E106,E121 etc.

Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:17 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default E106,E121 etc.

Does anyone have any idea how these work?

When I had my E106 it said on the form that it expired on 6 January 2007. My husband was eligible for form E121, which has no expiry date, and when my E106 expired I asked the DSS in the UK if I could be included on my husband's E121 as his dependent as I have no income and sure enough, was sent one, registered it and am now covered again (on the E121).

However, I know people who are not eligible for the E121 and whose E106 has expired and who don't pay into the system or privately, but are still getting free medical treatment.

One answer to this may be that we were told (by an expat) that regardless of what it says about the expiry date on the E106, it actually lasts as long as your residency card. Maybe this varies between areas?

Can anyone clear this up for me (as I like to have things straight in my head)?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

GEEGEEGIRL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: E106,E121 etc.

Pardon my stupidity but I thought that the E121 was not valid for persons living permenantly in Spain.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:30 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

The E121 is for British State Pensioners or people in receipt of long-term UK Incapacity Benefit resident in Spain.

Are you thinking of the (now superceded) E111?

Last edited by scampicat; Feb 15th 2007 at 12:34 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the E121 is the pensioners document, and as long as one of the married pair is over retirement age, the other is covered.

The E106 is a temporary cover, apparantly according to the DWP to cover you whilst you find work in the country of destination so there is no lapse in your cover. Normally lasts up to two years if your contributions are up to date

In Valencia, once you have lodged your E106, apparantly you are covered right up to retirement age when your 121 kicks in I don't know if other areas have the same agreement, and maybe this is what the expat was mentioning because in theory once your 106 runs out ... thats it, private health cares the alternative to carry you through till retirement.

If you have any doubts you can ring the DWP Overseas Medical Benefits on 0191 218 1999 although how much they'll know about individial prov. laws I don't know.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mitzyboy

When the E106 runs out here that is it, until retirement age, but they are happy to let you use the EH1C despite living here.

A friend of mine who lost his wife last year and had E121 (she was 62, he was 63) lost his entitlement to free health cover and has now got to wait until he is 65, so it does not cover you if the spouse dies and you are below retirement age.

pwwm
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi Mitzyboy

When the E106 runs out here that is it, until retirement age, but they are happy to let you use the EH1C despite living here.

A friend of mine who lost his wife last year and had E121 (she was 62, he was 63) lost his entitlement to free health cover and has now got to wait until he is 65, so it does not cover you if the spouse dies and you are below retirement age.

pwwm
Jeez ... better look after the wife for the next 11 years
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Showing your age Mitzyboy.

pwwm
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:34 pm
Ex Expat

Thanks all for your advice, it sseems as though it varies from province to province.

Cleared that one up then!

Last edited by scampicat; Feb 15th 2007 at 3:38 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Does anyone have any idea how these work?

When I had my E106 it said on the form that it expired on 6 January 2007. My husband was eligible for form E121, which has no expiry date, and when my E106 expired I asked the DSS in the UK if I could be included on my husband's E121 as his dependent as I have no income and sure enough, was sent one, registered it and am now covered again (on the E121).

However, I know people who are not eligible for the E121 and whose E106 has expired and who don't pay into the system or privately, but are still getting free medical treatment.

One answer to this may be that we were told (by an expat) that regardless of what it says about the expiry date on the E106, it actually lasts as long as your residency card. Maybe this varies between areas?

Can anyone clear this up for me (as I like to have things straight in my head)?

E121 and E106 are for people moving out permanently, and you should get them sorted at your local social security office, E121 is for a perosn who has reached retirement age in the UK, and his/her husband/wife is also included EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT AT RETIREMENT AGE THEMSELVES. E 106, AFAIK, lasts only for 2 years, but you should by then be registered with your local health people here in Spain. Whatever card you come out from the UK on, you MUST get registered with the local health people before it runs out, otherwise you are not covered and have to pay for everything.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:42 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by mikelincs
E121 and E106 are for people moving out permanently, and you should get them sorted at your local social security office, E121 is for a perosn who has reached retirement age in the UK, and his/her husband/wife is also included EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT AT RETIREMENT AGE THEMSELVES. E 106, AFAIK, lasts only for 2 years, but you should by then be registered with your local health people here in Spain. Whatever card you come out from the UK on, you MUST get registered with the local health people before it runs out, otherwise you are not covered and have to pay for everything.
Yer ..... what I said
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:44 pm
Ex Expat

I would like to point out that the E121 is also for people who are on long-term Incapacity Benefit, and their dependents, for as long as they are on the Benefit (which may be up to State Pension age). Then they can register another E121 as a retired person.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

tawaghorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: E106,E121 etc.

I would like to point out that the E121 is also for people who are on long-term Incapacity Benefit, and their dependents, for as long as they are on the Benefit (which may be up to State Pension age). Then they can register another E121 as a retired person.
Can anyone tell me if the retirement age for men and women are the same. to get the E121
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:58 pm
Ex Expat

It's whenever you are eligible for the British State Pension. For those retiring now it is 60/65.

But if one of you is eligible, and the other is their dependent, it will cover you both.

Last edited by scampicat; Feb 15th 2007 at 6:01 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

It's whenever you are eligible for the British State Pension. For those retiring now it is 60/65.

But if one of you is eligible, and the other is their dependent, it will cover you both.
So if my wife is 60 and i am 61 can i also get the 121
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for your help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.