Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving in Spain

Driving in Spain

Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud of
Default Driving in Spain

Other than the fact that everyone will be driving on the wrong side of the road, is there anything we should watch out for when driving in Spain, e.g. the orange flashing arrows at traffic lights - what do they mean?

Also, we were told that there's a priority system on roundabouts where the inside lane takes priority and so can cut you off if they want to turn right - is that so?

What else do we need to know? Is there a website that will give us a run down on the Spanish Highway Code in English?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:19 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Spain

Originally Posted by MrsMac59
Other than the fact that everyone will be driving on the wrong side of the road, is there anything we should watch out for when driving in Spain, e.g. the orange flashing arrows at traffic lights - what do they mean?

Also, we were told that there's a priority system on roundabouts where the inside lane takes priority and so can cut you off if they want to turn right - is that so?

What else do we need to know? Is there a website that will give us a run down on the Spanish Highway Code in English?

Flashing arrows are just as in USA (and elsewhere) - proceed with caution.. That is, even though the main lights are on red, and the other carriageway is on green, you can make a right turn WITH CAUTION.

Roundabouts are a funny thing over here! The right-hand lane ALWAYS has priority. You will often see cars in the right-hand lane going all the way around - and this is correct. I'm not sure what you mean by 'inside lane' but cars on the left of you do NOT have priority.

Best of luck!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

No not everyone and not all the time! I have been known to revert to the "British system or right side of the road" with little or no indication to other road users.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:49 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

As snikpoh has hinted, the terms inside and outside lane are ambiguous. In the inevitable roundabout thread to follow, can we agree on tight lane and wide lane?

Generally, the wide lane seems to have priority and I believe that is the rule but some drivers use the tight lane and dive off across the wide lane at the required exit. Indicators are generally not used or used in a random fashion.

The best advice is to be careful and expect the unexpected.

I've never come across flashing yellow lights at junctions and wouldn't know what to do if I did.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:57 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
As snikpoh has hinted, the terms inside and outside lane are ambiguous. In the inevitable roundabout thread to follow, can we agree on tight lane and wide lane?

Generally, the wide lane seems to have priority and I believe that is the rule but some drivers use the tight lane and dive off across the wide lane at the required exit. Indicators are generally not used or used in a random fashion.

The best advice is to be careful and expect the unexpected.

I've never come across flashing yellow lights at junctions and wouldn't know what to do if I did.
Why complicate matters - just left and right hand lanes surely? So, ALWAYS drive on the right in Spain unless overtaking - and you don't overtake on roundabouts.

New laws came in some time ago about lane hogging on motorways etc. Follow my rule above (stay on right unless overtaking) and you can't go far wrong.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:14 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why complicate matters - just left and right hand lanes surely? So, ALWAYS drive on the right in Spain unless overtaking - and you don't overtake on roundabouts.

New laws came in some time ago about lane hogging on motorways etc. Follow my rule above (stay on right unless overtaking) and you can't go far wrong.
Fair enough - left and right works - on two lane roundabouts in Spain anyway.

Not much point in the left lane if we follow your rule is there?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

I think the flashing arrows you refer to are to warn you when turning at a green light that there is a pedestrian crossing and they also have a green light to cross. That is the only flashing light I see at traffic lights.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato

Not much point in the left lane if we follow your rule is there?
Absolutely right! The law is an ass in this case. The rules in Portugal are like those in the UK, but in Spain the inside lane has no priority - ever - and in theory you could end up going round and round for ever!

Basically always use the outside lane and beware of cars in the inside lane cutting across you to exit - they may have been trying for a couple of hours!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:59 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by Fred James
Absolutely right! The law is an ass in this case. The rules in Portugal are like those in the UK, but in Spain the inside lane has no priority - ever - and in theory you could end up going round and round for ever!

Basically always use the outside lane and beware of cars in the inside lane cutting across you to exit - they may have been trying for a couple of hours!
As far as I am aware just about everywhere else is the same, it is Spain that is different.

I hope we don't start comparing and contrasting the rules on UK and Spanish roundabouts - calling them left and right lanes might get a bit confusing.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I find that joining a duel carriageway in the UK is a question of "slotting in" which is acceptable but in Spain it is a matter of stopping and waiting my turn. Trying to jockey for position causes people to swerve and wave or plough into the back of the car that is joining.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Just beware of Spanish drivers. Without them, everything would be brilliant.
However, since they're in the majority, give extra attention to their habits, such as tailgating or joining motorways on the slip roads.
The flashing amber lights are confusing; they actually mean you can proceed & are often found at junctions with a filter right/left, as in France.

Roundabouts in theory are straightforward, but as a general rule, I tend to keep on the outside lane for safety, unless I'm going to have to change lanes to the inner one.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
I find that joining a duel carriageway in the UK is a question of "slotting in" which is acceptable but in Spain it is a matter of stopping and waiting my turn. Trying to jockey for position causes people to swerve and wave or plough into the back of the car that is joining.
In the UK the sliproad joining a carriageway is known as the acceleration lane.
In Spain you drive to the end, stop, check your makeup ( men included ) and then amble out in the most economical fuel saving mode possible.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

That's ok when the roundabout has two lanes- several near Murcia city have 6 lanes! Only once did I use the left hand lane because I was going around to the left for my exit, I could not get across the other 5 lanes due to traffic! I had to go around a couple of times filtering from one lane to the other until I got to the outside of it.

You need to be very careful at roundabouts, I've found that many Spanish negotiate them slowly to avodi the inevitable.

So too with dual carriageways and motorways, extra care when entering or leaving, especially entering. In the UK they have the exit followed by the entry sliproads. Here they have the entry before the exit sliproads- leaving the scenario of you trying to enter the motorway only to come car to car with one that is exiting- that is the reason for the give way lines on entering dual and motorways, you are supposed to give way to any vehcile that is exiting across your path.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that confused me at first was the frequent 100kmh sections of motorways.
You know. The 100 speed limit sign with two arrows underneath and a distance stated, for example 4km.

Now I first thought they were telling me that the speed limit was changing to 100kmh IN 4km until I sussed out that the limit was 100kmh the next 4kms.

Not that most Spanish drivers see these signs at all
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

calidana is an unknown quantity at this point

Other than the fact that everyone will be driving on the wrong side of the road, is there anything we should watch out for when driving in Spain?
What you will likely find is that styles of driving here are somewhat, shall we say, different. Words like:
courteous
considerate
patient
fair
safe distance
give way

do not enter the locals vocabulary.

In their place appear:
selfish
inconsiderate
rude
me first what ever
tailgating
overtake no matter what
I am Fernando Alonso.

Last edited by calidana; Feb 13th 2014 at 8:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.