Reload this Page >

Dual Nationality?

Dual Nationality?

Old May 2nd 2017, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Marie Ryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Nationality?

i'M ALL CONFUSED....

I was born in Spain to British mother and Spanish father....

I received British birth certificate and so british Nationality at the Consulate in the city I was born in Spain

I received British passport: British citizen.

I then got Spanish (DNI Documento Nacional Identidad) later in life when it became obligatory as a teenager,

But my British passport expired in 2014 and as I needed to travel quickly, I applied for a Spanish passport. I now have Spanish Passport but now I need to renew my British passport.

Does this mean 'dual nationality'?

Can I retain both passports?
Thank you for any clarification.

Regards . Marie.
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:51 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Nationality?

In my opinion - yes, no problem at all.
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:21 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marie Ryan
i'M ALL CONFUSED....

I was born in Spain to British mother and Spanish father....

Can I retain both passports?
Thank you for any clarification.

Regards . Marie.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

The UK will allow dual nationality but Spain does not recognise it. So you should have no problem with a renewal.
Is your UK (expired) passport a full citizenship one or one of the other categories of British subject?

It may be worth checking it out at@
https://www.gov.uk/browse/citizenship/citizenship

There is a simple flow chart questionnaire which will give you the answer as only you know your exact circumstance

Last edited by MikeJ; May 2nd 2017 at 9:53 am.
Old May 2nd 2017, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for answer, MikeJ

Yes, Passport says "British Citizen" issued by FCO

So that means I can send a photocopy of my Spanish passport with application, without there being a problem to renew?

I was under impression if UK saw a Spanish passport , then I wouldn't be able to renew my British one...

but perhaps it's the opposite way round? Spain won't let me get a British one?
Hope you don't mind all my daft questions! Thanks for your patience!

Regards. Marie.
Old May 2nd 2017, 4:57 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for answer, MikeJ

So that means I can send a photocopy of my Spanish passport with application, without there being a problem to renew?

I was under impression if UK saw a Spanish passport , then I wouldn't be able to renew my British one...

Regards. Marie.
The only daft questions are those that are not asked.

Rosemary
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:58 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for answer, MikeJ

Regards. Marie.

Why make things more complicated - why send a copy of your Spanish passport?

I would suggest just renewing your expired UK passport in the usual way.
Old May 3rd 2017, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why make things more complicated - why send a copy of your Spanish passport?

I would suggest just renewing your expired UK passport in the usual way.
+1
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

hi again snikpoh,
Thanks for commenting!

It says on the UK Passport application form in the 'Document Checklist', after all the usual stuff you have to send...
* For dual nationals a full copy of any uncancelled non-British passport/British Overseas Territories Citizen passport relating to you.

but I've just been investigating a bit more and it seems there's a big difference between "Dual nationality" and having "two nationalities" ...
As you say, I might be complicating things too much...
Regards.
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

You are entitled to citizenship for both countries and to have a passport for both also. Nationality is quite a different thing. I hold both a UK and Irish passport and travel regularly on both but it is wise to use the same passport to enter and leave a particular country in case the immigration authorities become confused regarding the duration of your visit.
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kieron, Thanks for commenting...

but I think I'm in the case of 'nationality' so if it's different that may be why I'm confused...
I believe Spain doesn't have 'Dual nationality' agreement with UK, only with IberoAmerican countries and a couple more...

The more I read on the Internet, the more I see how complex it can be....
Regards. Marie.
Old May 3rd 2017, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

zilar will become famous soon enoughzilar will become famous soon enough

My children (Spanish father , born in England, living in Spain) had duel nationality until they were eighteen. Then they were supposed to choose, especially my son who was due to do the Spanish military service. Luckily he was not required to do so in the end and since then they have followed a " don't ask,don't tell " policy until recently when my daughter renewed her British passport and was required to send a photocopy of her Spanish one, which she did with no problems of renewal whatsoever. I, however, have had problems after losing my British passport during a house move, and have been told that to the British authorities , a Spanish passport will not cause problems (I have had one since the days of Franco) as long as both passports are in exactly the same name ( which mine are not unfortunately)
Old May 4th 2017, 8:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You are a dual Spanish/British citizen and always have been. You can hold a valid passport from one country or both. It's entirely your preference. There has been no restrictions on dual nationality under UK law since 1949. Spain also permits dual nationality - the only restriction is for those who wish to naturalise as a Spanish citizen but the 'renunciation' process has no legal effect as far as the British government is concerned. The terms 'citizenship' and 'nationality' can have different meanings but are interchangeable in your circumstances.
Old May 8th 2017, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for clarification. Much appreciated. The fog is starting to clear.
Old May 8th 2017, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for details, zilar.
Sorry that you lost your passport!!
I was just wondering how your children had to choose?
So legally should mine have chosen?
Were your children ever notified they had to choose?
Always lots of questions for this foggy issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.