Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving to Spain through France

Driving to Spain through France

Old Aug 30th 2022, 8:57 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to Spain through France

Originally Posted by DLC
If you get the monthly charge paid for you by the hire car company then they will work out cheaper.

If you only pay in the month you use it, the maths of at most one holiday or weekend break per month doesn't work out for me and I just use the credit card, but I can't say that queues in toll booths have ever been that long.
I guess each to their own. My maths are different.

The title of the thread means that its a long journey with many tolls. For me (say) from Calais the tolls are +/-€120. Its a no brainer (for me) to pay a couple of euros to sail through all the tolls on that long drive. Even if we didn't live on the border with Portugal where we use the autoroute regularly - I would get the transponder. 4 country coverage is great and for me personally worth every penny and remains the best optional accessory in the car.

Ive seen queues many times on the toll booths especially in France. Maybe not huge ones, but even 5 cars take some time.. and often its much more. But I just sail through at 30km/h often with a big smile on my face... These pleasures make a journey more pleasant

If you look at Bison Fute you will see that there are horrible periods to travel in France, with several hundreds of km of queues... (Reported just a few weeks ago) Which jam up the tolls. But once you get there the transponder helps.

As I say I haven't used it for a while due to covid and flying in ... And its cost me nothing.

Happy travels

Jon