Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

early retirement/health care

early retirement/health care

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:59 am
Just Joined

brightonchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default early retirement/health care

Hi, I wonder if anyone has any advice on my situation...I have taken early retirement and am now of "independent means". As I am below state pensionable age I will obviously not qualify for free health cover after my form E106 runs out. Due to a long term health problem, I can not get private medical insurance. I want to "retire" to Spain (northern Costa del Sol). A solicitor that I spoke to in Spain suggested that I register as "autonimo/self employed " in Spain and pay the minimum social security payment ( which I would be happy to do).However, I have read postings on this forum that suggest that this is not possible if you are not actually earning a living in Spain.
Has anyone any advice/suggestions?
many thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: early retirement/health care

Originally Posted by brightonchris
Hi, I wonder if anyone has any advice on my situation...I have taken early retirement and am now of "independent means". As I am below state pensionable age I will obviously not qualify for free health cover after my form E106 runs out. Due to a long term health problem, I can not get private medical insurance. I want to "retire" to Spain (northern Costa del Sol). A solicitor that I spoke to in Spain suggested that I register as "autonimo/self employed " in Spain and pay the minimum social security payment ( which I would be happy to do).However, I have read postings on this forum that suggest that this is not possible if you are not actually earning a living in Spain.
many thanks
Move to Valencia area where I understand they will cover you under the Spanish Health Care system if you are under retirement age.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I am covered here under the Spanish health care system for free, (I am under retirement age) I went and got a social security card and registered with the local surgery, exactly the same as in the UK also it is better equipped.

pwwm
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:33 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

many thanks
I have been trying to find out the same thing, have a look at this Spanish Social Security I cant find any reference to voluntary payments and it does appear to say that you must be running a business to qualify for self employed.
You seem to be able to in other EU countries so it must be possible here???

Yvonne
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I do not pay a bean and make no voluntary payment of any kind, maybe I struck lucky, yet we are in the local health care system.
pwwm
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I have always understood that NI contributions paid in the UK entitle you to up to two years' cover in the Spanish state health system, but no more than that if you are under retirement age. Is there any variation between different areas of Spain in this respect, does anyone know?
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by YMF
I have been trying to find out the same thing, have a look at this Spanish Social Security I cant find any reference to voluntary payments and it does appear to say that you must be running a business to qualify for self employed.
You seem to be able to in other EU countries so it must be possible here???

Yvonne
the spanish solicitor that i spoke to indicated that the government do not check that you are actually working in spain if you pay autonimo social security payments but this advice seems to differ from other advice that I have received. as you say most other EU countries allow you to make voluntary social security payments...??
Old Oct 4th 2006, 11:28 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

I thought this Sailing Forum forum made interesting reading regarding rights to UK NHS treatment. Also this UK citizens advice website gives info on entitlement to NHS treatment.

I will let you know if we manage to find out more about voluntary contributions here. We are also looking into buying private medical cover and then self funding for my husbands existing medical condition. Medical costs are much lower in Spain so that may be an option until pension age in 5 years.
Yvonne
Old Oct 4th 2006, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Once a spouse is 60 years old then the partner does not pay for prescriptions if needed.
pwwm
Old Oct 4th 2006, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pwwm
Once a spouse is 60 years old then the partner does not pay for prescriptions if needed.
pwwm
thanks for the advice.looks like I will have to set up some sort of business so that I can qualify as an "autonimo"
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:01 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Would it not be cheaper maybe to "pay-as-you-go" on the Spanish health care system?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

We registered on our E106's when we first came here, they run out about 14 months ago, we were given a card each and since nobody at the surgery seems to have noticed we have just carried on blythely,, So why not just do that and see what happens. and if you have to pay after two years, you have to pay, either way its a win, just the first win could be cheaper.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Last week during a visit to the UK, I rang the Newcastle number previously given (thanks to whoever gave that) and they told me that both me and my partner will be covered for free health Care in Spain, through the E106 form, until Jan 2008. We took (Very) early retirement in March of this year. However I believe that, as we live in the Valencian region, we will continue to get free health cover here in Spain.

If anyone knows any different, please let me know.

Cheers

Gadget
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gadget
Hi, Last week during a visit to the UK, I rang the Newcastle number previously given (thanks to whoever gave that) and they told me that both me and my partner will be covered for free health Care in Spain, through the E106 form, until Jan 2008. We took (Very) early retirement in March of this year. However I believe that, as we live in the Valencian region, we will continue to get free health cover here in Spain.

If anyone knows any different, please let me know.

Cheers

Gadget
thanks to all for the info.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough

thanks to all for the info.
Hi, I believe te entitlement to free health care for "early retirees" only applies to the Valencia province. There's a lot of useful info this website on how to obtain a SIP card http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.