Dvla

Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Question Dvla

Thought you would enjoy this one.

I bought a LHD from France and registered it in UK in January 2006, moved to Spain in July 2007 and re-registered the car in Spain in September.

In my mail that was redirected from the UK I received a threatening letter from DVLA in January 2007 saying that I must pay a 80 pound fine plus the road tax. Received a further threatening letter in February telling me that they were taking me to court.

I responded with a very polite letter explaining yet again that the car was now registered in Spain and that if there were any competant workers at DVLA they would find that they had paid me a refund of about 40 quid in September. I also assuring them that if I had to attend court to clear my unblemished name it would cost them a great deal in expenses.

At the beginning of March I received a letter from them saying:

'Thank you for your recent enquiry concerning the late licencing penalty requested from you for allegedly failing to relicence your vehicle as required. The contents have been noted and under the circumstances, no further action will be taken on this case.'

Of course we had a good laugh about it but nonetheless were very annoyed that they did not take on board that it was 100% their mistake and of course no apology.

Added to this my OH is still getting letters regarding none payment of TV licence, just how many letters and e-mails does it take for them to get the message that we do not live in UK anymore.

Rosemary
Old Apr 9th 2007, 3:23 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dvla

Originally Posted by The Oddities

I bought a LHD from France and registered it in UK in January 2006, moved to Spain in July 2007 and re-registered the car in Spain in September.

In my mail that was redirected from the UK I received a threatening letter from DVLA in January 2007 saying that I must pay a 80 pound fine plus the road tax. Received a further threatening letter in February telling me that they were taking me to court.

I responded with a very polite letter explaining yet again that the car was now registered in Spain and that if there were any competant workers at DVLA they would find that they had paid me a refund of about 40 quid in September. I also assuring them that if I had to attend court to clear my unblemished name it would cost them a great deal in expenses.

'Thank you for your recent enquiry concerning the late licencing penalty requested from you for allegedly failing to relicence your vehicle as required. The contents have been noted and under the circumstances, no further action will be taken on this case.'

Of course we had a good laugh about it but nonetheless were very annoyed that they did not take on board that it was 100% their mistake and of course no apology.

Added to this my OH is still getting letters regarding none payment of TV licence, just how many letters and e-mails does it take for them to get the message that we do not live in UK anymore.

Rosemary
You were doomed from the beginning the car came from France. did you get rid of the statutory white flag in the glove box. Just in case you have to surrender to someone. next time you drive through france the genedamarie will stop you and tell you you have the wrong number plate.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
Yes, I got the same with my TV licence, I moved out here a few days after it should Have been renewed, and had already informed them that I was leaving the country. They said they would note it, but not to watch TV from the expiry of the licence, in fact we had actually sold the TV in any case. A month or so after leaving I received a demand for the money, and that they would be starting a court case against me for failure to renew. I had also told the local council re council tax, and received a refund, but still got a demand for unpaid council tax, and a threat of legal action.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My cars on a sorn in the UK, although re registered in Spain already. I was hoping that I would be able to sell my private reg whilst it was on the sorn, but it doesn't look like it will happen.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:25 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Oh boy!! We are going to have some fun then when we move over next month - we are already getting threats of court action regarding unpaid gas bills (British gas) on an empty flat we have up for sale (no gas having been used since last April when the last tenant moved out!) and also threat of court action and heavy fine for not having a tv licence at the same address Despite numerous e-mails and phone calls the letters still keep coming! Oh yes - and also Norwich Union demanding one months payment of car insurance from us because our insurance was due for renewal in Jan but we chose another company and told them we didn't want to renew - they didn't listen to us until hubby managed to speak to someone with a brain cell in February (hence they think we owe them one month ) Did I say a brain cell - I should have said half a brain cell
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:27 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, I got the same with my TV licence, I moved out here a few days after it should Have been renewed, and had already informed them that I was leaving the country. They said they would note it, but not to watch TV from the expiry of the licence, in fact we had actually sold the TV in any case. A month or so after leaving I received a demand for the money, and that they would be starting a court case against me for failure to renew. I had also told the local council re council tax, and received a refund, but still got a demand for unpaid council tax, and a threat of legal action.
This is the computer age so it is stupid that all of this is happening.

We had the same problems with the local council too. We were very conscientious about notifying everyone so there is no excuse at all.

The world is mad - or is it just the UK.

Rosemary
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dvla

I bought a LHD from France and registered it in UK.
Rosemary
Hi The Oddities,

Thats my plan except that I intend to buy nearly new from Belgium. I have self imported new RHD cars twice before from Holland and found it quite easy. I think you have to have the car registered in UK for 6 months then there is no tax to pay in Spain but is there anything I should watch out for and did you meet any problems?

Regards,

John.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi The Oddities,

Thats my plan except that I intend to buy nearly new from Belgium. I have self imported new RHD cars twice before from Holland and found it quite easy. I think you have to have the car registered in UK for 6 months then there is no tax to pay in Spain but is there anything I should watch out for and did you meet any problems?

Regards,

John.

You have to have the car registered in your name for more than 6 months and then you don't have to pay the import registration tax, but you have to register it to Spanish playes within 30 days of signing on the padron, otherwise, again, you pay the duty. A gestoria will do the complete registration for you and it costs somewhere between 500 & 900 euros. Get some quotes.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi The Oddities,

Regards,

John.
When we imported the LHD from France we followed the instructions from the DVLA website and registered it. This means that you have to have lights etc converted for it to be registered in UK and then changed again for Spain.

Once in Spain we found an import agent to do the paperwork which cost €600

Rosemary
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:28 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
if you pm me I will send you a copy of our procedures for changing car number plates to Spanish. The cost is around 600 euros plus the cost of the headlights. The work of a gestor etc is on top of that figure.
I might add that in the UK now it is your responsibility to notify the DVLA that the car is no longer on British roads, failure to do so results in a fine.
Dave
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:34 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lionda
Oh boy!! We are going to have some fun then when we move over next month - we are already getting threats of court action regarding unpaid gas bills (British gas) on an empty flat we have up for sale (no gas having been used since last April when the last tenant moved out!) and also threat of court action and heavy fine for not having a tv licence at the same address Despite numerous e-mails and phone calls the letters still keep coming! Oh yes - and also Norwich Union demanding one months payment of car insurance from us because our insurance was due for renewal in Jan but we chose another company and told them we didn't want to renew - they didn't listen to us until hubby managed to speak to someone with a brain cell in February (hence they think we owe them one month ) Did I say a brain cell - I should have said half a brain cell

OH has a CCJ out against him in UK, we have no idea what it is for, his daughter cames out in Feb to see us and brought a letter that had been forwarded to her home for him a few days before. It was the CCJ in the amount of £235, he phoned the debt collecting company who said we would have to ring the credit card company, (we have no credit cards now) so he rang them and asked for information concerning the outstanding amount and could they send it to him in Spain. No, was the answer to that, they would have to send it to the listed addressed on their system, I don't live there he said I live here and have done since 2005. I paid up and cancelled credit card in May 2005. Sorry they said it will have to be sent to that address, he is still ringing them trying to get it sorted and he still has no idea what the money is for. :curse: :curse: :curse:
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:40 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Dxf
I might add that in the UK now it is your responsibility to notify the DVLA that the car is no longer on British roads, failure to do so results in a fine.
Dave
I think it always has been, but who are they going to fine?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:51 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

hi
The DVLA changed the rules about a year ago, if the vehicle was not on public roads, then everything was OK. Now you HAVE (obligation) to tell them it is off the road (and that means off of european roads too). If you don't then the laws of England mean they can chase their fine. DO you still have money in a bank in the UK, or even a pension fund, they can sequestrate the moneys !!!
Dave
Old Apr 10th 2007, 9:50 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi
if you pm me I will send you a copy of our procedures for changing car number plates to Spanish. The cost is around 600 euros plus the cost of the headlights. The work of a gestor etc is on top of that figure.
Dave

Hi Dave

I have sent you a pm.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi
Dave
We did notify them and received a refund but still got threatened so shows that the system just does not work.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.