes to Spanish lessons in the UK I got talking to a lady and she had just moved back to the UK because of the bullying that her daughter (who was 9) was experiencing at a Spanish state school because her Spanish was very poor and her peer group could all speak fluent Spanish. 95% of the children at her school were English!

I am sure that this does not go on in all state schools and have to say that it would appear the English children are picked on more by English children than Spanish children. I am also sure that people will say that is an unfair assessment of the situation in schools in Spain but it is also true in general. Where my house is in Spain I have a nice green area opposite which is used by youngsters to play football and games etc. The Spanish children are always telling each other to be quiet and not to kick the ball into our gardens but the English kids all you here is foul language, they are abusive to residents when asked to keep any noise down and frequently rude.

Jo
Thanks for the replies suppose like all things it depends a lot on your child as I said before my daughter has been at a private all girls school since she started school used to class size of 15 and like everywhere there has been hiccups along the way but she has enjoyed it and as a sociable but non demonstrative type the school has suited her.
We are coming to Spain in 2007 as its ideal time business wise and in terms of my daughters education ideal because its 12 months before she starts senior school so if things don't go well after 1 year we can go back as her school have agreed to hold a place for her.
The behaviour of the English kids does not surprise me as I have heard these stories from others about bullying by English kids of newly arrived English kids.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:03 am
Experience 5* rating

Costa-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies suppose like all things it depends a lot on your child as I said before my daughter has been at a private all girls school since she started school used to class size of 15 and like everywhere there has been hiccups along the way but she has enjoyed it and as a sociable but non demonstrative type the school has suited her.
We are coming to Spain in 2007 as its ideal time business wise and in terms of my daughters education ideal because its 12 months before she starts senior school so if things don't go well after 1 year we can go back as her school have agreed to hold a place for her.
The behaviour of the English kids does not surprise me as I have heard these stories from others about bullying by English kids of newly arrived English kids.
I think there are a couple of all girl school's in Spain they are quite English I believe one is the lady elizabeth I am sure that is girls only but will probably depend on where you are moving to.

I too am holding a place for my son only for 1 year because I think you have to try for a year really to make an informed decision as to whether it is for you and your family or not. I hope it works out for you (and me) and I hope you find the right school.

Jo
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:04 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are a couple of all girl school's in Spain they are quite English I believe one is the lady elizabeth I am sure that is girls only but will probably depend on where you are moving to.

I too am holding a place for my son only for 1 year because I think you have to try for a year really to make an informed decision as to whether it is for you and your family or not. I hope it works out for you (and me) and I hope you find the right school.

Jo

The Lady Elizabeth School is in Javea (jnrs) & Lliber (snrs). It is co-ed not all girls, however it is very English
Old Feb 25th 2006, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

If you want your child to learn Spanish, send her to a Spanish school. She will soon integrate and will become fluent in Spanish. Much better for her. The younger the child the better. I have friends who send their children to Spanish schools and have settled in well. Whereas my other friend educated their child at home and he didn't make any friends with the local children, such a shame.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:34 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
If you want your child to learn Spanish, send her to a Spanish school. She will soon integrate and will become fluent in Spanish. Much better for her. The younger the child the better. I have friends who send their children to Spanish schools and have settled in well. Whereas my other friend educated their child at home and he didn't make any friends with the local children, such a shame.

Our girls had a year at XIC (the other english/International school in Javea), and were fine there, but after a year they decided they wanted to try spanish school since they both already had friends there.
I feel that the standard of education is higher in the spanish state school than it was there, added to which they are both, a year later, fluent in spanish, and my older one (10) is near the top of the class in all subjects (even those taught in Valenciano).
both have both english & spanish friends ( and many other nationalities), as do I now, and we are settling in better & certainly integrating more with the local community.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Education

Originally Posted by lynnxa
Our girls had a year at XIC (the other english/International school in Javea), and were fine there, but after a year they decided they wanted to try spanish school since they both already had friends there.
I feel that the standard of education is higher in the spanish state school than it was there, added to which they are both, a year later, fluent in spanish, and my older one (10) is near the top of the class in all subjects (even those taught in Valenciano).
both have both english & spanish friends ( and many other nationalities), as do I now, and we are settling in better & certainly integrating more with the local community.
We are considering moving to Spain and we have a 5 year old and a baby and they will both be in Spanish State Schools as they will become fluent faster and we want them to mix with the Spanish Children as well as the British. We think it will help them in later life to be Bi lingual. However my children are young and will adapt easier so I can see why it would be easier for an older child to be in a private school with British children. As for bullying that goes on in all Schools I suppose it helps if the school deal with it effectively.

Helen
Old Feb 26th 2006, 4:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by helenp
We are considering moving to Spain and we have a 5 year old and a baby and they will both be in Spanish State Schools as they will become fluent faster and we want them to mix with the Spanish Children as well as the British. We think it will help them in later life to be Bi lingual. However my children are young and will adapt easier so I can see why it would be easier for an older child to be in a private school with British children. As for bullying that goes on in all Schools I suppose it helps if the school deal with it effectively.

Helen

you will find that the attitudes to bullying are a bit different here

my older girl was bullied at first, but had to learn to stand up to them, now they leave her alone

saying that, punishment for bullies is swift if not immediate, and the disciplinary stages are clearly set out
Old Feb 26th 2006, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Education

you will find that the attitudes to bullying are a bit different here

my older girl was bullied at first, but had to learn to stand up to them, now they leave her alone

saying that, punishment for bullies is swift if not immediate, and the disciplinary stages are clearly set out
That is right standing up to bullies is usually the only way that is what I teach my eldest child, there are too many mothers at her school that rush in the school to sort out the slightest problem and I don't think in the long run they are going to help their child.

Helen
Old Feb 26th 2006, 5:38 pm
Experience 5* rating

Originally Posted by helenp
That is right standing up to bullies is usually the only way that is what I teach my eldest child, there are too many mothers at her school that rush in the school to sort out the slightest problem and I don't think in the long run they are going to help their child.

Helen

I don't agree with that approach at all, yes children need to stand on there own two feet and need independance but by sending them back in to a situation of bullying not only are you asking for trouble but you are breeding another generation of bullies. When will people realise that bullying is not acceptable in any circumstances including telling your child to stand up to them. Believe me I know!!!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 4:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

I don't agree with that approach at all, yes children need to stand on there own two feet and need independance but by sending them back in to a situation of bullying not only are you asking for trouble but you are breeding another generation of bullies. When will people realise that bullying is not acceptable in any circumstances including telling your child to stand up to them. Believe me I know!!!
you're right, true bullying is not acceptable, but I really feel that the 'label' is over-used, and by standing up to a true bully a child is not being a bully!

as I said bullying is dealt with swiftly here, but the child still has to stand up for himself, not necessarily by hitting back, though sometimes that is all that works
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

jagbacaj is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
we are hoping to move to chiclana next spring. how do we go about finding schools in the area. I am looking for spanish rather than International.
Any help would be great.
thanks
jan
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:32 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jagbacaj
hi
we are hoping to move to chiclana next spring. how do we go about finding schools in the area. I am looking for spanish rather than International.
Any help would be great.
thanks
jan

go to the local ayuntamiento (council) & register on the padron, and ask there about the local schools

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.