Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving in Spain

Driving in Spain

Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving in Spain

Im even more scared now lol x
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missbad
Im even more scared now lol x
Just get in it an go, you will soon get the hang of Spanish driving, it`s like a knock on effect.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Just get in it an go, you will soon get the hang of Spanish driving, it`s like a knock on effect.
as in - you knock into the car in front

it knocks into the one in front of it

etc............................................... ..................
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

afternoon. If i can chip in with my 2 cents worth............

I have driven extensively (for pleasure and business) in many countries around the world, mainly on the right hand side too. Spanish drivers are, without doubt, NUTTERS.

They have no respect for other peoples property either, which when Amanda and i bought our LHD car, i wasnt too worried about the scratches on it already! (its spent the last few years in spain, on uk plates, from its previous owner who used to drive back once a year to tax and MOt it for some bizzare reason)

....however instead of complaining, i just have to shrug my shoulders also, and accept it. Drivers in Malta are pretty bad btw, and they drive the same side as us but all seem to have a death wish.? French are mad, and italians can legally run pedestrians over without being arrested as italian law states that the pedestrian should not have been on the road in the 1st place!

.......i might add that drivers in the USA are far worse and as far as i know they dont have any MOT, just emission checks, so the car behind you, 2 inches from your bumper at 60 mph may also have defective brakes, a drunk hillbilly behind the wheel and a loaded pistol in the glovebox.

so spain isnt THAT bad but its bad, just pay extra attention when driving, thats about all i can suggest

i reckon thats enough negative stereotypes for one day
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice

not quite the same, but i still remember when the N340 had no central reservation and nutters used to pull out all the time across the road!!!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

I know my poor baby car will get battered, i also think i might giving it some knocks somewhere along the line, but i will give it a try as soon as i get to spain. Car park first lol lol x
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by missbad
I know my poor baby car will get battered, i also think i might giving it some knocks somewhere along the line, but i will give it a try as soon as i get to spain. Car park first lol lol x

Best bet to get a very robust or sturdy car i would say. Volvos are pretty good so i'm told, or 4x4's. Good luck anyway
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by painterhombre
Best bet to get a very robust or sturdy car i would say. Volvos are pretty good so i'm told, or 4x4's. Good luck anyway
Hi

Mine is an oldie lol i will use that for a while before i look at buying a lhd. x
Im sure i will be fine
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:46 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
Especially as a lot of the roads are diabolical! Not just pot holes and rough surfaces, but they have great big metal speed bumps everywhere that shake you to the core and there are very few road signs announcing them!

Jo xxx
Old Aug 7th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Travelled by bus when we first arrived then I got a job where I would have to drive to work. I was absolutely petrified and thought of driving through Benidorm or Alicante filled me with absolute horror. Now I just don't worry about it and I am fine, certainly better me driving than being a panic stricken passenger. I HAVE LEARNT NOT TO WORRY ABOUT ANY SCRAPES ON THE CAR THOUGH
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:22 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

As we only holiday in Spain at the moment - I only get chance to drive when hubby gets fed with ferrying us about, he also thinks it is more natural.

I have jumped in the passenger side once or twice in error wondering where me steering wheel has gone!!!!!! then sheepishly getting out hoping nobody as seen me.

I have found it easier on the busy roads, if it is to quiet you can forget which side you should be on. In traffic you can follow other cars - turning etc.

Also remember you must stop at the stop signs - some friends of ours recently go a 120 euro fine from the Guardia for not stopping properly, they were hidden behind a bridge.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CLR
As we only holiday in Spain at the moment - I only get chance to drive when hubby gets fed with ferrying us about, he also thinks it is more natural.

I have jumped in the passenger side once or twice in error wondering where me steering wheel has gone!!!!!! then sheepishly getting out hoping nobody as seen me.

I have found it easier on the busy roads, if it is to quiet you can forget which side you should be on. In traffic you can follow other cars - turning etc.

Also remember you must stop at the stop signs - some friends of ours recently go a 120 euro fine from the Guardia for not stopping properly, they were hidden behind a bridge.
Hi
Thanks for all your advice xxx
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLR

The 217 Mijas turnoff on the 340 ?

They make a fortune there. ;-))
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:18 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
The 217 Mijas turnoff on the 340 ?

They make a fortune there. ;-))
Thanks for that - I work to hard for my pennies - damned if I will give them away because of a painted line.

In Shetland we have one main roundabout and no traffic lights. Over the past couple of years we have had two mini roundabouts installed. Talk about confusion - it makes Spanish drivers look like perfect gents. By the way I am from England, so learnt to drive there not here - thank god. When the 1st roundabout was installed (near a supermarket) one of my neighbours tried to go shopping - he ended up going round it three times - came off and went home - no shopping. Had to stop for a six pack at the local shop to get over his shock.

We wave to everybody here on the single track roads - something they do not seem do in our Spanish village when we give way for somebody, is that the norm.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:22 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

My partner passed her test in East London and spent many years driving around the area. When we moved to Spain (and she had lived there before), she was terrified to drive.

Eventually I persuaded her that she was being silly. So she set off one day, in the narrow streets of Denia. She returned home without any wing mirrors, and has never driven in Spain since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.