Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving uk registered car with no tax or mot back to uk

Driving uk registered car with no tax or mot back to uk

Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving uk registered car with no tax or mot back to uk

Originally Posted by LolaRose
Wow, really? thanks. Yet again, a presumptuous and judgemental reply. The car isn't mine so I haven't been driving it around without tax/mot. I am merely looking into options for transporting myself and goods back to the uk. There really is no need for people to take the moral highground and get all above themselves when I am merely asking for advice. If you want to ask more about my circumstances or whether I have been actually doing what you are accusing me of before jumping the gun then feel free...until then if you have nothing of any help to contribute then don't bother!
If your bringing back a van load, maybe some companies can transport the car back at the same time, I have been thinking about getting a tow bar on my van and bringing a small car down with me on a dolly, I am sure I read on here or a similar forum that to transport a car is from about £400 depending on the size of it.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:33 am
Just Joined

LizFox is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should make an appointment for an MOT in the UK. Then when you're driving from the port to the garage, you are going for an appointment. Not sure if your insurance will be valid though! Liz
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LolaRose
Hi,
Can anyone tell me please if it is possible to drive a UK registered car back to the UK when the tax and mot has expired? The tax expired last december. We are moving back and wish to use the car to transport our stuff. We will be getting the ferry in santander so won't be driving through france.
Thanks
I cannot understand your logic; you know that in Britain it is illegal to drive without
MOT
insurance
tax
So if you have an accident there & cause damage to someone else think about it.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
The tax is the UK's problem. The car can be put though the Spanish equivalent here ITV. I would not like to say yes as your insurance may not be valid. There is a good chance you wont get insurance if you tell them you have no ITV.. Your 9 months with no MOT..
Sure, they will take your money at the ITV station but it will be illegal
UK cars are still illegal if ITV'd here.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
The vehicle cannot be taxed until it has its MOT, so you need to book the test in advance of travelling - make sure you have written confirmation of your MOT appointment from the garage concerned before you travel - and you will be fine. The appointment needs to be as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK.
On a purely technical, non-judgemental, note I hve a vague notion that if your car has failed it's MoT and the current one has expired, you are only permitted to drive it directly to a prearranged MoT station. You can't have an expired MoT and book a (re)test for, say, next Wednesday and then drive the car around normally, until then.

Be aware that all UK car insurances are now on a national database. Individuals can check their own car and the police can check the insurance status of any vehicle. Ref: http://www.askmid.co.uk/

Last edited by pete_l; Sep 24th 2013 at 1:04 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

This problem is really quite simple as I see it. As the car isn't yours, then presumabky it belongs to someone else. If its been in Spain for longer than 6 months, then it is illegal, as it should have been registered. So if you get stopped in Spain, there is a possibility that the car could be impounded ( and all your goods). If it hasn't been in Spain for longer than 6 months, then it is illegal for you (unless you are also non-resident) to drive the car, unless the owner us in the vehicle with you, and you could then be prosecuted. It is therefore likely that the insurance will be invalid.

Assuming you made it to UK, with no problems, or accidents, then providing you drive it directly to an appointment for an MOT, then this would be okay, but you could still be prosecuted for having no tax.

So the simple answer to the question is, its perfectly possible from a physical perspectuve, but more than likely illegal. Only you can make the decision, as to whether you want to take the risk. Personally, I wouldn't.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 1:49 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
On a purely technical, non-judgemental, note I hve a vague notion that if your car has failed it's MoT and the current one has expired, you are only permitted to drive it directly to a prearranged MoT station. You can't have an expired MoT and book a (re)test for, say, next Wednesday and then drive the car around normally, until then.

Be aware that all UK car insurances are now on a national database. Individuals can check their own car and the police can check the insurance status of any vehicle. Ref: http://www.askmid.co.uk/

..... and would Customs and Excise accept someone off a ferry with a car full of belongings is driving directly to a pre-arranged appointment and what about the onward journey to OPs home? OP would need to change V5 to her name before taxing the car.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile

..... and would Customs and Excise accept someone off a ferry with a car full of belongings is driving directly to a pre-arranged appointment and what about the onward journey to OPs home? OP would need to change V5 to her name before taxing the car.
lol, @ car load of belongings

for the tax though if she is a additional driver on the owners insurance, or has third party cover to drive it then it can stay the same name.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 2:27 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
lol, @ car load of belongings

for the tax though if she is a additional driver on the owners insurance, or has third party cover to drive it then it can stay the same name.

There must be a valid MOT and the name and address on the certificate of insurance must match that on the V5 or V5C to obtain a road fund license for the vehicle.

OP was not the first to ask. I guess a few will risk it and some will regret it.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

There must be a valid MOT and the name and address on the certificate of insurance must match that on the V5 or V5C to obtain a road fund license for the vehicle.

OP was not the first to ask. I guess a few will risk it and some will regret it.
I was assuming that the owner had the vehicle insured.

You can get around it with the green slip, fill it out in pencil and rub it out after.

There is a lot of assumption here today, for all we know the vehicle could be 9 months without a valid MOT but it might have just on her drive for 9 months so it would not be in any worse state than when it had a MOT. I guess it shows the ITV system maybe better with a 2 yr MOT ?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 3:40 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Facts about not having an MOT.
Facts about driving without insurance.
The consequences of driving without the correct documentation.

If you have purchased the car in Spain how do you know it has not got previous fines or outstanding debt on it?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Why not? If the OP had documentary proof that the appointment had been made (or even got the rozzers to phone the garage in question), then it would all be above board.
Plus, you don't need to be the vehicle's owner to get it MoT'd, so long as you have the right paperwork. Though it's impossible without it.
I don't know if it's an offence to drive an untaxed vehicle. The offence might be attributable to the owner (though obv. there is a lot of hassle involved if the cops impound it, esp. if it has all your stuff in it). But it'll be massively inconvenient if you are told you can't continue after being pulled in by the fuzz.

I would dearly love to be a fly on the windscreen if this theoretical situation that we're all huffing ang puffing about came to pass:
Well madam, you say you're not the owner of this ve-HIC-le, it's not taxed and the MoT has run out. Have you got any insurance that covers you driving it? I think you'd better come dahn the station ... No, leave tje vehicle here ... Yes, I know it's a dodgy area and it's packed full of your belongings, but that's too bad. And while we#re talking about it, we'll take it to a weighbridge later to see if it's overloaded. Now, about that broken brake light and bald tyre ...
This could be a whole episode of Police! STOP on it's own
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pete_l
Why not? If the OP had documentary proof that the appointment had been made (or even got the rozzers to phone the garage in question), then it would all be above board.
Plus, you don't need to be the vehicle's owner to get it MoT'd, so long as you have the right paperwork. Though it's impossible without it.
I don't know if it's an offence to drive an untaxed vehicle. The offence might be attributable to the owner (though obv. there is a lot of hassle involved if the cops impound it, esp. if it has all your stuff in it). But it'll be massively inconvenient if you are told you can't continue after being pulled in by the fuzz.

I would dearly love to be a fly on the windscreen if this theoretical situation that we're all huffing ang puffing about came to pass:

This could be a whole episode of Police! STOP on it's own
a similar thing happened to me a while back, when you pay the back tax it takes you right up to the day or end of the current month, so the only offence you can commit is not displaying a tax disc, if the OP does not do that then it could be a issue, you have to pay it either way so best just to pay it, then your straight, then go and tax it.

Anyone can take a car for a MOT, you do not need any paperwork for that.

A little tip aswell if you MOT your car a month before it is due you can get 13 months which may help some expat's
Old Sep 24th 2013, 7:29 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Andy, It is an offence to drive an untaxed vehicle in the UK.
As many have found out when they find their car clamped at the roadside or even worse if stopped, the car driven off on a trailer.
You were lucky not to get caught in a police check.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EMR
Sorry Andy, It is an offence to drive an untaxed vehicle in the UK.
As many have found out when they find their car clamped at the roadside or even worse if stopped, the car driven off on a trailer.
You were lucky not to get caught in a police check.
Indeed I was, I was totally unbeknown to be driving without tax, a minor indescretion I might add.

I have this big yellow van, like bright sunshine, anyway I got a bit annoyed with a neighbour and thought why don't I park my nice big legal van right outside his house, walking the dog one night looked on the windscreen, big yellow ticket stuck to it, when I realised I thought you XXXX

What goes round comes around I guess, They done me a favour in reporting it as I would have prolly had it taken off the road at some point, we are friends now, but I don't think they know I know, why cant neighbours just be nice from the offset ? anyway I was mugged off for £72 backtax and £80 fine, but lile you say I was lucky as I was in and out of London at least twice a week in it, so lucky not to be pulled up by a traffic cop with ANPR but shows the cameras on the masts don't relay much info that is acted on quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.