Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving Spanish Vehicle With English Licence

Driving Spanish Vehicle With English Licence

Old Nov 29th 2006, 8:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Spanish Vehicle With English Licence

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
They also want to be sure that you comply with the rules regarding renewal of driving licences and medical requirements over the age of 50 which as a resident you are required to conform to whether you change your licence or not.

Errr ..... yes, I'll have to look into that
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:02 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Errr ..... yes, I'll have to look into that
good god fines are steep here! Parking ticket in Madrid 90 euros! That's a lot of money for me much less someone on a Spanish wage. On the other extreme fines are so low in Germany that they are just the cost of driving. Speeding in the city is like 25 euros (or less)even massively over the speed limit, while you'll lose your licence for a while the fines are much cheaper. Its almost cheaper to pay the ticket than to pay for parking downtown in a major city in Germany.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:18 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
good god fines are steep here! Parking ticket in Madrid 90 euros! That's a lot of money for me much less someone on a Spanish wage. On the other extreme fines are so low in Germany that they are just the cost of driving. Speeding in the city is like 25 euros (or less)even massively over the speed limit, while you'll lose your licence for a while the fines are much cheaper. Its almost cheaper to pay the ticket than to pay for parking downtown in a major city in Germany.
Now this is a surprise for Germany !!!!!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

They also want to be sure that you comply with the rules regarding renewal of driving licences and medical requirements over the age of 50 which as a resident you are required to conform to whether you change your licence or not.
What medical requirements? We have a Spanish licence and nobody has mentioned this.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

An eyesight and co-ordination test is part of the procedure for renewing your licence.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
What medical requirements? We have a Spanish licence and nobody has mentioned this.
That's because when you exchange your licence there is no requirement for a medical.

When your new Spanish licence comes up for renewal you will have to get a medical certificate from one of the licensed medical test centres.

Renewal notices are now posted to you and you send back the form with the medical certificate and the new licence is posted to you.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

An eyesight and co-ordination test is part of the procedure for renewing your licence.
This is needed to qualify for parking on rounderbouts, junctions and zebra crossings.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:54 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That's because when you exchange your licence there is no requirement for a medical.

When your new Spanish licence comes up for renewal you will have to get a medical certificate from one of the licensed medical test centres.

Renewal notices are now posted to you and you send back the form with the medical certificate and the new licence is posted to you.
You certainly need to be on a Spanish licence before you reach the age of 70. Otherwise you could find it impossible to renew your licence.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

culchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You certainly need to be on a Spanish licence before you reach the age of 70. Otherwise you could find it impossible to renew your licence.
I had my car towed in Cadiz the other day (entirely my own fault). It cost 80 euros to get my car back (plus taxi fare) and apparently a 100 euros fine is winging its way to me...though a lady who was picking up her towed car at the same time told me that the fines very often don´t arrive....fingers crossed.

Also be warned the speed camera is now operating on the last bend on the road into Cadiz (the bend alongside the military barracks).
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

CDL Ben will become famous soon enoughCDL Ben will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by culchie
I had my car towed in Cadiz the other day (entirely my own fault). It cost 80 euros to get my car back (plus taxi fare) and apparently a 100 euros fine is winging its way to me...though a lady who was picking up her towed car at the same time told me that the fines very often don´t arrive....fingers crossed.

Also be warned the speed camera is now operating on the last bend on the road into Cadiz (the bend alongside the military barracks).
Fines often don't arrive but if they are not paid on time (or within the allowed period) then a percentage is added and so it goes on until it is paid. It's only when you come to sell the car and transfer all the paperwork at trafico, that they will inform you of an outstanding unpaid fine and will not allow the transfer to take place until it is paid by either the buyer or the seller of th vehicle.

Often best to chase it up to avoid being caught for a hefty sum at some point in the future.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

culchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really nice

Originally Posted by cdlcaretaking
Fines often don't arrive but if they are not paid on time (or within the allowed period) then a percentage is added and so it goes on until it is paid. It's only when you come to sell the car and transfer all the paperwork at trafico, that they will inform you of an outstanding unpaid fine and will not allow the transfer to take place until it is paid by either the buyer or the seller of th vehicle.

Often best to chase it up to avoid being caught for a hefty sum at some point in the future.

AAAaaaah! I was really hoping that no-one would post that... so that I could continue in blissful ignorance. Logical, of course and somewhere deep in the recesses of my hypothalmus or some such I suspected as much!!

Thanking you for bursting that bubble.LOL!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I understood that UK photocard licences had to be renewed every ten years so if you are living in Spain when it becomes due the problem that mikelincs refers to could materialise far sooner than your 70th birthday.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

northsammi is an unknown quantity at this point

I understood that UK photocard licences had to be renewed every ten years so if you are living in Spain when it becomes due the problem that mikelincs refers to could materialise far sooner than your 70th birthday.

the spanish EU driving licence only lasts for five years.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northsammi
the spanish EU driving licence only lasts for five years.

It is 10 years if you are under 45 when you renew it. Over 70 it is every 2 years.

If you have some medical problems then you may need to renew it more often.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
It is 10 years if you are under 45 when you renew it. Over 70 it is every 2 years.

If you have some medical problems then you may need to renew it more often.

As a matter of interest what happens to speeding fines (camera caught) and other fines that you may not know about? In my case of parking illegally, I knew about it (the missing car was a big clue!) and so I can chase it up. But what if there are other fines that I know nothing about, what then? Seems a tad unfair to just keep adding interest without ever letting me know they exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.